If we want to do an RE marathon..

#1Ein_SophPosted 5/16/2013 4:42:23 PM
my friend and I wanted to do an RE marathon for halloween but we've decided to pull it closer since we're doing a Fatal Frame marathon instead (we did one for Silent Hill last year). The reason being that Resident Evil simply has more games and I feel like some of them can take longer to beat than any of the Fatal Frame games. I'm looking at you, RE4.

She will also be playing some of these games for the first time and she can really take her time with them <<

So in order to speed things up a bit, I'm wondering if you guys think we could cover the RE2 story as well as Code Veronica by just playing Darkside Chronicles. Essentially, my question is, do you guys think that Darkside Chronicles is a good retelling of those two stories? I realize that we'll be missing the files and other logs that give more flavor to the story but I'm willing to make that sacrifice IF the game actually tells the story coherently.

I have no problem with RE2 and 3. They are great games that we could revisit at any time. I do, however, want to us to play co-op, which I hear that the game has. That way, we could sort of split the single player and co-op games. I would like her to play REmake as that is, in my opinion, the best remake I've seen in any game. Then we'd go on to Darkside Chronicles, RE4, Revelations, RE5, and lastly, RE6. We can throw zero somewhere in there but that's just an option.

So what do you guys think? Would Darkside Chronicles appropriately cover the story of RE2?
---
Bougyo no tame no bougyo nashi. "There is no defense for defense's sake." - Kendo saying.
PSN: Spearman-Rho
#2edward18Posted 5/16/2013 4:43:16 PM
Moreso than it'd cover CV
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#3Coryo61827Posted 5/16/2013 4:50:59 PM
Eh even though I kinda enjoyed dark side chronicles, if you're playing for the sorry I wouldn't recommend it cause it skips around a LOT of stuff.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#4dillpickle69Posted 5/16/2013 5:34:26 PM
Buy it and play through yourself to decide, it would only take a day or two. Though in my opinion, it retells RE2 fine and CV not so much.
---
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/4589412067_e501411c4f.jpg
http://www.mindistortion.tv/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=dillpickle61
#5skermacPosted 5/16/2013 5:45:59 PM
Ein_Soph posted...
my friend and I wanted to do an RE marathon for halloween but we've decided to pull it closer since we're doing a Fatal Frame marathon instead (we did one for Silent Hill last year). The reason being that Resident Evil simply has more games and I feel like some of them can take longer to beat than any of the Fatal Frame games. I'm looking at you, RE4.

She will also be playing some of these games for the first time and she can really take her time with them <<

So in order to speed things up a bit, I'm wondering if you guys think we could cover the RE2 story as well as Code Veronica by just playing Darkside Chronicles. Essentially, my question is, do you guys think that Darkside Chronicles is a good retelling of those two stories? I realize that we'll be missing the files and other logs that give more flavor to the story but I'm willing to make that sacrifice IF the game actually tells the story coherently.

I have no problem with RE2 and 3. They are great games that we could revisit at any time. I do, however, want to us to play co-op, which I hear that the game has. That way, we could sort of split the single player and co-op games. I would like her to play REmake as that is, in my opinion, the best remake I've seen in any game. Then we'd go on to Darkside Chronicles, RE4, Revelations, RE5, and lastly, RE6. We can throw zero somewhere in there but that's just an option.

So what do you guys think? Would Darkside Chronicles appropriately cover the story of RE2?

RE4 doesn't take long to beat on a speed run. I can do it in 3 and a half hours.
#6Ein_Soph(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2013 6:03:26 PM
skermac posted...
Ein_Soph posted...

RE4 doesn't take long to beat on a speed run. I can do it in 3 and a half hours.

We're not doing a speed run of the game. RE4 took me around 20 hours the first time through. Hell, I might not even play it myself, and if that is the case, you can multiply that number by 1.5
---
Bougyo no tame no bougyo nashi. "There is no defense for defense's sake." - Kendo saying.
#7kalibre16Posted 5/16/2013 11:35:48 PM
Both Chronicle games do an adequate job of retelling the story in a condensed format but they are certainly not a replacement for the actual games. Not only are some events cut but others are severely altered (RE3 and CV I'm looking at you) on the gameplay front though they are great games to play especially with a buddy as the AI never helps so its better to have someone with you

Personally I get bored watching others play (don't get me wrong I love the RE trilogy) but if i'm not playing I just feel like the person is taking too long going from location to location

So I guess if you are in it for the story and atmoshere go with the originals and if you are impatient and would prefer to play with your friend then the chronicles will do just fine : ) gee I hope that helped
---
---
"A good essay is like a mini skirt its long enough to cover all the important stuff but still short enough to keep you interested"---
#8Keroro_2350Posted 5/17/2013 1:41:19 AM
**Little bit of Spoiler**

Darkside Chronicles only retells the main parts of both Resident Evil 2 and CV,it skips a little bit,just a tiny of bit of RE2 where after when you've killed the alligator,it immediately skips to the part where you were already in the Umbrella facilities.

CV however has a few differences between the original and DC. DC version does not shows you how awesome Claire is that she run away from an armed chopper and kills 20 of guards with 3 bullets and how she got caught and it also didn't show you the person that caught Claire and told Chris where Claire is. It also skips a big part of where Chris arrive the island,kills the giant worm,met Alexia,confronts with Wesker and use an airplane to reach the mansion where Claire was being held captive.

Darkside Chronicles objective is to let you know the important and main story of both original game and skips a few minor part of the game and change a little of the storyline.For example,fighting all forms of Birkin at the circle hallway in the facility,both Claire and Leon fights Mr.X together and Chris and Claire fights Alexia together.

So if you want a clearer picture of both RE2 and CV then the original game is your best bet,but if you just want to have fun with your partner and only wants to know the main parts of both games then DC is your choice.
#9Ein_Soph(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2013 9:05:55 AM
Thank you for the responses :)

I suppose I'll use REmake to gauge how fast we'd be going on a "regular" RE game. If we're taking a long time, we might just play DC, since I want to speed up our marathon a bit while maintaining the co-op aspect and story bits to a max, if possible.
---
#10skermacPosted 5/17/2013 9:51:50 AM(edited)
Ein_Soph posted...
my friend and I wanted to do an RE marathon for halloween but we've decided to pull it closer since we're doing a Fatal Frame marathon instead....

I have the first Fatal Frame and haven't played it yet. It's been on my shelf a few years and I keep meaning to get to it but I keep getting distracted by newer games.

Is it good enough to buy the other games in the series too? How many games are in the series?