[POLL] Co-op In Resident Evil

#1GoldsicklePosted 7/10/2013 3:03:01 AM
Should The Resident Evil Franchise Continue It's Course With Inclusion Of Co-Op? - Results (123 votes)
Yes, for both story campaign and extra modes
50.41% (62 votes)
Yes but only for extra modes, separated from the story campaign (e.g. Mercenaries)
40.65% (50 votes)
No, there shouldn't be co-op of any kind in subsequent RE games
8.94% (11 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I was thinking of adding something like "co-op should only be allowed in spin-offs" but felt that such choice is stupid, since Resident Evil could be anything the developers desire, spin-off or "numbered".

Back in 1996, never in my wildest dreams would I imagine RE in 2009 would have online co-op.
But as I pointed out many times, it was one of their original plans to have the game become an FPS with co-op:

PlayStation Universe
Originally conceived as a First Person Shooter, the game’s concept endured several transitions throughout its lengthy development cycle, with early designs toying with the idea of a two-player cooperative mode via link cable. Said Mikami: “I thought about it for the first Resident Evil, but we gave up – technically it wasn’t good enough.” After flirting with these ideas for a while, the young Capcom producer eventually plumped for the single player horror romp we know and love today.

http://www.psu.com/a006698/The-History-of-Resident-Evil--The-Beginning?page=1
---
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)
#2jpv2000Posted 7/10/2013 7:29:24 AM
Only in the extra modes for me. It doesn't really bother me in campaign, but I always just use the AI anyway.
---
More and more, I find myself wondering if it's all worth fighting for...for a future without fear...yeah, it's worth it. (Chris Redfield)
#3largerockPosted 7/10/2013 10:58:08 AM
Extra modes exclusive.
---
Not changing this sig until Final Fantasy Versus XIII comes out.
Official Atlas of the god of war ascension board.
#4gamestop27Posted 7/11/2013 12:20:01 AM
I like co-op, I like it in the campaign and I hate mercenaries, so I voted for the first option.
---
A shotgun up your buttcrack. No, I won't fire it, I'm just stuffing it up there.~ Microsoft
#5notrandomPosted 7/11/2013 9:42:20 AM
I would have to say co-op for story and extras modes should be in RE.
From a story stand point it never made any sense to split up and risk possible death unless absolutely needed.
Besides, playing with a buddy is always fun. Though if you have no one to play with and have to put up with badly programmed AI then I can see how it is a bother.
---
Say no to EA and Ubisoft's online passes. Say no to Capcom and Activision's scummy DLC ways. Say no to NISA's terrible and unfaithful localizations.
#6Sol4688Posted 7/11/2013 2:05:57 PM
I'd favor a Dead Space 3-esque "drop in, drop out, and doesn't really affect the story"- type co-op, if I HAD to have it. But no, keep it single player for campaigns.
---
PSN: CrimeRoyal
#7Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2013 2:46:52 PM
Sol4688 posted...
I'd favor a Dead Space 3-esque "drop in, drop out, and doesn't really affect the story"- type co-op, if I HAD to have it. But no, keep it single player for campaigns.

That sort of drop-in/drop-out format isn't new.

It's been around since when arcade games are popular, like Double Dragon, Final Fight and even light gun games like Virtua Cop or House Of The Dead.

The problem is how games are more movie-like these days, so such dropping in and out may start to look awkward, unless there's some sort of plausible explanation.
---
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)
#8Skizza306Posted 7/11/2013 6:48:06 PM
The biggest problem is that they sacrifice the single-player experience with a bunch of lame co-op gimmicks (oooh throw both switches at the same time, oooh boost partner up and they can drop the ladder, etc.) and it's just obnoxious. If they can implement co-op in a way similar to Dead Space 3, where it doesn't damage the single player experience, then go for it.
#9UnfoolishPosted 7/11/2013 6:52:45 PM
I like Co-Op but I want a very scary Co-Op game. RE Outbreak was real awesome though online in the old days. I just don't like how this new RE6 Co-Op has melee button mashing, quickshot shooting everyone, so damn messy. Zombies become a punching bag! What a joke!

At least with the GameCube remake, you had to respect the zombies in your space especially with the fixed camera angles. Now RE became a shooter style ever since RE4 then it got worst with RE5 and RE6. I really enjoyed Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles, just put on fixed camera angles then voila we have an awesome game!
#10TurduckenPosted 7/11/2013 11:20:53 PM
This isn't really a YES OR NO type question. It really depends on the story and how they structure the game. The way Capcom's making the co-op games right now, I'm inclined to say no, but it can be done and done well.
---
THE FIGHT WILL CONTINUE, AS LONG AS THE AMERICA INSIDE MY HEART IS STILL ALIVE