Zombie games are just not the same after playing The Last of Us

#81GoldsicklePosted 8/9/2013 5:16:17 AM(edited)
XxAxem_BlackxX posted...
Dogs almost never move out of the way of a quickshot. Come on now.

Play Mercenaries more often.

The combat gauge recharges very quickly

Still doesn't change that there's a limit or cool-down requirement.
In the older games, it's just R1 + X.
You can even "Quick-switch-shot" by pressing R2 to switch to different enemies quickly, without lowering the gun.

grounded enemies

Enemies lying down, unmoving are supposed to be a problem? Come on now.

can't be hit by an eye-level shot once they get within a certain distance and then you have to aim down to hit them.

Which only further highlights the ridiculousness of the old game's shooting mechanics.
You can shoot down or up but only at a specific angle.

For decapitation, you need to be very close to the zombie.
Meanwhile, this was all fixed in RE4 onwards, where you could just aim for the head from where you're standing.

Oh and none of that 5% head shot nonsense.
---
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)
#82XxAxem_BlackxXPosted 8/10/2013 3:38:16 AM
I used to play mercs a lot and I can say from experience that dogs rarely move out of the way of a quick shot. The only bad thing is sometimes I'll do a qs wanting to hit a dog but it'll target something else but that didn't happen that often either. When I said "grounded enemies" I meant things like dogs and lickers. Once they get within a certain distance you can't aim straight ahead and hit them.
---
www.morbid-obsession.com
#83sevil_yelimsPosted 8/10/2013 7:50:16 AM
The Last of Us is a phenomenal game. Capcom can continue to chase the CoD dollar all it likes (and it's not attempting this with just the Biohazard series mind you), but that shouldn't distract anyone from appreciating a good horror game when it finally comes around.

I'd be surprised if many of the people still active on this board weren't making a case defending RE6, but sensible people know the game the game is trash when placed next to TLoU. As it's being said, it's like throwing a Michael Bay film next to one by Stanley Kubrick. There will be people entertained to some degree from a Bay film, but it's not going to be remembered as a spectacular piece. And neither will RE6.

The bar is set very high for AAA console games. And if Mikami brings back anticipation of survival horror with The Evil Within (hope the game turns out better) then Capcom might need to rethink their strategy with how they approach Resident Evil in the future.

Wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing TLoU elements in the next Resident Evil.
---
I want it all.
#84GoldsicklePosted 8/10/2013 8:25:42 AM
XxAxem_BlackxX posted...
I used to play mercs a lot and I can say from experience that dogs rarely move out of the way of a quick shot.

Not that rarely.

When I said "grounded enemies" I meant things like dogs and lickers.

You're somewhat wrong.

I loaded RE2 just to test this and you can still hit a Cerberus while aiming at eye-level, even if it's practically kissing Leon's crotch.
You can't shoot a Licker at eye-level using a handgun but you can do so with a shotgun.
You might say "it's because of the shotgun's spread effect" but if we're talking about realism, you shouldn't be able to hit something ducking under the barrel of the shotgun.
The spread effect isn't that wide.
Also, you can still hit a Licker with a shotgun at eye-level even if it's pressed against the floor, in a crawling pose.

I'll have to test this out for the other old REs.
---
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)
#85telkomselPosted 8/10/2013 10:21:26 AM
sevil_yelims posted...
The Last of Us is a phenomenal game. Capcom can continue to chase the CoD dollar all it likes(and it's not attempting this with just the Biohazard series mind you), but that shouldn't distract anyone from appreciating a good horror game when it finally comes around.

I'd be surprised if many of the people still active on this board weren't making a case defending RE6, but sensible people know the game the game is trash when placed next to TLoU. As it's being said, it's like throwing a Michael Bay film next to one by Stanley Kubrick. There will be people entertained to some degree from a Bay film, but it's not going to be remembered as a spectacular piece. And neither will RE6.

The bar is set very high for AAA console games. And if Mikami brings back anticipation of survival horror with The Evil Within (hope the game turns out better) then Capcom might need to rethink their strategy with how they approach Resident Evil in the future.

Wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing TLoU elements in the next Resident Evil.

THIS, a thousand times this.
Ha ha, your post really hits the nail in our head :D

Yes it's true, RE6 is not a COD wannabe.
BUT, what it did try was giving weight to the "shooting" element so they could embrace the "shooter" gamer.
Maybe they added weight the "shooting" element because shooter game (either first or third person) was what "IN" back then.
That's why they tried to embrace the "shooter" gamer.
But in the process, they lost their identity as a "horror" game.
Thus long gone the horror element that was "magic" and "captivating" in REmake and RE2.

NOW, since TLOU is what "IN" right now, I wouldn't be surprise, if RE gave weight to the "horror" element again, to embrace the TLOU gamer.
---
Today I saw a Slave more powerful than the Emperor of Rome
The Gladiator
#86riddlebox89Posted 8/10/2013 5:01:44 PM
XxAxem_BlackxX posted...
So as old as the games are you still have your first ever save files? Little hard to believe. Like I told you having lots of ammo doesn't make a game action focused. Giving you tons of fast moving enemies and action music blaring in the background is what makes a game action focused. You just want to make excuses for Capcom selling out is all.

Yeah, I have enough memory cards to use one memory card for six different game genres so I can keep as many saves as I want instead of having to worry about deleting saves to make room for more like before when I only had one card. That and beating it through the first time was a big thing for me so I kept the save as a memory of the first time beating it.

By that logic, if a game gave you very little ammo, had fast moving enemies and loud music in the background, it would be an action game even though the focus isn't on combat.

So I guess that means if a game gives you lots of ammo, fast moving enemies and doesn't have loud background music, it's not an action game then? So I guess that makes the earlier Splinter Cell games action games because during some points in the game, the background music gets louder and more upbeat.

Dead Space doesn't have loud action music playing in the background, but it has fast moving enemies, so I guess that makes it an action/not action game right?

Oh but hey, what if I turned the background music off completely? Would that make an action game no longer an action game?

And what about the games that don't have loud background music or fast moving enemies but are still action games?

Seriously...go back and read that again and maybe you'll see how stupid it is.

The earlier Resident Evil titles, while not completely action focused, still had a high amount of action in them, really they're not much else than games that blend action and survival horror gameplay almost perfectly.

edward18 posted...
Remake and Code Veronica.

REmake is just RE1's story with the Lisa Trevor stuff put in, it's still a generic B level zombie story.

And Code Veronica having a good story? I'm sorry but that simply isn't true, it's still a generic B zombie story, on an island, with a generic creepy castle, and an insane crossdresser with a multiple personality disorder and a main villain with the cliched "I'm gonna take over the world!" complex, as well as a very crappy and pretty forced "love" story between Claire and that one kid who wasn't important enough for me to remember his name.

Neither of them had stories that are worth writing home about, you know, like all the other games in the franchise, Resident Evil never was a franchise that gave much in terms of story.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#87UnfoolishPosted 8/10/2013 9:20:52 PM
Last of Us is not about zombies, they are more like maniacs from '28 Days Later' movie - those runners!

The original RE, zombies were a threat. I liked the fact you had to think whether to shoot the zombie or try to dodge it because ammo was scarce. In the GC remake, if you killed a zombie and backtrack later, it might turn into a crimson head so when you killed a zombie, you had to make a decision whether to burn it too.

I liked how Last of Us made us think about attacking runners, clickers, bloaters... if it backfires, you have to deal with the chaos crowds. You also have to think about your ammo and the sound when you fire which can attract attention. Stealth skills, avoidance and dodging was the key to survival and also devising a strategy how to handle sticky situations like trying to find an exit but there is multiple enemies in your way that prevent movement.
#88riddlebox89Posted 8/10/2013 9:46:20 PM
Unfoolish posted...
Last of Us is not about zombies, they are more like maniacs from '28 Days Later' movie - those runners!

Play more games than Resident Evil and watch more movies/tv shows than Walking Dead and the Romero zombie movies and you'll find that there's a lot more than just undead type zombies. So yes the runners in Last of Us can be considered zombies and the clickers can be considered evolved zombies (like crimson heads and lickers)

There's nothing wrong with calling Last of Us a zombie game.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#89SSJ_JinPosted 8/21/2013 5:35:03 AM
Well this topic is a complete lie. After getting LOU and I'm at the science building, which I assume is getting pretty close to the end, zombies in that game are nothing compared to RE. In fact, the zombies in LOU aren't even memorable.

You hardly fight them, there's nothing scary about them, they're pretty....lame. Fighting the humans is more fun than fighting the zombies. Oh, and I don't use the R2 "see through walls" button because that feels cheap and it's more fun playing without it, IMO. Still my 2-3 jumps weren't from the zombies, but from a human blasting a shotgun at me or something.

It's sad that Capcom has mentioned this game because I don't want RE to follow it at all. It really is an overrated game. It's good, but I have no intention on playing single player ever again because most of the game is "follow me and listen."

RE zombies >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LOU zombies
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KDXVEOqj8
http://antir.site90.net/
#90Volren617Posted 8/21/2013 8:16:05 AM
TLoU is not a horror game, there's nothing scary about any of it unless wandering around dark places strangling random infected is something you find scary (the rest of is even less scary). They even give you a little girl as a safety blanket for almost all of it.

And before anyone accuses me of RE fanboyism there has been nothing remotely scary about RE since 3. Tbh even 2 wasn't really frightening.

It plays a lot like Uncharted except they moved away from non-stop action with puzzle solving interludes by slowing the pace a bit and doing their best to encourage stealth tactics over simply shooting your way through everything by reducing the availability of ammo and requiring you to use resources to heal. Plus Joel can't climb just about anything like Nate can and so has to spend time looking for things like planks or ladders.

Story and characters are well done if a bit cliche, world design is very good (one of ND's big strengths), combat and encounters are pretty much the same thing in different places and alternating between human enemies and infected. I'll probably start a NG+ run through, go through the game a second time and then never play the game again. A good game, but pretty linear and gameplay isn't exceptional enough to keep me coming back to it nonstop.

I suspect I won't spend even 10% of the total time I have playing mercs in either RE5 or 6 playing TLoU. It definitely overpowers them in the storytelling aspects, but you only need to sit through a story once.