My Take on Survivors and some Questions

#1DanielSpace79Posted 7/5/2013 7:15:41 PM(edited)
As always- I am several months late to the fad that everyone is already over haha. So I'm sure in a few months, I'll start playing vs mode in TLoU since that's what everyone is playing now. This will probably be long so if you are well versed in the mode, please go to the end to give me the answer to a question XD.

At the plea of my poor exhausted bf who has seen nothing but Mercs but for the last 6 months in RE, I had enough of a balance for 1 new mode from my psn wallet and chose Survivors- and it got me, VERY hooked. It's definitely a bit of an unfair game- but here are my thoughts on it- that are probably long since discussed and overanalyzed and beaten to death:

1- This will sound so completely sexist, but I found myself a little surprised at the number of female players in this game. And a little humbled by the number of them that kicked my butt into kingdom come. I'm a little old-fashioned I guess and when I was growing up gamer girls was extremely rare.

2- Mercs skills come very much in handy- when your enemies become zombies- setting up CdGs and counters are pretty helpful, especially for free ammo if the dead players aren't coordinated.

3- Sadly, the game really is 'Who can QS first, then unload the whole clip, slide, and taunt" And then when it's down to 2 on 1 or 3 on 1, it becomes utterly exhausting to play as a zombie as the character just runs around like a maniac for 3 minutes. With Javo- especially short blades, I've seen some amazing turnarounds.

4- 3 friends who are hosting and are of medium skill have a definite advantage over 3 random players who are highly skilled- there is a TON to be said for chemistry and relationship rapport.

5- While I was always told this game had a strong following in the asian countries- it seems to be widely adored by latin-american communities.

6-Though the game isn't honorable on it's own, it's very nice to come across players who kind of have a similar mentality to me. If I enter a room and its all or mostly randoms, there should be some switching of the teams to even out the forces. It's simply not fun to have 3 newer players up against 3 seasoned ones.

7- The only time I believe you should pick up a special weapon is if your party has been killed and you are the last one standing. Otherwise- I strongly believe the game is a lot more fun without the,. Ive also joined quite a few rooms in which the hosts are weapon addicts- I find this makes them pretty weak players- they don't know how to handle themselves once the magnum or they've fired all their grenade rounds.

8. Just like in Mercs, I experiment with a few characters, but my go to character is Chris- and while the AR is nice- people constantly make the dangerous mistake of forgetting the grenade. After I am quickshot and falling on the floor, I will have a split second to toss the grenade. And while you can empty your clip and get me into dying status, you will go right into dying status too- the difference is that unless someone else has taken me out, Ive now recovered enough to finish you off from the floor. The amount of times I've turned a game around with that is beyond counting.

9. Played with 2 french hosts today one of them saw one character jumping back and forth over a railing. Not just to escape- but literally doing it for a minute when they were the only one left- the french host told him off in the room that he doens't play with cheaters and booted him. I wanted to applaud. I totally agree. Use it strategically- but if you overuse it, it's just no fun.

<Second Post Coming>
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/DanielPSpace79
PSN: TheWorstType RE6 Mercs
#2DanielSpace79(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2013 7:16:57 PM(edited)
10. People are kinda jerks in this mode- I've been saddened to discover a vast amount of nastiness and though I shouldnt be surprised, racism. Was in a room yesterday with 3 friends from Indiana who are all talking about 'the god damned (asian racial expletive)" and how they were 'idiot butthole players". A ton of disdain and mockery with people on headsets about their random partners- I've learned from this and generally warmly welcome randoms and send notes, win or lose, to all the players after a few rounds. One guy set up an amazing trap when it was 3 on 1 and we were closing in and he took us all out. My partners were so mad- but I was really impressed. Sadly, kindness just tends to be mocked in 'friend rooms'- as when you send a note, they just read it out loud for everyone to discuss. I politely suggested to a trio of seasoned players who were weapon addicts, against me, a medium level players and 2 players that were obviously still learning (one didn't have skills, the other had only a few wins with their go to character) that perhaps we could try one or two matches without weapons to make it more fun- and it became the subject of derision and mockery. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed leading the other 2 to victory AFTER they got both a rocket launcher and a magnum. And while standing over the last player who was the loudest mocker, teabgagged him a few times, taunted, then stuck him with the knife while he desperately tried to scoot away.

11. Man people are sore losers. I know people use winning game stats as a measure of how skilled someone is- I understood the 3 hosts spanish enough to say that 'this would be an easy round cuz we were all noobs' (I only had 10-12 victories at this point and each had 80-95). I did one of my favorite traps to an unsuspecting player who is aiming with a rifle- throw a grenade, they hear the sound and panic, then you quick shot to lock them, and the explosion puts them into dying. I did this on the host who of course made a beeline for the arcade to grab the rocket launcher. So within 14 seconds of the match, he was already dead. Then he tried to stalk me the whole match and I killed him 3 or 4 times (I can counter jumping zombies in my sleep). I never taunted or said 'thanks' after killing him and his team ended up coming back (one character got the other weapons and took me and the other guy out) and when we went back to the lobby screen he said 'worsetype you are noob *** hole player i know exactly how you play and you are gone. Bye!" and then blocked me. NO IDEA what that meant lol.

So my questions:

1- When playing with 2 randoms that became a team, we got a player from the opposing team who was unbeatable, just amazing skills and even after killing off 2, he'd pull remarkable comebacks with JakeEx of all people- but after 3 rounds of him dominating us, one of my partners sent me a note in somewhat broken english 'this character is hacking/cheating- kick him- auto.' he didn't have the training skill on- and my partner just wrote back 'cheat- no good i can tell'- can anyone shed some light on that?

2. I'm pretty good at somersaulting and evading, but just ONCE I was able to roll immediately upon hitting the ground and avoided the follow up attack and was able to qs and empty my clip on the Piers player, much to his annoyance. I've seen countless good players escape death doing this- how exactly do you do it? Where are their invincibility frames between being quick-shot and barrage of bullets before dying?

3. I started with QS Damage, but Chris really doesn't need it, moved onto Target Master, then swapped to Shooting Wild. But curious to see very high level players with variety of skills- any curious combos? I'm wondering if Last Stand, Medic, and First Response might be a good combo.

TL/DR. Totally addicted to survivors.
---
#3DanielSpace79(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2013 7:30:48 PM
Few more things:

1- Can't tell you the number of time I've run out of bullets at just the WRONG time. Twice I got into a qs war with a mangum user and I'd empty the clip, while he fired the magnum- then I'd be stuck with an empty clip while his friend helped him and I got knocked off.

2- Totally accidentally- hosted a session with 2 friends who are both very good players, without planning on it one round we were Ada, AdaEx and Calra. We had killed off the 2 good players from the opposing team and was just leaving the noob player alone and the 3 of us were kinda just hanging out by the arcade and basically started taunting. Best moment I've ever seen of having Ada, AdaEx and Carla standing together as if at a cocktail party saying 'Aww that was no fun'- 'I'll see you dead', 'Over so soon?" Untintentional hilarty.

3- Be careful when you taunt- got to see an amazing moment where an obnoxious Piers user was standing over me before delivering what we thought was the final blow, but I guess I wasn't weakened enough and I survived while he taunted and had the best poetic justice of shooting his cocky butt into death. Then I taunted him and went for the fire grenade kill. Poetic Justice.
---
#4GiveMeSomeVodkaPosted 7/5/2013 8:55:36 PM
survivors is definitely one of the most fun modes on resident evil 6. i appreciate all the details you put into your posts, and i'm glad you enjoy it.

you are most definitely right about one thing: the mode is extremely fun when you and the opposing players fight without the use of power/special weapons. i recommend you and the teammates you play with learn all the different spawn points of the power weapons so that you can pick them up and confiscate them from the enemy team. that way, during the game that your team possess all of the power weapons, no one feels cheated out of a victory if your team does not use them.

QS + hosed down happens alllll the time. people really need to get over it. manyyyy times i've taken down players who play this way with characters such as costume ada and costume sherry, so there's nothing to be upset about. if a player keeps getting QS'd and hosed down, they may need to change tactics and stop getting close to the enemy.

i've actually tried being a fair player. but you know what, who cares anymore? games where it was obvious that i had a magnum or rocket launcher and chose not to use it are really common for me, yet whenever the opposing players pick up one of the power weapons, they still use it against me, even though they clearly saw that i didn't use mine against them. i've become very conflicted with playing fairly and teaching those kind of players a lesson, that now, i really don't give a f*** and just use power weapons as they come to me. for three months i've stopped using power weapons, and while i can kill a player extremely easily without them, i use it because i just don't care about what other people think of me anymore. however, of course, i won't use them unless i see the opposing players use them first. that way, my argument will be, "but you used them first." lots of players are hypocrites, and it's hilarious.

i've become so versatile at this game mode that i can play with any character i choose. of course i prefer some over others, but every character is a good character and a great choice. it's hilarious when i choose costume piers and just kill everyone with his handgun, because they expect me to use the sniper rifle. it's a real treat.

i highly recommend you play 6 player death matches and have all players equipped with the last stand skill. it's a blast. every half minute, someone is revived from the dead, and it's just so much more fun since the fighting doesn't stop. even OHKO characters, such as piers and agent, are subject to a fast and easy death, so really, it doesn't matter who you choose.
#5Roll_kix_azzPosted 7/5/2013 10:15:41 PM(edited)
Yay glad to see someone else who loves this mode. :D

Also I'd recommend free for all as well. Because Teams just completely blows when you're with randoms. Also QS > unload clip is not an instakill, if you are hit with a QS, move to the side and mash the heal button. You'll get away while they waste precious ammo. :3

The only problem I have with this mode is Piers lol. He's just so broken there's nothing you can really do except hope you see him first lol.

I personally like using Schoolgirl Sherry and RPD Helena, but I like Sherry more because no one can ever know where I am (unless I decide to use a power weapon. Someone called me the Ninja Schoolgirl once since they never saw me until they were dead lol.)
---
Remember: Roll is FTW, ppl who h8 her are FTL. This is a golden rule
Official Ino of the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 board
#6sbn4Posted 7/5/2013 10:32:17 PM(edited)
1- When playing with 2 randoms that became a team, we got a player from the opposing team who was unbeatable, just amazing skills and even after killing off 2, he'd pull remarkable comebacks with JakeEx of all people- but after 3 rounds of him dominating us, one of my partners sent me a note in somewhat broken english 'this character is hacking/cheating- kick him- auto.' he didn't have the training skill on- and my partner just wrote back 'cheat- no good i can tell'- can anyone shed some light on that?

I just think he was getting annoyed with his own lack of skill. Unless they have training skill, I don't know of any other way to really cheat in survivors. Ex Jake requires a lot more thinking to use properly than most other characters. It was either that or lag. Even I've felt there were times when people were cheating, but when I thought back on it, it was probably just lag.

2. I'm pretty good at somersaulting and evading, but just ONCE I was able to roll immediately upon hitting the ground and avoided the follow up attack and was able to qs and empty my clip on the Piers player, much to his annoyance. I've seen countless good players escape death doing this- how exactly do you do it? Where are their invincibility frames between being quick-shot and barrage of bullets before dying?

Other than vaulting up and down ledges or hopping over railing, there are no other iframes that I know about. You are still completely vulnerable everywhere else. I think you got up just in time to avoid the following attack. That is all.

3. I started with QS Damage, but Chris really doesn't need it, moved onto Target Master, then swapped to Shooting Wild. But curious to see very high level players with variety of skills- any curious combos? I'm wondering if Last Stand, Medic, and First Response might be a good combo.

High level play? Not trying to be a jerk, but this game isn't made for high level or competitive play. Piers is beyond broken, and pretty much any automatic wielding character should be using either shooting wild or target master. This is simply because you go through the least amount of bullets. Its a great ammo conserver. I've found shotgun characters do very well with shooting wild. If you try for any kind of experimentation, you'll get wasted. The only other thing is you can put pharmacist on Piers since his rifle does ridiculous damage even without power boosting perks.

I honestly think Survivors sucks. I notice most of the people who love TDM have a dedicated team who love to go around stomping on randoms. And when they lose a single fight, they get really defensive and obnoxious. They also believe having 99 wins makes them amazing or something. People are also douchebags in this mode as well. A team with three Piers is the single dumbest thing I've seen since MvC3 Phoenix. I personally think free for all is where it's at. You aren't relying on anyone else and the matches are a lot more intense. The game is already stagnant because its been "figured out.".

Another useful thing you should keep in mind is weapon canceling with certain weapons. Guns like Leon's shotgun, and Pier's sniper can make them far more efficient and broken respectively. Its also worth noting that canceling reload animations when you see you magazine full can be useful when you are in a pinch. I have one survivors game posted on my YT channel and I'll post it. Hopefully you can find something useful in it. If you have any other questions, just ask.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEU7YP48tU8
---
"No man should fight any war but his own."
#7goku4ever03Posted 7/6/2013 4:21:38 AM
Survivors is awful. It's a typical example of forced multiplayer in a game.
---
The ultimate woman is a man - House
#8KryptoPyro13Posted 7/6/2013 11:19:55 AM
I dislike competitive games like this (many people at once). I prefer one-on-one, so I like Onslaught better. I passed on Versus in RE5 and I'll pass on Survivors in this. >_>

Random question: The RE5 board is dead, but do you play RE5 still? I would like someone to help me with Desperate Escape on Professional and to get the Agitator Majinis (and hopefully S rank on that one). The person I usually play with and I are no longer good enough at it. :(
---
"I expected disappointment. In that regard, I was not disappointed."
Official Husband of Gregor of the FE:A boards.
#9sbn4Posted 7/6/2013 11:26:06 AM
^ If you play on Xbox I'd play with you. I love Onslaught (best mode IMO), and I love Desperate Escape. Especially if I can be Jill. :D
---
"No man should fight any war but his own."
#10KryptoPyro13Posted 7/6/2013 11:39:00 AM
sbn4 posted...
^ If you play on Xbox I'd play with you. I love Onslaught (best mode IMO), and I love Desperate Escape. Especially if I can be Jill. :D

Unfortunately I only have it for PS3. :(

But if you haz Onslaught on PS3, I'll play that with you. :3
---
"I expected disappointment. In that regard, I was not disappointed."
Official Husband of Gregor of the FE:A boards.