*SPOILERS!* Anyone else irritated by how Ada was portrayed here?

#31TurduckenPosted 5/1/2013 7:33:56 PM
Exactly. In RE4 they gave her a Batman gun to zipline everywhere with. Best character development in the series. And in RE6 her smirking and arm-folding really improved.
---
THE FIGHT WILL CONTINUE, AS LONG AS THE AMERICA INSIDE MY HEART IS STILL ALIVE
#32siberian142Posted 5/1/2013 8:36:18 PM
She's a bit of a Mary Sue, but I am not sure that I'd say she's perfect enough to be considered a full one. While impressive, her abilities might just represent a character who has devoted their lives to honing them. Other characters in this franchise can do similar feats, but she's apparently gone through training to be a spy for a large part of her life. She's incredibly limber and calculating, allowing her to tactically take enemies down, but she lacks the stamina and defense to take a hit very well and a good, hard smack easily takes her down. Her offensive also tends to be lower than the other protagonists too, she instead relies on manipulating her opponent with her intellect, her extreme mobility and her environment. Even with that, she still gets beat up, so she isn't the perfect fighting force.

Sure, she saves people a lot, but she's often in the background flying around and skipping half the stage. She'll be in that position.

I wouldn't say she's a cardboard cutout. She was a cold hearted spy that cared little for others, intent on only carrying out her job. After 2, she develops a crush on Leon and starts showing sympathy for others. She constantly throws herself into danger to save Leon. Sometimes her smugness bites her in the butt because she underestimates her opponent (strutting past a "dead" Saddler resulted in a date with his tentacle...eye...thing). She cares for and sympathizes with Carla despite all she did and shares her disgust of Simmons. She's not always the infallible super spy. She has flaws and a personality.
#33xXxAgentAdaxXxPosted 5/1/2013 11:01:41 PM
Ada's personality is like that, deal with it. She got dem hatuez salttyyyyy I see.

But seriously, I love her character a lot and she's easily on of the most interesting characters in this franchise.

Ada is a FEMALE ANTI-HEROINE stereotype; meaning she's portrayed as sexy, perfectionist, mysterious, unknown intentions, high-tech gadget user, on-again off-again romantic relationship with the male protagonist, cocky, makes a joke out of everything, manupulative but still is extremely emotional.

This is apparent in another female anti-heroine form Capcom: Crimson Viper. Or a more popular mainstream one like Selina Kyle, also known as Catwoman.

HOWEVER...
What made me fell in love with Ada was her being an antiheroine that was NOT a stereotype. Think RE2; she was mysterious, doing anything to get to her job, but she wasn't literally invincible. She failed, she sometimes relied on others and ultimately, her mission, while completed, was far from perfect.

They developed some of her character through RE4, while adding new elements to her character (cockiness, jokes a lot, acrobatic-kinda-invincible-woman) that were taken to an extremely WHOLE another level in RE6.

She was still herself in RE4, her mission was completed but was not perfect.

And now, meet Ada Alice Wong in RE6 and Damnation!
Invinicible, throws /too/ many jokes..etc

In Damnaion she was this extremely intillegnt and agile spy, a bit too much maybe. Although she completed her mission, it wasn't perfect (she at least got captured by Svetlana).

She's literally saving everyone's *** in RE6. People would say experience made her that steng, but that's /too/ strong. I understand the complaints, but I wouldn't say it makes me COMPLETELY hate the character. Not as amazing as before, yeah, but not a completely hated character.

With all that said, I still love Ada and think she's the most interesting character.
I understand why would people hate her, because people are opinionated.
---
Formerly known as xXxAdaxXx.
#34xXxAgentAdaxXxPosted 5/1/2013 11:04:50 PM
siberian142 posted...
She's a bit of a Mary Sue, but I am not sure that I'd say she's perfect enough to be considered a full one. While impressive, her abilities might just represent a character who has devoted their lives to honing them. Other characters in this franchise can do similar feats, but she's apparently gone through training to be a spy for a large part of her life. She's incredibly limber and calculating, allowing her to tactically take enemies down, but she lacks the stamina and defense to take a hit very well and a good, hard smack easily takes her down. Her offensive also tends to be lower than the other protagonists too, she instead relies on manipulating her opponent with her intellect, her extreme mobility and her environment. Even with that, she still gets beat up, so she isn't the perfect fighting force.

Sure, she saves people a lot, but she's often in the background flying around and skipping half the stage. She'll be in that position.

I wouldn't say she's a cardboard cutout. She was a cold hearted spy that cared little for others, intent on only carrying out her job. After 2, she develops a crush on Leon and starts showing sympathy for others. She constantly throws herself into danger to save Leon. Sometimes her smugness bites her in the butt because she underestimates her opponent (strutting past a "dead" Saddler resulted in a date with his tentacle...eye...thing). She cares for and sympathizes with Carla despite all she did and shares her disgust of Simmons. She's not always the infallible super spy. She has flaws and a personality.

This is also very accurate.

I wish people would try to look into her charcacter, it was very well-written (until Damnation/RE6 at least).

But people are opintionated. So yeah.
---
Formerly known as xXxAdaxXx.
#35edward18Posted 5/1/2013 11:06:12 PM
Ada is a FEMALE ANTI-HEROINE stereotype; meaning she's portrayed as sexy, perfectionist, mysterious, unknown intentions, high-tech gadget user, on-again off-again romantic relationship with the male protagonist, cocky, makes a joke out of everything, manupulative but still is extremely emotional.

And in this kind of series that's sorta a bad thing character-wise.

This is apparent in another female anti-heroine form Capcom: Crimson Viper. Or a more popular mainstream one like Selina Kyle, also known as Catwoman.

Dunno who Viper is but Catwoman always annoyed me too.

They developed some of her character through RE4, while adding new elements to her character (cockiness, jokes a lot, acrobatic-kinda-invincible-woman)

ugh...

She was still herself in RE4, her mission was completed but was not perfect.

She was more annoying than in 2 in 4.

And now, meet Ada Alice Wong in RE6 and Damnation!
Invinicible, throws /too/ many jokes..etc

She was already bad enough in 4.

In Damnaion she was this extremely intillegnt and agile spy, a bit too much maybe. Although she completed her mission, it wasn't perfect (she at least got captured by Svetlana).

God that fight was stupid.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#36werewolfgoldPosted 5/2/2013 1:15:10 AM
Courtenay Taylor however, decided when she got the role as Ada that she would add her own take on the character (which she has admitted to doing herself in interview).

It doesn't help that naturally Courtenay's voice is raspy and not very smooth. She states she had to do ALOT of warm up just to get her voice sounding like she did in the game.

She also admitted refusing to watch any of Sally's Ada, which personally I find arrogant, as a well established character like Ada already has all her foundations set, WHY try and change her now!?

Ignoring them like she did resulted in the Ada we got. Smug, snarky, emotionless and just bland. The same goes for how she was portrayed in Damnation. So smug, no emotion.

I wouldn't call it arrogant. It's more common than you think. Sometimes actors will go in blind so they're not influenced to just "imitate" the previous actor, which can come off as forced because...they're not that actor. It's so much about changing the -character-.
---
The full moon is beautiful, don't you think? Have you ever had the chance to look at it?
#37Dark__ThronePosted 5/2/2013 2:22:58 AM
Pretty much every character in this game is incredibly unlikeable. The only character's I actually did like were Piers, Helena and Sherry.

Leon, Chris, Jake, Ada, Simmons and all the other characters just were crap.
#38nedim100Posted 5/2/2013 2:31:08 AM
Dark__Throne posted...
Pretty much every character in this game is incredibly unlikeable. The only character's I actually did like were Piers, Helena and Sherry.

Leon, Chris, Jake, Ada, Simmons and all the other characters just were crap.

Same here,although I didn't think Jake was that bad tbh
#39shnoob2Posted 5/2/2013 8:27:16 AM
Hmm, I somewhat agree and disagree with a lot of what has been posted in this topic.

I agree that this game did the bare minimum to move the story (or what little there is of a story) of RE forward. Jake's campaign introduced a new character, so that was the biggest story changer of anything in the game. Chris, despite having the best storyline, didn't truly change that much. Piers died, but it probably should have been Chris. Leon was...well, Leon. Contrary to what many people say, I felt they stayed true to Leon's personality from RE4. He's older, but still a joker.

The biggest waste of time in this game has to do with Leon and Ada leading each other on. How many times do we need to hear, "Ada!"? They should have had them confront each other about their feelings, or lack thereof, during Leon's epilogue. Does he just fantasize about her when they aren't involved in a virus threat?
---
"GET OFF MY PLANE!"- Han Solo in Airforce One
DLC and Online Passes = the downfall of video games.
#40edward18Posted 5/2/2013 8:30:11 AM
I felt they stayed true to Leon's personality from RE4. He's older, but still a joker.

...god damnit...
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai