What would you change about RE6?

#1parkourboybryanPosted 7/21/2013 5:03:21 PM
I started playing this game again recently, and have come to accept it for what it is. It's not my favorite RE game, but it's far from my least favorite. The reason I think this game got lower than average reviews is just because of a few minor design choices that detracted from the experience and gave the game an "On-Rails Michael Bay Movie" vibe. If I could change a few things about the game to make it better (IN MY OPINION), it'd be:

1. Remove the Objective Marker: I think given the fact that this game is extremely linear as is, we don't really need the objective marker telling us the exact direction to go, especially considering that the environment already does. Let us wonder, if ever so slightly, where to go without being told. A minor change, but one that might make the game slightly better.

2. Far Fewer QTE's: Granted their abundance has more to do with the script than the overall design of the game, I still think that there's far too many of them. There are definitely a few moments where they aren't needed by any means. The helicopter sequence is one of them. We all know that the helicopter was going to crash, but instead of dragging it out for 2 and a half minutes with QTE's, a simple shorter 30 second cutscene would have sufficed.

3. Less Random Ammo Drops and Barrels/Crates: I don't mind enemies dropping ammo, and I don't mind finding ammo in your environment. What I don't like, is killing a female zombie in short shorts and spaghetti straps and having her drop a heavy duty caliber ammo like NATO cartridges. I think that ammo drops should be reserved to police zombies only, and if not, at least make the ammo the enemy drops more appropriate. Make civilians drop Handgun and occasionally, shotgun and even more occasionally, magnum ammo, and make the armed enemies drop the more heavy duty stuff like grenades and rifle/shotgun/magnum/machine gun ammo more frequently. And that brings me to part 2 of this, why the hell does a barrel placed in the sewer under a university have C4. I think that ammo should not be just randomly found in boxes, crates, and barrels throughout the environment, and instead should be found for diligently or slightly searching the environment, for example opening the drawer in the gun shop and finding shotgun ammo.

4. Have 2 Single Player and 2 CO-OP campaigns: This way you can appease the players who want both for when they make multiple playthroughs. One of the CO-OP campaigns should be replaced by a Single Player one so the players spend just as much time on their own as they do with a partner. It would help to increase the horror aspect considering the fact that playing through a game with a partner does make the game objectively less scary as a result.

5. More Puzzles: I say this with truth, I want to be mentally challenged when I play Resident Evil again, I want to find Files to give me a hint and have me figure out the rest myself, I want to read a riddle and have to decipher the solution to a puzzle, but that can't happen if they aren't there in the first place. The only significant puzzle in this game was the slide panel in Ada's chapter 1, and the crossbow zombie puzzle in chapter 2. I know some people don't like puzzles, and that's partly responsible for RE6 having next to none, but they can fit in this game, and with some good thought, can fit well in a co-op environment. I will say though that they should make them more easily fit into the environment, like the RE3 water puzzle, RE4 slider, RE5 Sundial and RE2 power room puzzle, instead of just having fetch quests, and "why would someone put a key here" moments.

Anyway, if Capcom had done this, I would have thought RE6 would be the perfect RE Game, Survival Horror or not. What would you change, don't say nothing, as no-one should say with a straight face that this game is perfect in every way?
---
Anxiously awaiting the next Mirror's Edge.
Check out my entertainment blog: http://aicguild.blogspot.com
#2ArchiantagonistPosted 7/21/2013 5:24:57 PM
- No J'avo-like enemies(talking/shooting/etc)
- Better story (I realize that it's stupid to expect this to happen these days...but one can still dream)
- No AI Partner option
- Manual Saving option (Auto Save disable)
- No 10 sec scenes, during which you can't control chars, but enemies are still moving around

I think these are my major issues
---
--------------------x_0--------------------
#3edward18Posted 7/21/2013 5:49:11 PM
Classic gameplay and a better story with the backstory and viral agent making sense.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#4gmoshierPosted 7/21/2013 6:09:52 PM
1) Completely eliminate Chris's campaign.

2) Expand on Leon's, Jake's, and Ada's campaigns.

3) Replace all j'avo with zombies.

4) Reduce the amount of QTE's.

5) Make the camera similar to RE 5 and/or RE: Revelations style.
---
Must buy Saints Row IV, Beyond: Two Souls, & Batman: Arkham Origins!
http://www.ps3trophies.com/card/10/gmoshier.png
#5Rapham0nPosted 7/21/2013 10:31:24 PM
These are actually problems I'm seeing in all of CAPCOM's games lately:

-Enemies can move around and attack you WHILE you are watching a cutscene and then by the time the cutscene is over you've lost half of your health. CAPCOM need to stop doing this. When a cutscene shows up the entire game world is supposed to go in pause mode so to speak.

-Cutscenes that are too long or too high a frequency of cutscenes. Having to watch a 2-minute scene is just stupid. Video games are meant to be played, not watched. Also having a cutscene thrown in your face every 2 seconds is just annoying.

-Cutscenes that show up in the worst possible times. For example WHILE I'm busy shooting an enemy or WHILE I'm being attacked by an enemy. WTF CAPCOM?!?

-Enemies that clearly miss you but then according to the game they did not miss you and the enemy magically gets hold of you and eats away half of your health. I've seen this in Dead Rising 2 and now in RE6 as well.

And now for some gripes specifically about this game:

-CAPCOM, please stop breaking up character pairs. If Chris is in a game then Jill should be there as well. If Leon is in a game then Claire should be there as well. Having Chris in the game while Jill is MIA just feels wrong. The same goes for having Leon in while Claire is MIA.

-Fix the lighting. The lighting in RE6 is so ridiculously dark it's not funny. And turning up the brightness doesn't help because doing that just causes the game to look washed out.

-Give us a damned game manual for your games! There are many aspects of RE6 that the game does not teach players. Things that all players need to know in order to properly play the game. RE6 is the type of game that really needs a manual to help explains things. I really don't know who the fool was that decided it was a good idea to release this game with no manual.
---
Thus did man become the architect of his own demise.
#6Cdr_Shepard_N7Posted 7/21/2013 10:43:07 PM
Longer campaigns, even after beating all 4, the game felt too short. Leon's campaign was pure win. Make re7 like that and throw in an unstoppable nemesis type enemy.
---
Not changing sig until there are hd versions/collections of Shenmue, Grandia 2, Skies of Arcadia, PSO, Xenosaga, Onimusha, and Fatal Frame. 7/14/13
#7IlDankoPosted 7/21/2013 10:45:55 PM
gmoshier posted...

Why eliminate one the two campaigns that made any sense and actually mattered storywise in the game?

Why expand leon's campaign when his is the one which mattered the less?

About the other points i completely agree
---
Shhhh... Quiet, you might piss somebody off
PSN: Dan21993
#8edward18Posted 7/21/2013 10:55:41 PM
Personally I wanna be able to beat the main games in under 5-6 hours AT LEAST.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#9gmoshierPosted 7/22/2013 3:14:47 AM
IlDanko posted...
gmoshier posted...

Why eliminate one the two campaigns that made any sense and actually mattered storywise in the game?

Why expand leon's campaign when his is the one which mattered the less?

About the other points i completely agree

We all have our own opinions. Chris's campaign had the best story but it was pretty bad imo. I also thought that Leon's was the best and the other 2 were good.
---
Must buy Saints Row IV, Beyond: Two Souls, & Batman: Arkham Origins!
http://www.ps3trophies.com/card/10/gmoshier.png
#10Da DoodPosted 7/22/2013 2:33:15 PM(edited)
Assuming it's not possible to redesign most levels, here are some minor improvements that would at least make me want to revisit the game more often:

- Allow starting a new file from scratch
I know about creating a new PS3 profile, still would prefer an in-game solution.

- Allow skipping or storing weapons
This is mainly to avoid unwanted ammo drops. Handicap runs in RE4 and 5 are a lot of fun because you can store/ignore weapons and only get the drops you want. In this game, because you always have all the weapons in your inventory, you get just a little bit of everything.

- Less context moves in general
In RE4, the basic strategy is to shoot an enemy in the head, get close and perform a context kick or suplex. In RE6, there's like a billion types of context moves, most being fancy Fatality animations, and they always appear when I don't want any.

- Solo option
Solo as in no CPU partner. I don't care if that would hurt the story. They could add an option as an unlockable or something.

- Alt. costumes in the main story
Not that important, just kind of a fun tradition.

EDIT: Oh right, and better lighting! It's not because the subway is dark that it's suddenly scary.
---
And this time!