Who should Chris date?

#21rubyeyedlobaPosted 6/23/2013 9:32:20 PM
ZavalsBiz posted...
rubyeyedloba posted...
ZavalsBiz posted...

Yeah I know that Capcom intended the audience to get ChrisxJill feels from the get-go. But people have their own preferences. I can certainly see the Valenfield thing but I still prefer Nivanfield because its still very alluded. Piers and Chris' strong friendship and dynamic relationship in RE6 almost reached to amount if care Chris had for Jill, but this was primarily due to the fact that he feels like his troops are his family. Overall on saying that I'm sure Capcom knew what they were getting into when they gave Chris a male partner, and the bonus costumes for Chris really give fans that tug they looked for. Seriously Capcom? Sexeh Sailor? Bondage-ish Gear?

Chris and Leon have a large gay fanbase that Capcom is well aware of. And the sexy sailor thing was not just for men, it was for women too. I know plenty of girls who keep swooning over Chris in that sailor outfit. And yes, of course, you can have your preference in shipping. That's the entire point. In canon, however, Chris and Piers are partners and only that. It is never alluded that they have romantic feelings for each other, only that Chris treats his troop like family and that Piers has a huge respect for his Captain who was also the man who brought down Umbrella and Wesker. It's obvious to anyone who plays it that Piers wanted to be like Chris. And I mean, it really IS obvious. Anyone who doesn't ship those two together can see it.

Chris is the troubled Captain, Piers is the loyal soldier with hero worship. These tropes have been used in action movies since forever. Watch any war movie and you'll see the relationship Chris and Piers have is the same as any Captain and his soldier would have. They don't have those little hints Chris/Jill, Jake/Sherry, Leon/Ada and Billy/Rebecca have. Chris treated Piers the same way he treated Finn: with care and affection. Chris treated Piers the same way he treated the rest of his troop. And you can see the way that changes when he's with Jill. He is never rude with her. Never. His voice softens when he's around her, actually. If you played Revelations, you'll see what I mean. His tone is harsh when he talks with Parker or Jessica, but when he's with Jill, his voice softens. That's no coincidence.

But it's like you said, people have their preferences and it's absolutely fine to ship Chris with whomever you choose to. Ship Chris with a rock, and you're probably good to go. I mean, Chris did have a bit of history with that boulder...

Yeah it all about preference. Even if Valenfield is just implied its not official. For example if in RE7, assuming there is one, they make Valenfield official, people will still support Nivanfield. Just use Uncharted as an example, even thought Drake is officially with Elena, people will still ship him with Chloe or Sully. I would probably still support Nivanfield if Valenfield becomes canon, but less often, heck I'll probably move onto to another pair like FinnxPiers. I always liked the idea of Finn with someone. I blame fanfics.

Yes, exactly. I was just defending Valenfield, but like I said, it doesn't matter,

FinnxPiers is actually a pairing I like. I don't know, I can't help but wonder if Piers felt bad for treating Finn the way he did. He was so bad to the poor guy.
#22ManuMIASPosted 6/23/2013 9:42:57 PM
DestinyKnot posted...
I honestly didn't know Chris was that kinky. O_O;

___
#23telkomselPosted 6/23/2013 10:05:21 PM
rubyeyedloba posted...
Now see, the only reason I disagree with this is because we have gotten scenes where Chris is sweet with Jill and no one else countless times.

RE5--the first thing we get is Chris remembering Jill. The moment he hears 'partner', he thinks of Jill. Then the way he freaks out about her, even Excella mentions it. 'Jill Jill Jill Jill is that all you can say?'. Then he sees her for the first time, his expression changes, his voice softens (he's in the presence of Wesker, please note this) and he tries to talk to her. Then when he holds her in his arms and refuses to let her stay behind, even going as far as not caring if the world went to hell at Wesker's hand. Jill had to grab him and put some sense into his head. Again, she had to reassure him she was alright so he could leave her alone and go deafet Wesker. Jill then turns to Sheva and says 'Take care of him'. How is that cold?

Revelations they are all a little weird due to the graphics, but a very important scene: Jessica and Chris are in a helicopter, Chris ignores everything Jessica is saying and looks up and says 'We will find you, Jill. I promise.' Again, how is that cold? If you played Revelations you should know Chris and Jill's relationship was used as bait. Can't say much without spoiling.

Then there are all the endings in the original RE, with Jill holding his hand, Chris smiling at her. Then at the REmake, with Jill falling asleep on him.

After the Remake, Capcom wanted to make Chris the big soldier who has been through a lot. He's seen horrible things. He has become cold and the important thing to notice here is that he only soften around two people: Jill and Claire. Of course he softens around Claire because she's his sister, and he softens around Jill because she's been with him since forever. Like, seriously. He was 25 and she was 23 when all of this happened. They're both nearing 40.

I forgot to mention, there was also a special edition of the original RE that came with a book. The book told the story of the STARS before the events of the first came. It's a canon story and in that, Chris meets Jill and wants more than anything to ask her out. He even asks her out, if I'm not mistaken.

Point is: Chris and Jill are more than partners and everyone can see that. Jun Takeuchi, producer of RE5, said they were much more than that but wouldn'y say it out loud. The person who said they were only 'partners' was Kobayashi, one of the producers from RE6 and well, we all know how well fans took that. They called bull right away and in an interview, fans could send their questions via the internet, and I remember the guy said 'We get this one A LOT---when will Chris and Jill get together?' to which the answer was, 'haha, RE 11'. He was joking but the point still stands: fans want them together.

OK, but even among friends we do that stuff, taking care of each other, soften our attitude, etc.
But there is no prove that they're relationship is deeper as "best friends" during "missions".
Because none of them even go the length to go outside the "best friend" zone, into the "lovers" zone.
There's no proof that they're in any deeper relation than "best friends" during missions (read = "lovers").
I agree that they're very close and they're taking care for each other.
But they're "taking care of each other" type is for the "best friend" type, not a "lovers" type.
It's not about they don't say it out loud, but they don't even want to go outside the "best friend" zone, because as far as I can see, they're just taking care for each other as the very best of friends.
---
Today I saw a Slave more powerful than the Emperor of Rome
The Gladiator
#24rubyeyedlobaPosted 6/23/2013 10:17:19 PM
telkomsel posted...

OK, but even among friends we do that stuff, taking care of each other, soften our attitude, etc.
But there is no prove that they're relationship is deeper as "best friends" during "missions".
Because none of them even go the length to go outside the "best friend" zone, into the "lovers" zone.
There's no proof that they're in any deeper relation than "best friends" during missions (read = "lovers").
I agree that they're very close and they're taking care for each other.
But they're "taking care of each other" type is for the "best friend" type, not a "lovers" type.
It's not about they don't say it out loud, but they don't even want to go outside the "best friend" zone, because as far as I can see, they're just taking care for each other as the very best of friends.

But they are video game characters. They don't have lives of their own in which they can make those choices. They won't wake up one day and decide to show the world they are more than parteners. We only see what's there. The rest is based on hints and statements from official sources.

We don't have any proof Leon does love Ada. As far as we can tell, he's been taking care of her the way he's taken care of Claire and Helena and even Angela. He kissed Ada, but he 'kissed' Angela too.

The same way with Jake and Sherry. They took care of each other like any close friends would, yet the producers have claimed they are a love story. The same way RE5 producer claimed Chris and Jill are more than just partners.

We will never get anything more than those hints because Resident Evil is not a romance game. Capcom has said that as a rule, they don't put romance in their games. We really only get these hints. It's that kind of thing where you just know. You know there's more to their friendship the same you know Jake and Sherry fell for each other and the same way you know Ada loves Leon but will never say it out loud.
#25rubyeyedlobaPosted 6/23/2013 10:23:55 PM
Please watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxFFxuGox8o

Quality is bad, I'm sorry. Skip to 00:24 and watch until 01:31.

that's the strongest hint of Jill and Chris being more than just partners, and all of that being backed up by an in game character (Parker.)

Not even Leon and Ada had someone comment on their relaitonship like that, implying that they are together.

Oh no, my mistake. They had Helena. Who kind of said the same thing Parker said about Jill and Chris.

'She's more than just a friend, isn't she?'

'Maybe he's already taken, Jessica'.
#26telkomselPosted 6/23/2013 11:02:39 PM
rubyeyedloba posted...
We will never get anything more than those hints because Resident Evil is not a romance game. Capcom has said that as a rule, they don't put romance in their games. We really only get these hints.

That's my point, we won't get anything deeper in term of hints that they're in love because the game it self doesn't provide any deeper hints whether they're in love or not.

In other word, we just interpret the hints based on what we want to interpret.

I've also been in many discussion boards about Chris and Jill's relationship (I even lost count and don't remember which one).
Many people do have the same opinion as you do, for Chris being in love with Jill.
But many people also have a sound opinion that they're "just best friends" in a mission, and none of them are even have the courage to leave the "best friend zone" into the "lovers zone", etc., etc.

Since the hints never gets deeper than what we saw, thus actually there is no proof on both opinion, and even any proof about the otherwise.

Therefore, there is no right or wrong situation here, all of us interpret what we saw based on what we want to interpret, but there is nothing to proof here, because what we have is just "hints" not proof.
---
Today I saw a Slave more powerful than the Emperor of Rome
The Gladiator
#27rubyeyedlobaPosted 6/23/2013 11:33:31 PM
telkomsel posted...
rubyeyedloba posted...
We will never get anything more than those hints because Resident Evil is not a romance game. Capcom has said that as a rule, they don't put romance in their games. We really only get these hints.

That's my point, we won't get anything deeper in term of hints that they're in love because the game it self doesn't provide any deeper hints whether they're in love or not.

In other word, we just interpret the hints based on what we want to interpret.

I've also been in many discussion boards about Chris and Jill's relationship (I even lost count and don't remember which one).
Many people do have the same opinion as you do, for Chris being in love with Jill.
But many people also have a sound opinion that they're "just best friends" in a mission, and none of them are even have the courage to leave the "best friend zone" into the "lovers zone", etc., etc.

Since the hints never gets deeper than what we saw, thus actually there is no proof on both opinion, and even any proof about the otherwise.

Therefore, there is no right or wrong situation here, all of us interpret what we saw based on what we want to interpret, but there is nothing to proof here, because what we have is just "hints" not proof.

Ah, yes, I see what you mean now. You are right. It's like I was talking to the other user here, we can have our preferences and interpret anything the way we want. It doesn't matter since RE is not about romance. Chris and Jill do have a huge fanbase though, even as 'just partners'. They've become iconic. It's kind of the same thing with Leon and Claire. These two as partners are much more iconic and praised than Leon and Ada, yet the romantic fanbase for Leon and Ada is greater.

Ah well. Hopefully none of these pairings will become like the Cloud/Tifa/Aeris debate from FFVII. That one haunts me to this day. And even today, if you say something wrong to any of these shippers, they will go berserk on you.
#28sbn4Posted 6/24/2013 12:16:32 AM
Not even Leon and Ada had someone comment on their relaitonship like that, implying that they are together.

Actually, in Damnation Leon and Ada mentioned a time where they spent some alone time together.

Either way, I agree with most of your sentiments ruby. I think Chris/Jill is more likely while Chris/Piers is non-existent. I never felt a single shred of anything "gay" between them. Same with Wesker. I felt these are all dumb jokes that were never funny to begin with. There are no hints of anything romantic. I don't understand the obsession with Chris/Piers anyway.

I'm not sure if this means anything, but Morrigan in a MVC3 trailer is attracted to Chris. She is visibly seen trying to "grab" him.
---
"No man should fight any war but his own."
#29jsquad4136Posted 6/24/2013 12:40:50 AM
Broken poll. BasementDude should be on here. Then the votes would be basementdude 100%.

Basementdude has been turning straight men gay for years. If Chris wasnt already gay then he most certainly would be after a night with him.
---
"I haven't been a child since I was 9 years old."
#30ZavalsBizPosted 6/24/2013 2:30:41 AM
rubyeyedloba posted...
ZavalsBiz posted...
rubyeyedloba posted...

Chris and Leon have a large gay fanbase that Capcom is well aware of. And the sexy sailor thing was not just for men, it was for women too. I know plenty of girls who keep swooning over Chris in that sailor outfit. And yes, of course, you can have your preference in shipping. That's the entire point. In canon, however, Chris and Piers are partners and only that. It is never alluded that they have romantic feelings for each other, only that Chris treats his troop like family and that Piers has a huge respect for his Captain who was also the man who brought down Umbrella and Wesker. It's obvious to anyone who plays it that Piers wanted to be like Chris. And I mean, it really IS obvious. Anyone who doesn't ship those two together can see it.

Chris is the troubled Captain, Piers is the loyal soldier with hero worship. These tropes have been used in action movies since forever. Watch any war movie and you'll see the relationship Chris and Piers have is the same as any Captain and his soldier would have. They don't have those little hints Chris/Jill, Jake/Sherry, Leon/Ada and Billy/Rebecca have. Chris treated Piers the same way he treated Finn: with care and affection. Chris treated Piers the same way he treated the rest of his troop. And you can see the way that changes when he's with Jill. He is never rude with her. Never. His voice softens when he's around her, actually. If you played Revelations, you'll see what I mean. His tone is harsh when he talks with Parker or Jessica, but when he's with Jill, his voice softens. That's no coincidence.

But it's like you said, people have their preferences and it's absolutely fine to ship Chris with whomever you choose to. Ship Chris with a rock, and you're probably good to go. I mean, Chris did have a bit of history with that boulder...

Yeah it all about preference. Even if Valenfield is just implied its not official. For example if in RE7, assuming there is one, they make Valenfield official, people will still support Nivanfield. Just use Uncharted as an example, even thought Drake is officially with Elena, people will still ship him with Chloe or Sully. I would probably still support Nivanfield if Valenfield becomes canon, but less often, heck I'll probably move onto to another pair like FinnxPiers. I always liked the idea of Finn with someone. I blame fanfics.

Yes, exactly. I was just defending Valenfield, but like I said, it doesn't matter,

FinnxPiers is actually a pairing I like. I don't know, I can't help but wonder if Piers felt bad for treating Finn the way he did. He was so bad to the poor guy.

I dunno whats with Capcom and killing Chris' partners. And yeah I honestly fell for Finn immediately when he was introduced. He so awkward and adorable, I just love him so much and Chris' campaign really emotionized me. I mean seriously Capcom? First you go a kill off The adorable Finn and then you go and take Piers. What gives? I think they like making Chris suffer.

Also I'd like to point out that I personally think that Chris has sexual preference. Just saying
---
Nate gave me a warm hug, "Your love is the only treasure I need," as he held me, I finally admitted it to him, "I love you, Nate."