[POLL] Item Drops

#51Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2013 1:16:04 AM
largerock posted...
Since Versus XIII is the old build and thus will never come out my sig is forever this stupid little thing.

Oh well.

I guess you should move on, so you can have room for sexier sigs.
---
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)
#52largerockPosted 7/16/2013 1:18:55 AM
I'd make an alt account to get rid of this but sadly one I made before got banned so yeaaaaah...

I'm in a pickle.
---
Not changing this sig until Final Fantasy Versus XIII comes out.
Official Atlas of the god of war ascension board.
#53XxAxem_BlackxXPosted 7/16/2013 1:33:27 AM
Really? How can you fit inside something so small? :D jajaja
---
www.morbid-obsession.com
#54XxAxem_BlackxXPosted 7/16/2013 1:51:35 AM(edited)
Goldsickle posted...
It totally is.

You can say "this game is considered "Survival Horror"", "that game is considered "Survival Horror"" but can you describe what is this illusive "Survival Horror" thing?

You can't, which is why you're trying to hide behind shoddy, transparent reasoning.

Like I said, the games I listed are considered survival horror by the people that play them and by the developers that made them. That's more than good enough for me. They also all have two things in common: horror theme, slow pacing.

If there aren't any statistics or reliable sources backing this up, then it's just a Weasel word.

I'm going based on the general opinion in online communities. If there's some hidden majority of the fanbase that likes the action direction better then why don't they come to internet forums to talk about the games like normal people do? Are they just shy or something?

Don't forget the poor sales for RE6 and the fact that the developers came out and acknowledged the desire for the series to go back to its roots. If we were a minority, they wouldn't do that because no company caters to minorities. It's that simple. You don't hear Rockstar talking about bringing back a top-down camera view for Grand Theft Auto now do you?

Remember that the creators themselves don't like the older series either.

You're talking about something totally different than I am. You're talking the mechanics and controls. What I want is a return to slower paced horror gameplay. I don't care if they use tank controls and fixed cameras or not.

They can make money making games in the direction they want

Yeah but for how long? They can't keep dodging what their fans want. Eventually it's gonna come back to bite em in the ass. It already has with RE6 because they sold more than 2 million less than what they wanted. And that's not the only one of their games that greatly undersold. Capcom is not held in very high regard by gamers at all right now and that can only mean bad things for them.

Ever since then, I played almost every RE game in order, except for the GC titles, which I played on Wii later.

By your personal standards, I should be considered a "true fan" (although I still don't believe in that s***).

Yep. Never said you wadn't.
---
www.morbid-obsession.com
#55largerockPosted 7/16/2013 2:05:57 AM
XxAxem_BlackxX posted...
Really? How can you fit inside something so small? :D jajaja

I'm special.
---
Not changing this sig until Final Fantasy Versus XIII comes out.
Official Atlas of the god of war ascension board.
#56Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2013 2:06:07 AM
XxAxem_BlackxX posted...
Like I said, the games I listed are considered survival horror by the people that play them and by the developers that made them.

The problem is that you can't come up with a universal, consistent description for "Survival Horror".

You claim that "Survival Horror" is only "slow-paced" and "has a horror-theme".
But based on my conversations with other people, they mentioned a lot of things, like "ammo must be scarce", "there should be no regenerating health" or even more specific things like "no first person view" and so on.

What makes your description right? What makes the others' false?
See what I mean when I said "Survival Horror" is just a mess of personal opinions?

I'm going based on the general opinion in online communities.

Don't forget the poor sales for RE6 and the fact that the developers came out and acknowledged the desire for the series to go back to its roots.

"General opinion"? Based on what?
Like I said: statistics, please.
I don't listen to Weasel Words.

And the "desire to go back to it's roots" could have a different meaning.
Remember that "horror" is subjective.
For example, they might make another game which revolves around a mansion with puzzles but won't use prerendered backgrounds and includes melee.

What I want is a return to slower paced horror gameplay.

And I'm telling you that the chances are low because the developers not only prefer the new direction but found a fanbase that supports it.

Yeah but for how long? They can't keep dodging what their fans want.

"Dodging"?

RE6 was made for me:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605603-resident-evil-6/63306502

And I think I already made it clear that I'm a veteran fan.
---
#57XxAxem_BlackxXPosted 7/16/2013 5:47:33 AM
Goldsickle posted...
But based on my conversations with other people, they mentioned a lot of things, like "ammo must be scarce", "there should be no regenerating health" or even more specific things like "no first person view" and so on.

Well if someone says survival horror games can't have regenerating health, a first person view or plentiful ammo they are proven wrong by Siren, Amnesia and FF. Those are all considered survival horror games. On the other hand there are no slow-paced horror themed games that aren't thought of as sh. There you go.

*sigh* Everything is a fight with you huh? You know what would happen if you went to a general RE board and asked if they like the horror or action direction better so don't pretend like you don't. If you really need proof try doing a poll on some RE boards like IGN or Capcom Unity. Actually there's already a big thread about an RE2 remake on CU with nearly everyone supporting the classic over the new style. So why don't all these action RE lovers you say exist talk about the game on message boards?

Also like I said, developers don't cater to minorities so if Capcom were confident that we wanted RE to be an action fest they wouldn't talk about taking RE back to its horror roots.

And I'm telling you that the chances are low because the developers not only prefer the new direction but found a fanbase that supports it.

They never said anything like that. They said they felt the mechanics were old and outdated and we're not talking about that here. Focus bro.

"Dodging"?

Yeah fans have complained about the action direction for years now and Capcom haven't done anything about it. Now with RE6 underselling so bad it seems like they took the hint but knowing them who can really say. Anyway a company can't keep going against what their fans want like Capcom has been doing. They have possibly one of the worst reputations of any video game company and things can only get worse for them if they don't start treating the people that buy their stuff with more respect.
---
www.morbid-obsession.com
#58ZeeDoggePosted 7/16/2013 5:58:50 AM(edited)
XxAxem_BlackxX posted...
Goldsickle posted...

Well if someone says survival horror games can't have regenerating health, a first person view or plentiful ammo they are proven wrong by Siren, Amnesia and FF. Those are all considered survival horror games. On the other hand there are no slow-paced horror themed games that aren't thought of as sh. There you go.

*sigh* Everything is a fight with you huh? You know what would happen if you went to a general RE board and asked if they like the horror or action direction better so don't pretend like you don't. If you really need proof try doing a poll on some RE boards like IGN or Capcom Unity. Actually there's already a big thread about an RE2 remake on CU with nearly everyone supporting the classic over the new style. So why don't all these action RE lovers you say exist talk about the game on message boards?

Also like I said, developers don't cater to minorities so if Capcom were confident that we wanted RE to be an action fest they wouldn't talk about taking RE back to its horror roots.

They never said anything like that. They said they felt the mechanics were old and outdated and we're not talking about that here. Focus bro.

"Dodging"?

Yeah fans have complained about the action direction for years now and Capcom haven't done anything about it. Now with RE6 underselling so bad it seems like they took the hint but knowing them who can really say. Anyway a company can't keep going against what their fans want like Capcom has been doing. They have possibly one of the worst reputations of any video game company and things can only get worse for them if they don't start treating the people that buy their stuff with more respect.

Broaden your horizons

Also, State of Decay is the most literal example of survival horror ever made, and it has fast paced combat with dodging and wrestling moves
---
lol assault rifles are machine guns.... d'oh! :P btw so are submgs and anything that has automatic fire.
~squiggy9996999
#59Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2013 6:35:25 AM
XxAxem_BlackxX posted...

Still deep in "subjectivity" territory.

You have no way of proving that what you said is a universal, general and established description of what "Survival Horror" is.

Seriously, "Survival Horror" is just an illusion.

A game is either "horror"-themed or not.

Everything is a fight with you huh?

It's common sense that you back up your claims.
What's stopping me from saying "the majority agrees with me" and not provide citations?

The interesting thing about Capcom Unity is that discussions about old-school RE games were so low in activity that they stopped having their own forums.
Mostly the latter games had individual forums.
If you wanna discuss about the earlier games, you have to do so in the "General RE" forum.

They never said anything like that.

They totally did.
In the RE4 "Making of" video, the producer said that the original staff were bored of the old formula.
The one who pushed for over-the-shoulder camera was Shinji Mikami himself.

Yeah fans have complained about the action direction for years now and Capcom haven't done anything about it.

That's because you have an extremely narrowed-down perception of what RE fans are.
You're forgetting people like myself.

Veterans who grew up with the series but support the change.
I come across similar people like me here, so don't try to convince me I'm the "only one" who thinks that way.
---
#60XxAxem_BlackxXPosted 7/16/2013 5:03:39 PM
Goldsickle posted...

Still deep in "subjectivity" territory.

You have no way of proving that what you said is a universal, general and established description of what "Survival Horror" is.

I do though because every game that fits my description is considered survival horror without exception. The old RE games, SH, FF, Siren, Clock Tower, Haunting Ground, Obscure, all have different attributes but all have a horror theme and slow pacing. Those are the two things they all have in common.

The interesting thing about Capcom Unity is that discussions about old-school RE games were so low in activity that they stopped having their own forums.
Mostly the latter games had individual forums.
If you wanna discuss about the earlier games, you have to do so in the "General RE" forum.

That wouldn't be because the games are 10-15 years old now would it? *rolleyes*

In the RE4 "Making of" video, the producer said that the original staff were bored of the old formula.
The one who pushed for over-the-shoulder camera was Shinji Mikami himself.

I'm not gonna keep talking with you if you don't pay attention. The staff said they didn't like the old formula, meaning fixed backgrounds, camera angles and tank controls. Not what we're talking about here.

Veterans who grew up with the series but support the change.
I come across similar people like me here, so don't try to convince me I'm the "only one" who thinks that way.

Sure but like I said those players are a minority and again as proof I point to the online RE forums filled with people that like the classics better and want the series to go back to survival horror. I also point to developer comments about taking the series back to its roots which they would not do if we were the minority.
---
www.morbid-obsession.com