*SPOILERS!* Anyone else irritated by how Ada was portrayed here?

#1Frozen_MemoriesPosted 5/1/2013 12:53:12 PM(edited)
Seriously, the woman's attitude is making it near impossible for me to finish her storyline. She's acting like Dante from DMC without all the charisma or self-awareness. I don't remember her being like this in the older games. Even the snarkiest members of the cast knew when to shut up and get down to business but Ada on the other hand.... I think I'll just mute the volume and turn off the subtitles.

She was great when she was just a mysterious spy with questionable morals. I don't know what the writers were smoking when they decided that she needed to be smartass too. Even during the more "serious" parts of her campaign her terrible dialogue shines through.

"I was just resting my eyes."

GOD DAMN IT WOMAN. You were nearly killed by a mutated stalker. Would it kill you to show any other emotion other than smug self assurance? What made Leon's wisecracks in RE4 work is because he played off other people. Ada on the other hand just spouts out "cool" one liners out of the blue like she's waiting for an applause from an invisible audience only she can see.

It's like she's aware of the 4th wall and knows how much plot armor she has and just decides to be a gigantic ass her entire campaign.

It doesn't help that her storyline pretty much devalues everyone else's. The whole story of this game can best be summarized as "Ada saves everyone's asses.". Every struggle the characters went through was useless because hey! Everyone's favorite International Woman of Mystery saves them all from certain death!

And the terrible writing even amplifies the stupidity of her "love story" with Leon.

It's been decades! Why are these two still acting like shy high school students whenever they meet? Their little cat and mouse game has stretched to the point where it's extremely hard to give a crap about whether or not they end up or not. The ending of Leon's campaign was a great place to finally tie things up but NOPE they had to make Ada all mysterious and make her leave Leon hanging.... Again.

Her being constantly in control of the situation and being completely cool despite of what's going on around her doesn't make her a good character. It just shows that the writers were lazy and made a gigantic Mary-Sue.
---
God sees everything.........So stop jacking off........
#2largerockPosted 5/1/2013 12:47:38 PM
I like to think that there is a third-clone of Ada who we are playing as in RE6. The Real Ada is just being completely baws somewhere else sipping lemon iced tea.
---
Not changing this sig until Final Fantasy Versus XIII comes out.
Official Atlas of the god of war ascension board.
#3jsquad4136Posted 5/1/2013 12:54:19 PM
Gotta say I fully agree. Sure she was pretty much the same in RE4 BUT there was one thing that made her more easy to endure. She wasn't CONSTANTLY self-worshiping herself in that game. She is constantly talking out loud about how easy every situation is in this game.

I've never wanted to throttle a fictional character as much as I did her when she spouted a certain line while I was playing the hardest mode. "This will be easy." She says that **** when you are about to fight Ubistvo. I do NOT want to hear my character saying smug things like that when I'm about to pull a few hairs during a certain fight.

God I 'd NEVER play Dark Souls if you had to play as her. I can only imagine the smug things she'd say while fighting Ornstein and Smough on new game +++++. The woman needs a shrink because she has a SEVER case of narcissism and may very well start up the whole 'cloning' gig so she can have herself to talk to and make out with . There's probably not a single room in her home without paintings of herself.

Hurry the hell up and kill her like you did Wesker Capcom. She is by NO means a good guy and she is every female fatale stereotype put into one.
---
"I haven't been a child since I was 9 years old."
#4Alky88Posted 5/1/2013 12:56:18 PM
Ada has always been like this, it's nothing new.
---
"Official Jill Valentine of the MvC3 boards!"
#5SSJ_JinPosted 5/1/2013 12:57:51 PM
Frozen_Memories posted...
Ada on the other hand just spouts out "cool" one liners out of the blue like she's waiting for an applause from an invisible audience only she can see.

Which is true. Agent. She only sees Agent.

But in all seriousness, I agree and I assume a lot of Ada fans would agree. I'm not really a big fan, but she was just ridiculous in this game. Annoying really.

But in general, the whole Leon x Ada thing has just been played out. I'm sick of it. I always wanted Leon x Claire or Leon x Jill anyway.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KDXVEOqj8
http://antir.site90.net/
#6Frozen_Memories(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 1:00:43 PM
Alky88 posted...
Ada has always been like this, it's nothing new.

She wasn't as annoying though. Like the other poster said it's the AMOUNT of self worshipping that's irritating. In the previous games yes, she also confident but the difference was that she wasn't smug. Think back on the Separate Ways campaign on RE4 where she was down-to-business.
---
#7Cartwheel_KickPosted 5/1/2013 1:40:44 PM
Yeah It seems like characters keep getting changed from game to game. Not to mention that her face is really different now. It doesn't seem like Ada anymore than RE5 Jill looked like REmake Jill.

I'm not as angry about it as you are, but the inconsistency and randomness of the characters' personalities is part of what made me stop from caring about the RE universe after playing RE6. "All flash, no substance"...
---
You're going to die one day. You'll disappear completely, forever.
#8siberian142Posted 5/1/2013 2:19:00 PM
No, not really. Except for maybe Resident Evil 2, Ada has always been an incredibly smug person. And a lot of the time, she deserves to be, she often annihilates everything in her path.

She escapes Raccoon City after being smashed into a monitor in 2. She glares daggers at a Ganado who left a scratch on her thigh after she almost got her head chopped off and she pompously defeats Krauser in 4. Though debatable, she may have purposely lost to Svetlana to gain entrance to her underground lair in Damnation. In 6, she was the only one taking the fight with Deborah seriously. She was the cat during the game of cat and mouse with the Ubivisto. And the way she moves around is incredibly efficient (her first encounter with the Ubivisto, for example. She leaps behind a door, kicks it shut, and then pulls a piece of wood onto the door, sealing it shut). Her skills and intellect set her apart from the other protagonists, she's pretty much always in control. The few times she isn't is when she throws herself in front of Leon in order to protect him to either point out their relationship or that Leon is still badass. If it wasn't for that and fallacy of people controlling her during gameplay, she'd probably just strut through entire outbreaks easy as pie.

If anything, I'd say it's more the voice actor, the extended campaign and, naturally, the bad writing that makes her a little cringe-worthy in this game. If I recall, her old one was more adept at voicing the dud lines.
#9skermacPosted 5/1/2013 2:24:08 PM
Ada is the best thing about the RE universe!!!
#10Frozen_Memories(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 2:50:29 PM
siberian142 posted...
No, not really. Except for maybe Resident Evil 2, Ada has always been an incredibly smug person. And a lot of the time, she deserves to be, she often annihilates everything in her path.

She escapes Raccoon City after being smashed into a monitor in 2. She glares daggers at a Ganado who left a scratch on her thigh after she almost got her head chopped off and she pompously defeats Krauser in 4. Though debatable, she may have purposely lost to Svetlana to gain entrance to her underground lair in Damnation. In 6, she was the only one taking the fight with Deborah seriously. She was the cat during the game of cat and mouse with the Ubivisto. And the way she moves around is incredibly efficient (her first encounter with the Ubivisto, for example. She leaps behind a door, kicks it shut, and then pulls a piece of wood onto the door, sealing it shut). Her skills and intellect set her apart from the other protagonists, she's pretty much always in control. The few times she isn't is when she throws herself in front of Leon in order to protect him to either point out their relationship or that Leon is still badass. If it wasn't for that and fallacy of people controlling her during gameplay, she'd probably just strut through entire outbreaks easy as pie.

If anything, I'd say it's more the voice actor, the extended campaign and, naturally, the bad writing that makes her a little cringe-worthy in this game. If I recall, her old one was more adept at voicing the dud lines.

The feats you mentioned are exactly why I think Ada is RE's biggest Mary-Sue coming only second to Alice of the movies. She's always in control, she always wins, she's always on top. She's not a character who became a badass through sheer effort like the others. She's basically a cool-moment-machine made by lazy writers who have no idea where to take her character.

Yes, she was confident in the other games but that was it. She was CONFIDENT not overly smug like the one we got in the game. She kept quiet and did her job and only acts remotely smug when she's ABSOLUTELY SURE she's won like the fight with Krauser in RE4. She's not an interesting character anymore though. She's a one-dimensional cardboard cutout that does whatever "awesome" thing the writers want her to do.

One of the things that make a game interesting is seeing characters overcome odds. Ada simply trounces over everything and makes ALL THE OTHER MAIN CHARACTERS look absolutely useless next to her plot armor induced invincibility. Because like I said in my first post Ada basically "wins" the game all on her own without any effort.

Think about it: Would any of the characters in the game survive if the almighty Ada Wong didn't grace them with her presence? HELL NO. In ALL OF THE CAMPAIGNS in the game Ada saves the main characters from certain death.

She's a walking plot device who's only purpose is to move things along when the writers are too lazy to make things work realistically. Ada removes all form of tension in the game's already weak plot by being a completely unstoppable creator's pet.

Tension is something that ALL TYPES of stories benefit from. It's what makes you keep going. Having a completely unbeatable, unstoppable character diminishes that.
---