[POLL] Item Drops

#91edward18Posted 7/20/2013 10:02:50 AM
Then why make the topic? It's asking what people prefer. Their opinion.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#92Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2013 10:58:06 AM
edward18 posted...
Then why make the topic?

Curiosity. Like all my other polls.
---
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)
#93edward18Posted 7/20/2013 11:35:35 AM
Then why are you negating the purpose of a poll such as this?
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
#94Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2013 11:39:28 AM
edward18 posted...
Then why are you negating the purpose of a poll such as this?

There's a difference between popular opinion and misguided fantasies.
---
#95edward18Posted 7/20/2013 11:45:36 AM
....good for it?
---
#96XxAxem_BlackxXPosted 7/21/2013 5:30:54 AM
Goldsickle posted...
Since when was the discussion about me requiring to define what an RPG is? And how is it relevant to the discussion in the first place?

You claim that survival horror doesn't exist because it doesn't have a universal definition. I disagree but for the purpose of making my point we're assuming it's true. The same holds true for the RPG genre and I gave you the chance to prove that wrong but you couldn't give me a description of what makes an RPG game. Either define an RPG or that means it exists as a genre despite it not having a concrete definition and that means survival horror exists as well. Or, that means both the RPG and survival horror genre don't exist.

And do I have your word that these "group of guys'" point of view are somehow significant and that their personal opinions are universally accepted?

I'm just following your own logic about how "some" people considered Silent Hill and so forth "Survival Horror".

They were just regular people I was talking with. Didn't say their opinions were important but you said "some" people thought one thing so I pointed out that some people didn't.

I didn't say sh games absolutely cannot have things like co-op or tons of ammo drops but those things work against the horror aspect, not for it. I know, I know, you don't care about that and you just want to shoot enemies. Broaden your horizons man. There's lots more to video games than that.

Not caring about genres doesn't mean I don't care about variety.

Sure it does because if there was only one genre (like fighting) there'd be little variety in video games. Fighting games are fun but who wants to play them all the time?

The more you show attention to this, the more you're giving power to my opinion and perspective.
I didn't beg you to have an argument with me.
I just posted a few sentences that wasn't even directed at you and it hit a nerve somehow.

You can get annoyed about this all you want but you only have yourself to blame for giving me all this attention.

Your egotism is what is lending this imaginary "power" to your opinions. I gave you the truth, that I'm arguing with you because I like to and I'm pretty much using you for my enjoyment. I want to argue and you're giving me what I want. Of course you are too arrogant to believe such a thing could be true. If I was annoyed, I wouldn't be responding to you.

And you're forgetting that RE1 had over a decade worth of headstart.
RE6 managed to hit 4.9 million in less time.
And the game hasn't been ported to future consoles yet.

In addition, adding later ports or special editions into the total is not a fair comparison.
The Platinum page only lists ports released on the same date (or at a very close date).
Ports released a year later or so are listed separately.

I don't care what you think is fair. I count all versions of a game. RE1 sold 5 million copies on the PS1 alone plus whatever the ports did so that puts it ahead of 6. I dunno why you keep assuming they were still selling new copies of PS1 games ten years on but that's pretty stupid. It stands to reason that most of a game's sales happen within the first year or so.
---
www.morbid-obsession.com
#97XxAxem_BlackxXPosted 7/21/2013 5:34:03 AM
Goldsickle posted...
Right back at you.

You should realize that your selfish, picky requirements for a Resident Evil game is just your thing and not everybody feels the same.

This poll is a nice example, since most people picked the frequent item drops (sad, since I picked the "specific enemies"...).

Oh yeah, caring about the horror aspect of a horror game is totally being picky. *rolleyes* You are the one being selfish because you have tons of action shooters to play but you demand RE be the way you want as well. How is that anything but selfish?

This is an RE6 forum. Take your surveys to an RE forum and you'll get some different results.

As I said, that has absolutely no bearings with the decisions they made today.
They added frequent item drops and pro wrestling moves in the recent games.
That's that. Deal with it.

What are you going to do? Scold the producers and directors for not following the series' "core elements"?
They're changing the formula and there's nothing you can do about it.

Oh but you're wrong, I can and did do something about it. I didn't buy a new copy of RE6 so Capcom didn't get my money. More than a million other people spoke up with their wallets as well and like it or not, it worked because it made Capcom rethink their strategy. Whether RE goes back to its roots or not is up to them but if they screw us over again the next game could undersell by even more. I think they've learned their lesson but time will tell.
---
www.morbid-obsession.com
#98Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2013 8:02:20 AM
XxAxem_BlackxX posted...
The same holds true for the RPG genre and I gave you the chance to prove that wrong but you couldn't give me a description of what makes an RPG game.

That's totally a fallacy.

"If you can't define an RPG, it means that "Survival Horror" exists".

Sorry but that's absolutely ridiculous and downright stupid.
You're just trying to evade from giving a universal definition for "Survival Horror", because you don't have any.

My criteria is very, very simple but you couldn't even fulfill that.

You're probably gonna say something like "you won't believe anything because your mind is made up" but the truth is I used to believe that "Survival Horror" existed.

It was until I actually used some common sense.
I didn't just wake up one morning and thought "Survival Horror" doesn't exist.
It happened after years of conversation, discussion, observation and argument.

but you said "some" people

Because saying "everybody" would be false.

I'm not one of those dumb Luddites who use Weasel Words.

I didn't say sh games absolutely cannot have things like co-op or tons of ammo drops

You said "co-op/item drops have no place in "Survival Horror"":
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605603-resident-evil-6/66686030/750703724
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605603-resident-evil-6/66307116/746466931
Now you're contradicting yourself.

(Yes, I know you said "co-op is okay for non-story modes" but we're totally talking about story mode as well)

Sure it does because if there was only one genre (like fighting) there'd be little variety in video games.

You need help with your illiteracy and short term memory problems.

Because I mentioned about "blurring of genres".
A game doesn't have to be just "RPG" or just "Fighting".
With technology today, you can have a 3D action game with 8-bit style platforming, RPG-style leveling up & FPS-style shooting.

Your proposal that a game "sticks with it's genre" is a more of a middle finger to "variety".

I'm pretty much using you for my enjoyment. I want to argue and you're giving me what I want. Of course you are too arrogant to believe such a thing could be true. If I was annoyed, I wouldn't be responding to you.

Oh, the denial.

You're responding to me because you're annoyed by what I said.

You hate it when I said that ""Survival Horror" doesn't exist".
At one point, you told me to "find a new song to sing", trying to get me to stop saying that because it pisses you off that much.

So basically, you're admitting that you're a troll?
I'm not surprised.
---
#99Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2013 8:02:26 AM
XxAxem_BlackxX posted...
I don't care what you think is fair.

It's not my standard's but Capcom's.
They're the ones who calculate and specify things that way.

While RE6's sales went below expectations, you still have RE5 to consider, since it's the best-selling game in the franchise.

Oh yeah, caring about the horror aspect of a horror game is totally being picky.

That implies that there are specific rules to follow.

But I don't see any lightning-etched stone that says "thou shalt not have frequent item drops in a horror game" anywhere.

Once again, made-up rules.

Whether RE goes back to its roots or not is up to them but if they screw us over again the next game could undersell by even more. I think they've learned their lesson but time will tell.

That's just wishful thinking.
Anyone with common sense will know that they'll keep changing.

Reminder:
Dead Space, System Shock and The Last Of Us are considered "Survival Horror" by some of it's fans.
These games have frequent item drops.

How do you respond?

Also, horror games such as Clock Tower and Alone In The Dark existed before the "Survival Horror" label was "established". It wasn't necessary to define horror games as "Survival Horror" then, so how come it's suddenly a necessity?
---
#100edward18Posted 7/21/2013 8:06:18 AM
Post 100!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKrO1U0wM28
---