Resident Evil 6: Capcom says next game will return to series roots

#1HardDifficultyPosted 8/15/2013 8:23:38 AM
Resident Evil 6 developer Capcom has recognised that the action-horror title received a mixed bag of reviews and opinions at launch, while the positive reaction to Resident Evil: Revelations has confirmed to the company that it has to return to the series’ roots in the next instalment.

Speaking with MCV, Capcom’s former SVP of marketing Michael Pattison said, “We have obviously seen the consumer response and the PR response. There was some great positives out of that, but it was a mixed bag, as we saw from the review scores. We have got to take that on-board, we can’t ignore that, and we have to take that onto the next game when we make the next Resident Evil.

“With Resident Evil 6 specifically, we probably put too much content in there, there were comments from consumers that said it felt bloated. The Leon missions went down very well, and because we did Resident Evil Revelations on 3DS, there was a cry out for us to focus our attention on survival horror, rather than be too many things to all people. You’ll find where we go next will likely be more targeted at our core fanbase.

“A lot is said about the saturation of this zombie, post-apocalyptic survival horror. But it is still alive and well. The Last of Us shows a good direction of what the consumers want. Tomb Raider as well, we spoke to R&D and they looked at that and they enjoyed that experience. I think that proves there is still a strong market for that sort of content.”

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/15/resident-evil-6-devs-cant-ignore-mixed-reaction-next-one-will-return-to-roots-says-capcom/
#2HardDifficulty(Topic Creator)Posted 8/15/2013 8:24:53 AM
I smell BS, I hope you guys had a good read anyway.
If they lied again, I don't think those who still support them will buy a new RE again.
#3Dark__ThronePosted 8/15/2013 8:37:11 AM
I could've sworn they said the same thing before RE6 before it came out.

Anyhow I indeed smell bulls***. I don't think they're ever going focus on survival horror for the next RE installment. They'll continue to focus on action.
#4HardDifficulty(Topic Creator)Posted 8/15/2013 8:44:13 AM
Dark__Throne posted...
I could've sworn they said the same thing before RE6 before it came out.

Anyhow I indeed smell bulls***. I don't think they're ever going focus on survival horror for the next RE installment. They'll continue to focus on action.

They didn't say the same thing, but they lied, they said that RE6 offers a survival-horror experience.
but this is the first time they say the "will return to it's roots" crap for their next game.
#5edward18Posted 8/15/2013 8:45:23 AM
First off it's Capcom. Of course they don't mean what they say. Second off, they always say they're gonna return to its roots. And aside from that we don't even know what "their roots" are in their eyes.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#6ZGMF_600_GuaizPosted 8/15/2013 8:45:41 AM
Revelations got much better reviews than RE6, and the good reception of The Last Of Us also played a role in such decision. Anyway, I'm glad to hear this.

If Capcom still wants to explore the dramatic action route of RE6, they can do so with side stories like Operation Raccoon City.

The only question left is if the new survival horror entry of the series will be a RE7 or maybe the so much requested REmake of RE2.
#7good_tobiPosted 8/15/2013 9:17:08 AM
"The Leon missions went down very well"

that means, Capcom blames Chris and Jake campaigns.....hmm
---
Don't need sharingan to see this.
#8HardDifficulty(Topic Creator)Posted 8/15/2013 10:07:44 AM
good_tobi posted...
"The Leon missions went down very well"

that means, Capcom blames Chris and Jake campaigns.....hmm

Ha! Imagine if they started blaming their own characters for real.
#9goku4ever03Posted 8/15/2013 10:10:45 AM
Are they implying that Revelations is the "series' roots"? Revelations is personally my least favourite of the main series.
---
The ultimate woman is a man - House
#10ReceiverxWisdomPosted 8/15/2013 10:28:49 AM(edited)
Why would anyone believe Capcom anymore? They lie so hard it would make any cartoon villain blush.

They royally butchered their own series with devastatingly crap sequels and reboots like RE, Dead Rising, Marvel Vs Capcom, Lost Planet, Devil May Cry and many many others.

Notice how it's also "THE FORMER" SVP boss of marketing. This information might not even be pertinent anymore when development really picks up and Capcom decides that "COD" sells is the only way for the series to survive....yet again.

I have more hope for "The Evil Within" than a Resident Evil 7.
---
"I'm the man you love to hate and I'm sure as hell not phased by you fakes."
PSN: LatinChris_9990