[POLL] Co-op In Resident Evil

#21notrandomPosted 7/12/2013 5:32:57 PM
I think most people don't want a partner because they think being alone = scary. And that seems to be the bottom of it.

Sure the dual switches and stuff is kind of stupid but only from a story perspective. Boosting your partner up to higher ground or vault them over a large hole makes sense.
Also in RE6 the partner wasn't as bad as 5 but at the same time they were pretty much there for show whereas Sheva actually helped but also screwed you over on occasion.

Otherwise co-op seems just fine.
---
Say no to EA and Ubisoft's online passes. Say no to Capcom and Activision's scummy DLC ways. Say no to NISA's terrible and unfaithful localizations.
#22TurduckenPosted 7/12/2013 9:52:29 PM
Just having a human-controlled, second player is enough, as seen in Final Fight, Streets Of Rage, Sonic The Hedgehog 2 or Contra

It can be, but those are old-school games that are pretty short and simple to begin with. I'd expect a little more effort out of a multi-million dollar, triple A-class game.
---
THE FIGHT WILL CONTINUE, AS LONG AS THE AMERICA INSIDE MY HEART IS STILL ALIVE
#23largerockPosted 7/13/2013 2:47:04 AM
notrandom posted...
I think most people don't want a partner because they think being alone = scary. And that seems to be the bottom of it.

Sure the dual switches and stuff is kind of stupid but only from a story perspective. Boosting your partner up to higher ground or vault them over a large hole makes sense.
Also in RE6 the partner wasn't as bad as 5 but at the same time they were pretty much there for show whereas Sheva actually helped but also screwed you over on occasion.

Otherwise co-op seems just fine.

Well, being completely alone kinda does play a big role in setting the atmosphere and whatnot which in turn does play a big role in horror games.
---
Not changing this sig until Final Fantasy Versus XIII comes out.
Official Atlas of the god of war ascension board.
#24Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2013 3:22:05 AM
Turducken posted...
I'd expect a little more effort out of a multi-million dollar, triple A-class game.

The effort is there. You're just ignoring them.

- First battle with Ouroboros: One player needs to lure the Ouroboros into the incinerator, while the other activates it.

- Mines: One player needs to illuminate the caves with a flashlight. The player can either put down the light to engage the enemies or help highlight enemies, by aiming the flashlight like a gun.

- Marshlands: In co-op, one player has to drive the boat while the other defends.

- Alternate strategy for Reaper: If players can perform a pincer attack, the one behind the Reaper can directly attack the shoulder weak points easily.

- Second battle with Ouroboros: One player needs to expose the monster's weak points with the flamethrower, while the other player hits those weak points.

- First Wesker Battle: One player can take on Wesker while the other take on brainwashed Jill.
After knocking out the latter, the player can rejoin to perform a pincer attack on Wesker. Wesker can be damaged if player uses stealth but pincer attacks makes it easier to distract and damage him.

- Battle with Brainwashed Jill: One player holds her while the other tries to get rid of the mind control device. There are other methods, such as shooting the device (which is riskier).

- Second Wesker Battle: While you can perform stealth to damage Wesker, you can also use pincer attacks to get hits easier. Additionally, one player can help reload the Rocket Launcher their partner is carrying and also fetch ammunition when necessary.

- Third Wesker Battle: From the start, it focuses on each player covering each other. When both players are reunited, once again, pincer attacks are necessary to be able to easily hit the weak point behind Wesker. There's also a team-up finishing move prompt that should only be attempted if Chris has a lot of vitality.

There are also a bunch more I didn't mention but basically, the emphasis on teamwork and cooperation is there and all you can remember is "pulling two switches at once" or "a few sniping point".
---
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)
#25DarkD3stinyPosted 7/13/2013 5:16:48 AM
Yes defo.
---
(Q) Whats the difference between a hacker and a booster? (A) They both use different unlegit methods to achieve the same goal.
#26TurduckenPosted 7/13/2013 6:58:01 PM
Those listed seem pretty unmemorable, so it's no wonder. Really the only one that I should have remembered to begin with was the mines example. That one was pretty good. The other ones are run-of-the-mill. Which would be fine enough normally I guess, but personally when a long-standing single-player game decides to change itself into a co-op experience, it should bring a little more than the same old, same old to the table. Something to really warrant the change.
---
#27Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2013 10:14:22 PM
Turducken posted...
Those listed seem pretty unmemorable, so it's no wonder.

It doesn't change that the effort's there.
You not remembering them isn't an excuse.

but personally when a long-standing single-player game decides to change itself into a co-op experience, it should bring a little more than the same old, same old to the table.

It was enjoyable enough, especially when a good co-op partner is around.

What was missing was more modern controls but when they did add up-to-date mechanics in RE6, the co-op depth and level design took a dive.
---
#28TurduckenPosted 7/14/2013 10:22:09 PM
It doesn't change that the effort's there.
You not remembering them isn't an excuse.

I didn't remember them because they didn't make an impression. If that's their effort, then they need to step up their game. Very little RE5 did, and NOTHING RE6 did, was an experience done better elsewhere.

It was enjoyable enough, especially when a good co-op partner is around.

It was okay for a playthrough. Doesn't really do much to bring me back, though (especially in 6's case--5 got a LITTLE replay). Ironically, you'd think they'd have more co-op related things in 6 considering it was co-op from day one, but it seems like they used their few original ideas in the previous game.

What was missing was more modern controls but when they did add up-to-date mechanics in RE6, the co-op depth and level design took a dive.

That in itself is pretty strange.
---
#29sevil_yelimsPosted 7/14/2013 10:56:52 PM(edited)
Revelations was originally going to be a co-op game, but it was changed to single player for the main campaign (ironic given RE5's development beforehand). They left the co-op strictly to Raid Mode.

I think that's really the best of both worlds at this time.

Resident Evil in general needs a complete overhaul to make the series scary again, but it can learn from 'The Last of Us'.

TLoU is a single-player game that actually has quite a lot of supporting characters tag-a-long with you for most of the game. Something I once thought hindered a horror title because it loses your feeling of loneliness and helplessness. But now I know that it's not the lack of characters joining you, but how the character itself is portrayed. Ellie was a teenage girl who had little knowledge of the outside world and how to handle weapons. She can be useful, but is quite vulnerable and incapable of always being there for you. The only other character in RE that can relate to her is Ashley, but RE4 was a single player experience and one of the better games in the series.

Still, TLoU campaign on its own would have been less frightening if you had another player helping you rather than planning the course out for yourself and struggling with very little aide from your partners. They saved the multplayer separately and found a way to work it within the game's universe. They kept the player characters human rather than over-powered and made each class rely on one another.

As previously mentioned, Dead Space 3 manages to make co-op and single player function simultaneously within the game's story and game structure. I could see that work for Resident Evil, but to be honest that can work with any genre, including action. A single player campaign doesn't guarantee Capcom has learned enough to make it a horror game once more.

Capcom has fallen behind with how to handle co-op in their horror game. They look at co-op as a means to sell an extra copy without thinking of positive ways to integrate it into their series. Forcing co-op to a series that never needed it doesn't help. Changing the direction from action to horror is the factor they need to rethink the most about. No more super heroes would be a big upgrade to the franchise.
---
I want it all.
#30Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2013 5:28:13 AM
Turducken posted...
I didn't remember them because they didn't make an impression.

Ignorance and absent-mindedness is not an excuse.

The effort's there and your attempt to downplay or overlook them for the sake of standing your ground is ridiculous.

Doesn't really do much to bring me back, though (especially in 6's case--5 got a LITTLE replay).

After getting Platinum, I uninstalled RE5 because I couldn't get a good replay out of it.

By pure chance, I reinstalled it to show the game to my bro and while it was still installed, I decided to play online a bit more.
After encountering many good co-op sessions, I realized that this game had f***loads of replay value and became my most played RE game.

Co-op was this game's saving grace.

sevil_yelims posted...
Forcing co-op to a series that never needed it doesn't help. Changing the direction from action to horror is the factor they need to rethink the most about.

"Never needed it"?

Co-op was one of the first things they considered when developing the original game back in the 90's.
Furthermore, the game was originally intended to be an FPS (after canceling plans on making it a supernatural RPG remake).

You could say that RE5 & RE6 was the series "returning to it's roots".
With PSN & XBL, they were finally able to easily implement co-op for the series.

As you can see, game development is full of canceled ideas and afterthoughts.
Almost every RE game had some chaotic development history (especially 4) and those who still believe in "core elements" or "maintaining resemblance to earlier titles" don't know anything about game development.
---