[POLL] Character Movement Controls

#1GoldsicklePosted 6/6/2013 4:58:08 AM
Preferred Movement Controls For The Characters? - Results (76 votes)
Tank controls (RE1, RE2, RE3, RE4, RE:CV)
11.84% (9 votes)
3rd person shooter-style strafing (RE5, RE: Mercenaries 3D, RE: Revelations)
25% (19 votes)
360° analog movement (RE: Outbreak, RE: Outbreak #2, RE6)
63.16% (48 votes)
This poll is now closed.
A less offending version of the Tank controls poll:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605603-resident-evil-6/66028616

The nice thing about the 360 analog movement is how you can quickly face your character to a certain direction, so you can pick up items, open doors or just run in an opposing direction quickly, with reduced lags.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#2siberian142Posted 6/6/2013 12:58:29 PM
I prefer tank controls (RE5), but that may be because I started with them.

RE6's is my second favorite, the control scheme feels so free. Needs some work, though. For example, sliding can be difficult to control when using it to set up coup de graces. Environmental melees can get out too, at least in mercenaries.
#3icantseePosted 6/6/2013 2:35:13 PM
siberian142 posted...
RE6's is my second favorite, the control scheme feels so free. Needs some work, though.

Yeah. When you change direction, you just don't immediately turn and move in that direction. The game makes you run around an invisible pillar first. Also if you make a slight movement with the joystick, the character may move an extra step after you let go of the stick. I guess all this is to make movement more realistic. It was sort of annoying at first, but I'm used to it now.
---
RE5, 3DS, RE6 Mercs fan
#4siberian142Posted 6/6/2013 3:27:51 PM
icantsee posted...
siberian142 posted...
RE6's is my second favorite, the control scheme feels so free. Needs some work, though.

Yeah. When you change direction, you just don't immediately turn and move in that direction. The game makes you run around an invisible pillar first. Also if you make a slight movement with the joystick, the character may move an extra step after you let go of the stick. I guess all this is to make movement more realistic. It was sort of annoying at first, but I'm used to it now.

That's one of pet peeves I have with it actually, they made the quick turn quite a bit less effective than it was in 5 and turning around can be a pain now. The introduction of sprinting, quickshots, and a free reign camera was a decent trade, though. Movement definitely feels more free.
#5Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 6/6/2013 5:57:44 PM
It feels like they just reuse the same codes from Outbreak for RE6.

The characters from Outbreak also feel like they "run around a pillar" sometimes.
---
#6Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2013 11:01:30 PM
I remember one time, I was playing some Kinect game where the player character imitated my movements almost exactly.

After a few rounds of that game, I find that I'm much more agile and nimble than any of the supposedly 'trained' people of the classic RE.
---
#7Pato468Posted 6/9/2013 10:14:36 PM
If you want to quickly aim at what's behind you, just move the camera till you're looking at the front of your character and press L1 to aim, or R1 to do a back elbow / mule kick, both turn you around instantly.
#8Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 6/9/2013 10:24:34 PM
Pato468 posted...
If you want to quickly aim at what's behind you, just move the camera till you're looking at the front of your character and press L1 to aim, or R1 to do a back elbow / mule kick, both turn you around instantly.

There's also a configuration so that you will aim towards where your character is currently facing.

I prefer the setting where you aim towards where the camera is panning instead.
---
#9icantseePosted 6/10/2013 12:04:52 AM
Goldsickle posted...
There's also a configuration so that you will aim towards where your character is currently facing.

I can't imagine anyone using that configuration. Maybe it's for those who felt No Hope was too easy and needed an extra challenge.
---
RE5, 3DS, RE6 Mercs fan
#10Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 6/10/2013 12:38:14 AM
icantsee posted...
I can't imagine anyone using that configuration. Maybe it's for those who felt No Hope was too easy and needed an extra challenge.

The same configuration was also in MGS4.
---