[POLL] Item Drops

#111Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 6:50:48 AM
100 votes!
---
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)
#112edward18Posted 8/20/2013 7:15:30 AM
What's important about that?
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#113so_realPosted 8/20/2013 4:58:19 PM
One thing I've noticed is that people fail to realize that a "survival horror" game is about balance, and not a "Ten Commandments" guideline of specific things. Ammo drops, regenerating health, etc. are not inherently charged with an emotion. They are tools with no bias.

This means they can exist in "survival horror". But they can also be used incorrectly. The reason why many Resident Evil fans lament over things like this is because they throw off the balance the way they're currently used. But Resident Evil's issues with being scary are a culmination of decisions on Capcom's part of not resolving balance issues or neglecting effort to create an appropriate atmosphere altogether.
#114Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 5:47:51 PM
so_real posted...
One thing I've noticed is that people fail to realize that a "survival horror" game is about balance, and not a "Ten Commandments" guideline of specific things. Ammo drops, regenerating health, etc. are not inherently charged with an emotion. They are tools with no bias.

This means they can exist in "survival horror". But they can also be used incorrectly. The reason why many Resident Evil fans lament over things like this is because they throw off the balance the way they're currently used. But Resident Evil's issues with being scary are a culmination of decisions on Capcom's part of not resolving balance issues or neglecting effort to create an appropriate atmosphere altogether.

Older games like Clock Tower and Alone In The Dark did fine without the "Survival Horror" label.

After "Survival Horror" was "established", all it did was create a generation of fanboys who are too picky about what should or shouldn't be in a horror game.

Also, what's "scary" or not is subjective, so what scares you might not scare others and vice-versa.
Another thing to consider is that one played so many horror games that it's difficult to be scared anymore, no matter how hard the developer tries.

For me, the monsters of Resident Evil are really just new species of animals.
I can only really get scared with supernatural stuff, like Siren, Silent Hill or Fatal Frame.
In fact, I was only scared by the first RE because I didn't know the origin of the zombie outbreak and thought it was supernatural.
---
#115edward18Posted 8/20/2013 5:50:12 PM
And Resident Evil Remake is the only game that's ever scared me.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#116bronzefrogPosted 8/21/2013 7:56:05 PM
This is me, wishing for a good Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay game. Let there be supernatural spookiness everywhere, madness and insanity!
---
Onepunch Man - Shingeki no Kyojin - Vinland Saga - One Piece - Soul Eater - Yu Yu Hakusho - Planetes - Break Blade - Beelzebub - The Breaker
#117aj4x94Posted 8/22/2013 1:19:40 PM
I personally don't mind the enemy drops, but I could go either way to be honest. I would like more horror games with randomized item drops.

Dead Space pulled this off quite well. For the most part, item boxes were static, but the contents were random depended on what you needed. If you were low on health, the boxes would more likely than not have a health pack. Ditto for killing enemies with low health.

I love Dead Space. :)
---
Playing: The Last of Us, System Shock 2, Splinter Cell Trilogy, Siren Blood Curse, Alan Wake, Splinter Cell Blacklist
PSN: T-Snake94, XBL: T-Snake 94
#118Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2013 8:25:10 PM
aj4x94 posted...
I would like more horror games with randomized item drops.

At most have item drops that are consistent with the defeated enemy.
A zombified cop should have a gun and bullets on their person.
A turned survivor may have some medicine for their own use still with them.

I disagree with no item drops at all.
---