OK, so i'm late to the party.

#1Kill_Goku_2Posted 5/2/2013 6:43:09 AM
I got around to getting RE6 when it went on sale, I got it and i've beaten Leon's story and have gotten started on Chris.

So i'll jump out and say that I started the franchise with RE4
Then I went back and played the first 3 and enjoyed them endlessly. (but CV was too hard for me) so explain to me guys.

Why does this game get so much hate?
Sure it's not RE5 but it's pretty good for what it is.
I'm not trolling i'm serious. Sell me on why it's bad.
Is it something with the plot? I've only beaten Leon's story so am I missing out on something?
#2slapper1Posted 5/2/2013 7:19:59 AM
There are 3 major reasons that this game was so polarized with it's reviews:

1: Scripted story sequences- Pretty much 75% of the game had scripted story sequences occurring in which the game forced you to do a certain thing (or fight a boss a certain way) in order to progress while offering no freedom to the player. This was a terrible idea on Capcom's part as forcing a players hand so much in a 20 hour game can lead a player to not want to replay the game at all (like many players have refused to do).

2: Too many set pieces and action segments- Back in the day, RE was all about Survival Horror which provided the player limited ammo and supplies, presented numerous puzzles and required thought in order for the player to beat them. RE 6 on the other hand is extremely linear and easy enough that a 5 year old that has played any action based shooter can beat it with ease. In short, RE has been having an identity crisis for quite some time now and this has angered many players.

3: Uneven story pacing and protagonists acting out of character- The 4 stories in RE 6 drop you right in the middle of the action without properly leading up to the events that the protagonists get caught in or providing suitable back-stories for the new characters. It's as if Capcom expected us to know who all of these new characters are and why they are in these situations in the first place. This poor story setup is only worsened when the very flow of the game's story between Campaigns is handled rather poorly (numerous plot points are completely overlooked for example). On top of that, the known protagonists themselves act somewhat out of character for odd reasons (Leon is randomly naive again, Chris is far too angry for a soldier of his caliber, and Ada has this "mastermind" complex that just doesn't suit her that much and she's a little arrogant which is not one of her personality traits).

I could go on, but these are the main points that make or break the game for most players and I completely understand why some like this game and others don't. Despite it's flaws, I still give this game an 8.5/10 as it is a very good their-person shooter with excellent graphics and fun gameplay mechanics even if it doesn't feel much like an RE game.
---
When facing a zombie apocalypse, don't join up with a group. Why? Because you'll end up blowing your own head off due to all the pointless drama caused within.
#3edward18Posted 5/2/2013 7:26:15 AM
Resident Evil 4 is the worst main game in the series.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#4slapper1Posted 5/2/2013 8:06:23 AM
^ Technically, this is actually true as it has the worst story of any of the numbered RE games. Although RE Gaiden is probably the worst RE game in the series.
---
When facing a zombie apocalypse, don't join up with a group. Why? Because you'll end up blowing your own head off due to all the pointless drama caused within.
#5Kill_Goku_2(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2013 8:39:08 AM
Well the only real part I had an issue with was the underwater area and cavern are in Leon's campaign to be a real pain. The puzzles were just...ugh..

I also agree on Chris suddenly being an alchohalic being off-putting and weird.

I don't wanna side-track, but I don't see any issue with RE4, sure it gets kinda campy when you get to the Castle, but besides that, it's good for what it is.
#6saleonkennedyPosted 5/2/2013 8:39:24 AM
edward18 posted...
Resident Evil 4 is the worst main game in the series.

"Edward, you're small time"-Leon
---
gamertag: Leon Kennedy I2
Don't speak evil of someone you don't know for certain, and if you do know ask yourself, why am I telling it?-Johann Kasper Lavater
#7shnoob2Posted 5/2/2013 9:06:10 AM
Most all of the bashing this game gets, GameFAQs wise, stems from parroting some of the negative professional reviews.

Most all of the bashing this game got, professional review wise, has to do with the shift away from horror to all-out action. That GameSpot review was an act of fanboy spite.

Being a fan of the action REs, my main gripes with RE6 are the absence of bonus costumes in the campaign, every campaign level feels similar, the lack of costumes in the bonus modes, and the removal of weapon upgrading / selling.

I'd give the game a solid 7.5 (8.0 at the highest) because there is a lot of fun to be had here, but it has some nasty shortcomings that the game consistently trips up on.
---
"GET OFF MY PLANE!"- Han Solo in Airforce One
DLC and Online Passes = the downfall of video games.
#8edward18Posted 5/2/2013 9:06:40 AM
*eye twitch*

http://warahi.deviantart.com/art/Why-Don-t-You-Like-Resident-Evil-4-357678234
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai