[POLL] Game Progression

#11skermacPosted 6/7/2013 5:18:21 AM
I like how the best game in the franchise to me did it, RE4, very little back tracking and that was only in the village.
#12edward18Posted 6/7/2013 6:43:50 AM
and that's one of the reasons I can't stand that game
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#13Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2013 6:55:06 AM
skermac posted...
I like how the best game in the franchise to me did it, RE4, very little back tracking and that was only in the village.

There was some optional backtracking to get a free Broken Butterfly in the castle (too stingy to just buy it).
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#14icantseePosted 6/8/2013 1:00:27 AM
Sounds like Grand Theft Auto style is preferred.
---
RE5, 3DS, RE6 Mercs fan
#15Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 6/9/2013 5:45:28 AM
icantsee posted...

RE3 is the closest thing to being a zombie Grand Theft Auto, since it was set in the middle of the city.

Too bad hardware limitations split the city into multiple segments that don't make sense.
---
#16Zerol09Posted 6/9/2013 2:15:47 PM
Backtracking is rather good as it also force you to face off a few unexpected encounters here and there even though most of the enemy surprises are cheap and highly predictable however I would say if the game allowed you to backtrack from beginning levels to the later than that's just plain absurd.

For RE1 and to an extent RE0 it's perfectly understandable to allow you to backtrack due to it's level design and setting in question but for something like RE5 or 6 I don't really see that happening much however to point out the Leon/Helena campaign in the Tall Oaks University part is just too damn short, it obviously felt like the developers wanted to offer more but inconsistently rushed to focus on later portions of the campaign.
#17goku4ever03Posted 6/9/2013 5:06:44 PM
icantsee posted...

What about it is "Grand Theft Auto" style?
---
The ultimate woman is a man - House
#18icantseePosted 6/9/2013 11:36:26 PM
goku4ever03 posted...
icantsee posted...

What about it is "Grand Theft Auto" style?

I was just taking the preference of having the game as one big stage (allowing for backtracking and revisiting) to its logical extreme. I guess I could have also said Final Fantasy after you get the airship. I was generally speaking in the broadest sense. Of couse you can easily find fault with my analogy if you start to talk more specifically.

This is opposed to RE5 and 6 where you can't revisit places after you've finished even chapter subsections. (This obviously makes sense. It would be stupid to allow Leon and Helena to leave the Simmon's boss fight and fly back to Ivy University.)
---
RE5, 3DS, RE6 Mercs fan
#19Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 6/10/2013 1:03:19 AM
icantsee posted...
(This obviously makes sense. It would be stupid to allow Leon and Helena to leave the Simmon's boss fight and fly back to Ivy University.)

Simmons dropped the Family Key, which should unlock a blue colored door Leon spotted earlier in the University.

Oh wait, the university (and the whole city) is no longer there...
---
#20Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2013 8:27:05 AM
Backtracking can still work in this era, as seen in games like Batman: Arkham City.

They just need a new RE game that's set in a city, where you could freely roam around and not just limited to some "main building" like the Police Station in RE2.
---