[POLL] Co-op In Resident Evil

#41XxAxem_BlackxXPosted 7/16/2013 1:28:25 AM
Goldsickle posted...

Oh, no no no.

You're supposed to describe to me what is "Survival Horror".

And from past discussions, you couldn't give a proper description, which was why you stoop to "majority decides", because you can't fight back with logic and reasoning.

I already told ya. Horror theme, slow pacing. How many times do I need to say it?

And horror is subjective.

True but people know a good horror game when they play it. Plenty of people weren't scared playing Silent Hill but it's still considered one of the best survival horror has to offer.

No matter how hard you try, not everyone's gonna be scared.

Capcom isn't trying at all now is the problem. They are just making action games with the RE logo slapped on it.

Sacrificing replay value and accessibility just to gamble with novelty that may not work is a waste.

It's not a novelty. Horror is a real genre not only in video games but also in movies and books and many people happen to enjoy them. I also don't think any of the old RE games sacrifice replay value. You gonna tell me you only played them once?

And despite what you said, I came across players who find 5 scary, even with co-op.
Are you wrong and they're right? Or vice-versa?

Those people are not wrong, they're just an extreme minority of the fanbase. If that wasn't the case people wouldn't be complaining that the new games aren't scary and that the series needs to go back to its roots.
---
www.morbid-obsession.com
#42XxAxem_BlackxXPosted 7/16/2013 1:28:47 AM
People can be picky and obsess over "Survival Horror", "scare factor" and "atmosphere" all they want but despite it's shortcomings (outdated controls), RE5 was a fun game to play.

In other words every game that gets released could be an action shooter but as long as it's fun you're okay with it. Well the rest of us want to play different types of games. Some like action adventure, some like shooters, some like RPGs, some like fighting games, some like racing games and yes some like horror games. When I play RE I want a survival horror game and nothing else. If you would rather play an action shooter that's awesome and there are lots of games that will give you just that.
---
www.morbid-obsession.com
#43Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2013 1:45:24 AM
XxAxem_BlackxX posted...
I already told ya. Horror theme, slow pacing.

So how does it make it different with a regular "horror" game?
Doesn't that make it redundant to be a separate "genre"?

Plenty of people weren't scared playing Silent Hill but it's still considered one of the best survival horror has to offer.

Which brings us back to the whole "subjectivity" thing... and that doesn't help solidify "Survival Horror".

Capcom isn't trying at all now is the problem.

"Not trying at all" would be false.
Some effort could be seen with Leon's campaign in RE6, although either the restrictions in the prologue is too annoying or it's just too difficult to scare me nowadays.

It's not a novelty.

It is, because it wears off.

Blood trail that leads to a skinless corpse.

Empty hallway with ambient sounds

Wow. Creepy.

But only the first few times. After that, it gets old.
If developers hinge on this for replay value, they're not gonna get much out of it.
How many times can the same scare gimmick work before it wears off?

In the end, what's important is the gameplay.

RE5 and 6 may not be considered scary to some but hey, there's a lot of fun in the combat and co-op.
Maybe you or someone else will say something like: "combat isn't what RE/"Survival Horror" is all about" but that's just your own made-up rule.

Also, didn't you read what I said? I played the original RE game to the death.
I also replayed the older games over and over for certain achievements, like getting S rank for RE0 or A rank for Code: VERONICA (probably the only accomplishment with a Trophy).
Sometimes, it's for miscellaneous challenges like trying to defeat Nemesis in all encounters without relying on bonus weapons.

But what keeps me coming back isn't the "scare factor" nor "atmosphere".
It was the gameplay.
"Atmosphere" and so on wore off after the first or second playthrough.

they're just an extreme minority

Statistics, please.

You go on and on about majority and minority but you never provided anything that backs you up.
---
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)
#44Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2013 1:48:03 AM
XxAxem_BlackxX posted...
In other words every game that gets released could be an action shooter but as long as it's fun you're okay with it.

In other words, the developers can take any direction they want and I will judge every game in a franchise individually, instead of imposing personal rules about what direction they can or can't take.

Well the rest of us want to play different types of games.

So does the rest of us who want to see the game evolve and move on with the times.
The developers chose us.
You just have to deal with it.
---
#45XxAxem_BlackxXPosted 7/16/2013 5:38:24 PM(edited)
Goldsickle posted...
So how does it make it different with a regular "horror" game?
Doesn't that make it redundant to be a separate "genre"?

I don't know any games that are just horror. They always have a second title like survival, psychological or action.

Which brings us back to the whole "subjectivity" thing... and that doesn't help solidify "Survival Horror".

Sure it does. I would argue that most people probably aren't truly "scared" of video games but Silent Hill is considered one of the best survival horror titles. You don't need to be scared to recognize a great horror game, movie or book.

"Not trying at all" would be false.

*sigh* Well they try very little then. Happy?

It is, because it wears off.

Blood trail that leads to a skinless corpse.

Empty hallway with ambient sounds

Wow. Creepy.

But only the first few times. After that, it gets old.

So what are you suggesting? Do you think Team Silent should have made Silent Hill into an action shooter under the reasoning that scares wear off eventually? I'm glad you're not a developer is all I can say.

RE5 and 6 may not be considered scary to some but hey, there's a lot of fun in the combat and co-op.

COD has fun multiplayer combat too, as does Gears of War, Resistance, RE's mercs mode, and tons of other games. When I play RE's campaign I want a survival horror game. Variety is a great thing.
---
www.morbid-obsession.com
#46XxAxem_BlackxXPosted 7/16/2013 5:36:23 PM
Goldsickle posted...
In other words, the developers can take any direction they want and I will judge every game in a franchise individually, instead of imposing personal rules about what direction they can or can't take.

Sorry but we have game series' for a reason. Every game is not a standalone title and people have an expectation that a game series keep certain elements. For example COD gamers expect a military shooter in every COD game, Tekken players expect a fighting game in every Tekken title and would be pretty upset if Namco turned it into "Tekken Kart Racing." RE players want a survival horror title out of RE.

So does the rest of us who want to see the game evolve and move on with the times.
The developers chose us.

Lol no. The developers chose to cater to a small minority of RE fans that like the action direction over the horror direction and they paid for it with RE6 underperforming so badly. I would like to think they learned from their mistake but again knowing Capcom you can never be sure. I think they got the hint this time though.

What's this stuff about moving on with the times? Are you claiming the horror genre is somehow outdated?
---
www.morbid-obsession.com
#47ZeeDoggePosted 7/16/2013 5:51:49 PM
XxAxem_BlackxX posted...
Goldsickle posted...

Sorry but we have game series' for a reason. Every game is not a standalone title and people have an expectation that a game series keep certain elements. For example COD gamers expect a military shooter in every COD game, Tekken players expect a fighting game in every Tekken title and would be pretty upset if Namco turned it into "Tekken Kart Racing." RE players want a survival horror title out of RE.

The developers chose us.

Lol no. The developers chose to cater to a small minority of RE fans that like the action direction over the horror direction and they paid for it with RE6 underperforming so badly. I would like to think they learned from their mistake but again knowing Capcom you can never be sure. I think they got the hint this time though.

What's this stuff about moving on with the times? Are you claiming the horror genre is somehow outdated?

The horror genre was outdated by the time RE4 was being made. The first true survival horror was released last month. Get with the times.

BTW, Revelations underperformed as well, along with a lot other games that actually had quality.
---
lol assault rifles are machine guns.... d'oh! :P btw so are submgs and anything that has automatic fire.
~squiggy9996999
#48XxAxem_BlackxXPosted 7/16/2013 6:49:16 PM
Video game genres can't be outdated though. They can only wax and wane in popularity.
---
www.morbid-obsession.com
#49Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2013 1:03:13 AM
XxAxem_BlackxX posted...
I don't know any games that are just horror.

Horror-themed games. Is that hard to understand?

Unless you want to try and argue with me that "Silent Hill is more than just horror, it's 'Survival Horror'!".

Sure it does.

And all you can do is go back to your transparent "considered by others" reasoning.

How about giving a description of what "Survival Horror" is?

If you can't give a universal, established description that is consistent with everyone else' description, then you can't really prove to me or anyone else that they exist.

So what are you suggesting?

Stop putting too much priority on the "atmosphere" or "scare factor".
In the end, it's a game, not art.
I expect a game to play properly.

When I play RE's campaign I want a survival horror game.

Play something else that fits your narrowed-down expectations.

Oh, you're probably gonna be cute and say "you go play something else" but remember that Resident Evil has changed.
That's the reality.

Sorry but we have game series' for a reason.

To make money so they can pay the bills and have food on the table.

If changing a series' staple or direction makes them more money, then game developers will do just that.

It's a business after all.
---
#50Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2013 1:03:18 AM
XxAxem_BlackxX posted...
small minority

Weasel Word.

RE6 underperforming

Still sold much more than the average classic series.
If those figures are "underperforming", then it would be far more successful than the classics if it did perform well.

No matter how many times you bring this up, it's not a surefire news that the series will go back to catering to your narrowed-down expectations of what a Resident Evil game "should" be.

What's this stuff about moving on with the times?

Cashing in on what's popular (such as co-op).
Like I said, game development is a business after all.
---