[POLL] Item Drops

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 6
  3. [POLL] Item Drops
2 years ago#101
Goldsickle posted...
That's totally a fallacy.

"If you can't define an RPG, it means that "Survival Horror" exists".

Sorry but that's absolutely ridiculous and downright stupid.

Nah it's actually very sound reasoning. Your justification for survival horror not existing is that it's not possible to give a universal, set-in-stone definition. You can't give a universal description of an RPG either (and I gave you the chance to) so that means you have to deny both genres or admit that RPG exists, which would destroy your reasoning for survival horror not existing. Neither genre has a specific definition so that means they are both legit video game genres or neither one is. So which is it gonna be?

You said "co-op/item drops have no place in "Survival Horror"":
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605603-resident-evil-6/66686030/750703724
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605603-resident-evil-6/66307116/746466931
Now you're contradicting yourself.

Not a contradiction at all. They have no place but that doesn't mean an sh game can't have those things. They have no place because they work against the horror aspect. Being alone is always scarier.

Your proposal that a game "sticks with it's genre" is a more of a middle finger to "variety".

Some games that try to do a little of everything like Half Life 2 can be pretty awesome but many games that try to be a jack of all trades wind up falling short. If every game did that things would get pretty generic.

Oh, the denial.

You're responding to me because you're annoyed by what I said.

If I was upset I would put you on my ignore list so I wouldn't have to deal with you anymore and that's probably what a sane person would have done lol. I respond to you because I like to argue, it's that simple. I mean what I say so nah I'm not a troll. I'm convinced you and your buddy ZeeDogge are though.

At one point, you told me to "find a new song to sing"

Yes because saying the same thing over and over makes you sound like a broken record.
---
www.morbid-obsession.com
2 years ago#102
Goldsickle posted...
It's not my standard's but Capcom's.
They're the ones who calculate and specify things that way.

While RE6's sales went below expectations, you still have RE5 to consider, since it's the best-selling game in the franchise.

I don't care lol. I count all versions of a game and RE1 on the PS1 alone pulled 5 million. Not like they haven't milked the new games for all their worth so I think it's fair to count the ports. RE5 may be the fastest seller but you don't know by how much and like I mentioned before, they are spending a lot more to make games now than they did 15 years ago only to achieve about the same level of success.

That's just wishful thinking.
Anyone with common sense will know that they'll keep changing.

Reminder:
Dead Space, System Shock and The Last Of Us are considered "Survival Horror" by some of it's fans.
These games have frequent item drops.

How do you respond?

Knowing Capcom it might be wishful thinking but we'll have to wait and see if they mean what they say. Things can only get worse for them if they don't start paying attention to what their fans want though. As far as those games you mentioned, System Shock is listed as an RPG on wikipedia and I would say ammo drops are pretty infrequent in Dead Space and TLOU. Doesn't matter anyways because I never said survival horror games absolutely can not ever have lots of ammo drops.
---
www.morbid-obsession.com
2 years ago#103
XxAxem_BlackxX posted...
so that means you have to deny both genres or admit that RPG exists,

Didn't I tell you I wasn't a fan of "genres staying within the lines"?
I also mentioned that "genres are blurring", so trying to classify genres is really pointless in this era.

More of that short-term memory and illiteracy there, Ax.

In other words, I'm not bothered if you wanna conclude that "RPG also doesn't exist!".
For the record, it's easier to specify RPG back then, since such games are very consistent in the 80's and 90's. Nowadays, it's a mixed bag. Final Fantasy XV will even discard turn-based battles, a defining trait of RPGs.

We've strayed away a bit but we're back to "defining the traits of "Survival Horror" that are universal".
I'm listening.

They have no place but that doesn't mean an sh game can't have those things.

"No place" = "can't have those things".

Contradiction, alright.

You could just rethink your definition for "Survival Horror" or keep pushing your weird version of the English language.

So far:

- Horror theme
- Slow pace

So Luigi's Mansion and Bible Black are "Survival Horror"?

If every game did that things would get pretty generic.

It'd be more generic if games limit it's play-style instead of trying to include more elements in a single title.
Unless there's a commandment somewhere that "thou shalt not mix genres".

If I was upset I would put you on my ignore list

That happens when you hit rock-bottom.
You're still in that stage where you're thrashing around, trying to keep afloat.

I mean what I say so nah I'm not a troll. I'm convinced you and your buddy ZeeDogge are though.

I'm merely posting my thoughts and will defend my views when someone else challenges it.

You respond because you find something offending about what I said, tried to use flawed logic to change my mind and then got all "fox and grapes" with me when you can't convince me.
The whole "getting enjoyment out of others" is exactly what a troll does and you've admitted to being one.
---
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)
2 years ago#104
XxAxem_BlackxX posted...
I don't care lol.

Sorry but that's just the standards in the game industry.
It's not just how Capcom determines sales rate but other companies as well.
You can go ahead and make up your own rules but it won't change anything.

The verdict is that despite it's underperformance, RE6 still sold much more than many of the old-school titles.
If you still want to calculate later editions and ports, then it's fair if you calculate RE5's Gold Edition and the upcoming special edition of RE6 as well.

RE5 may be the fastest seller but you don't know by how much

5 million copies in around two months.
I read the news, you know.

System Shock is listed as an RPG

System Shock 2.

Try again.

ammo drops are pretty infrequent in Dead Space and TLOU.

Meaning you didn't play these games.
Item drops are frequent in Dead Space. It's even one way of indicating if the enemy's dead for the first game.
Item drops are also frequent if you played the Last Of Us in Normal mode or below. I'm also getting ready-made bombs and Molotov cocktails occasionally.

Reminder:

It wasn't important to for games to be specified as "Survival Horror" years before. How come it's important now?
---
2 years ago#105
*nuzzles Goldsickle*
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
2 years ago#106
So yeah, item drops shouldn't be strange in a horror game.
---
2 years ago#107
More votes, please.
---
2 years ago#108
Why? They don't mean a thing to you to begin with.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
2 years ago#109
To be honest, even I thought the rebuttal where "there's more than enough ammo for every enemy for the old RE games" wasn't cutting it, since no matter how you put it, there are limited ammo in the older games and you can't change that.

But after looking back at the issue further and reconsidered how the cone-of-effect shooting makes guns shoot magic bullet that almost never misses, I think the people who mentioned that kinda have a point.

The only time "limited ammo" makes sense to me was in Silent Hill: Homecoming where melee is more of a primary attack, while guns are to be used if the situation is too dangerous to depend on melee (at least that's how I'd play it).
And the guns are no free lunch, since landing a shot depends completely on the player's own accuracy, rather than some auto-targeting/hitting mechanic.
---
2 years ago#110
Who are you talking to?
---
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 6
  3. [POLL] Item Drops

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived