[POLL] Saving The Game

#1GoldsicklePosted 6/4/2013 10:15:46 PM
Which Game Save Format Do You Prefer? - Results (116 votes)
Save points with limited saves (RE, RE2, RE3, RE:CV, RE0)
22.41% (26 votes)
Save points with unlimited saves (RE4, RE: Dead Aim)
54.31% (63 votes)
Auto-save at certain checkpoints (RE5, RE6)
23.28% (27 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I like the option to have multiple save states and being able to restart from a specific point, if needed.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#2BasementDudePosted 6/4/2013 10:20:31 PM
one of the first two. revelations made me start to dislikr auto save
---
number of e-huggies received today: 0
number of e-huggies wanted daily: 1,000,000 total e-huggies received: 342,517,000
#3Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 6/4/2013 10:42:30 PM(edited)
BasementDude posted...
one of the first two. revelations made me start to dislikr auto save

Vote then. Choose wisely.

EDIT: I have not played Revelations yet, so I didn't include it in the vote.
---
#4largerockPosted 6/5/2013 12:15:27 AM
I much prefer the second option.
---
Not changing this sig until Final Fantasy Versus XIII comes out.
Official Atlas of the god of war ascension board.
#5saleonkennedyPosted 6/5/2013 12:46:27 AM
Man you are on a role with these good questions. I would definitely have to say unlimited saves.
---
gamertag: Leon Kennedy I2
Don't speak evil of someone you don't know for certain, and if you do know ask yourself, why am I telling it?-Johann Kasper Lavater
#6Dark__ThronePosted 6/5/2013 1:31:33 AM
I like ink ribbons and having limited saves because it really does increase the tension and walking into the unknown and knowing that it could have a severe consequence is pretty scary in my opinion.

There's just no intense feeling when you know that dying is just going send you back to the last 10 seconds so you can try again.

So I think that for most genres having checkpoints and unlimited saves is a great thing. But for survival horror I think having a severe consequence for dying is generally a good thing for the game.
#7Superman19Posted 6/5/2013 7:00:26 AM
none i would rather see a mixture of 2 and 3 kinda like how this game does it and to a point how re4 did it. Auto saving at checkpoints and save slots at chapter ends (with 10 slots max) so during story intermissions/breaks you can save to one if you thought you did alright in that part of the game.

so if your reached a checkpoint and are unable to beat that certain area you can reload a previous save slot at the start of that chapter and give it your best shot. very helpful especially with games like this that is a marathon game where you can't select an area from a chapter select feature.
#8ZGMF_600_GuaizPosted 6/5/2013 7:07:14 AM
I do want to point out that RE6's auto-saves are a bit tricky, as they do not take place at every checkpoint, something which caused some people to make threads about the matter since they had lost some of the progress they made because they thought the game did saved at every checkpoint.

As for which, I guess I'll go with the second option, though the first one adds to the challenge of the games by actually making the ink ribbons an inventory item, which means that there do could be times where you'll have to choose between picking up an ink ribbon or another potentially more useful item.

By the way, you forgot RE:O saves, which are of the "erase after loading type", meaning that after loading you'll have to save again before turning off the game or you'll lose all your progress. Again, a bit more complicated, but do adds to the challenge and is more acceptable in RE:O scenario model (basically several small campaigns).
#9Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 6/5/2013 7:08:07 AM
Superman19 posted...
Auto saving at checkpoints and save slots at chapter ends (with 10 slots max) so during story intermissions/breaks you can save to one if you thought you did alright in that part of the game.

Bioshock Infinite kinda did that.

I have always wanted to add different kinds of formats from other games but I always go "nah" and only include choices with examples from existing Resident Evil games.
---
#10Superman19Posted 6/5/2013 7:21:50 AM
Goldsickle posted...
Superman19 posted...
Auto saving at checkpoints and save slots at chapter ends (with 10 slots max) so during story intermissions/breaks you can save to one if you thought you did alright in that part of the game.

Bioshock Infinite kinda did that.

I have always wanted to add different kinds of formats from other games but I always go "nah" and only include choices with examples from existing Resident Evil games.

but this game does it as well and to a point re4 too. Certain doors in re4 (ones that load new areas) work like checkpoints so if you fail you need to start back at that door. Instead of doors i would like to see it done like here and like in re6 with checkpoints that auto save at sparse intervals BUT ALSO save slots for chapter ends to save onto just in case you want to come back/enjoy that area of the game/or just wanna replay it to see if you can do better if possible/or if you missed a weapon....it goes on and on lol sorry :P

so pretty much a combo of the two lol confusing i know but it helps if you have a busy life or need a break every so often.