[POLL] Shooting Mechanics

#1GoldsicklePosted 5/13/2013 9:06:00 PM
Which Shooting Mechanic Do You Prefer? - Results (126 votes)
Cone-of-effect-shooting, without the ability to move (RE, RE2, RE3, RE:CV)
3.17% (4 votes)
Cone-of-effect-shooting, with the ability to move (RE: Outbreak File#2)
5.56% (7 votes)
Over-the-shoulder cross hair/laser aiming, without the ability to move (RE4, RE5)
17.46% (22 votes)
Over-the-shoulder cross hair/laser aiming, while moving (RE: Revelations, RE6)
73.81% (93 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I was going to call the outdated RE's shooting "lock-on shooting" but it's not really "locking-on" to the enemy if you compare it with the shooting mechanics of the first Dino Crisis, the Siren series, Silent Hills 1-4 and Devil May Cry, where the character continuously focus their aim on a single enemy, even if both player and enemy are moving.

I decided to call it "cone-of-effect" because precise aiming isn't required.
You can shoot at eye level to a Cerberus running at lower than waist level and yet the bullet will still hit them.
I remember shooting at Nemesis when only his arm is exposed and yet I can see blood spatters on his chest, like I just shot a magic bullet.
Even if the projectile can be seen, it slightly homes in on the enemy, like the crossbow in Code: VERONICA.

The only exception would be launchers, such as the Grenade Launcher or Rocket Launchers.
But even these weapons have large hit boxes.

Meanwhile, the hit box for projectiles in RE4-RE6 is so precise that your shots can go under the arms or between the legs of the enemies if you're not careful.

I remember claims that "it's no challenge if you can see where you're aiming and manually hit the enemy's weak points" but the "point at enemy's general direction" aiming in the earlier RE games takes away the challenge and fun much more.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#2dillpickle69Posted 5/13/2013 10:40:59 PM
you can shoot at eye level to a cerberus running at lower than waist level and yet the bullet will still hit them

I want to see what kind of Wanted bullets you're using, because the cerberuses I've been shooting at waist level are either too close to be shot normally or too far to be shot while aiming down.

As for the OP, I prefer OTS while moving because nobody stops moving whenever they aim, it's just ridiculous in this day and age, and I don't feel it contributes to the horror factor at all, simply convenience.
---
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/4589412067_e501411c4f.jpg
http://www.mindistortion.tv/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=dillpickle61
#3The 1 ExecutionerPosted 5/13/2013 10:53:03 PM
RE6 mechanic is the best for me and I've been a fan since 1996. Campaign is the only thing that dissapointed me.
---
Resident Evil 6 High Scoring Mercenaries (PS3 & XBOX):
http://www.youtube.com/the1executioner
#4lopy81Posted 5/13/2013 11:22:10 PM
I chose 4,5. I don't have a problem with 6's control but I never used the walk and shoot. I still stood still when taking a shot and wasted less bullets. (I'm not great at shooters lol)
---
---
Psn : sd070109
#5EdalborezPosted 5/13/2013 11:29:17 PM
Not so much the simple walking-and-shooting, but shooting and being able to dive in an emergency is what sells me on RE6 style.
#6Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 5/13/2013 11:53:45 PM
dillpickle69 posted...
I want to see what kind of Wanted bullets you're using, because the cerberuses I've been shooting at waist level are either too close to be shot normally or too far to be shot while aiming down.

Even in the REmake, your handgun shoots magic bullets that automatically hits a low-running Cerberus.

Compare shooting a zombie dog in older RE games and in newer ones, like RE5, Operation Raccoon City or RE6.

The 1 Executioner posted...
Campaign is the only thing that dissapointed me.

For me, it's due to having too many cramped spaces for the stage designs.
---
#7jpv2000Posted 5/14/2013 7:15:47 AM
I prefer the RE 6/Revelations method. Although...that auto aim was nice. ;-)
---
More and more, I find myself wondering if it's all worth fighting for...for a future without fear...yeah, it's worth it. (Chris Redfield)
#8Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2013 9:14:41 PM
We sure came a long way.

I remember how back in 2009, there were comments about how "Resident Evil will never have walk-and-shoot" in the RE5 forums.

How times change.
---
#9so_realPosted 5/15/2013 1:04:22 AM
How I ready my weapon and fire doesn't make the game any more or less scary. Having to aim can be challenging depending on how they design an enemy and they have more creative liberty when it comes to the enemy's weakness.

I don't utilize the feature all the time, but it is useful when I need to realign a shot or dodge a projectile mid-combat. If they're going to use an OTS camera it would be negligent to not include moving and aiming, honestly. Of the changes made to the gameplay post RE4, this was a positive one.
#10Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 5/15/2013 3:18:37 AM
so_real posted...
I don't utilize the feature all the time, but it is useful when I need to realign a shot or dodge a projectile mid-combat. If they're going to use an OTS camera it would be negligent to not include moving and aiming, honestly.

In RE4, if you need to reposition while aiming, you'll need to:

Lower gun, turn left/right, move forward, turn left/right back towards target, draw gun and re aim.

In RE6, it's a matter of:

Tilt the left stick until line of fire is reestablished.

This is the most objective way of pointing out how the older scheme is outdated, due to how there are so many steps required for a simple action back then.
---