Trying to get into the Resident Evil series?

#1Mother-NesuPosted 8/26/2013 9:15:43 AM
I love the Devil may cry series... so will i like the resident evil games? Im thinking about renting RE6 although do i need to play the others or at least look up the history to understand it? Also how story driven are the series as a whole. Some of my friends says its pretty story driven like metal gear, but some say its not. I know nothing about it other than it has zombies, and that some guy named Leon looks just like DMC4's Dante... Anyone who knows their resident evil please help me out with this. :S
#2GoldsicklePosted 8/26/2013 9:39:25 AM
The gameplay of Resident Evil can be demanding.

You're dumped in a place with 10 doors and you need to check each and every door to see if it's locked or leads somewhere.
The game won't tell you where to get the keys. You find them on your own.

The enemies don't drop items. Whatever ammo you find is the only one available and limited in supply.

To save the game, you will need an item called Ink Ribbon, to be used at Typewriters.
If you run out of Ink Ribbons, you can't save anymore and need to find more Ribbons.

However, all these only applies to the first 3 games and a remake and a couple of spin-off titles.

As of 4, the game becomes more linear, straightforward and action-oriented, with over-the-shoulder aiming and item drops.
Starting from the 5th game, co-op becomes a standard.
---
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)
#3skermacPosted 8/26/2013 9:53:12 AM
Play RE 1, 2, 3, then REmake, then 0, then RE4 and you will be into it.
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#4GigerSupremePosted 8/26/2013 11:56:36 AM
the original devil may cry has alot of the DNA of the original RE games in it. if you liked the first DMC, chances are you will appreciate the older RE games.
#5GigerSupremePosted 8/26/2013 12:58:19 PM
http://31.media.tumblr.com/3604cc7032d77d900313bd7fef95f3c5/tumblr_mposq6ulpv1sq2xoeo1_500.gif
#6ZGMF_600_GuaizPosted 8/27/2013 12:51:50 AM
I definitely wouldn't recommend to start with RE6: it's as far away from the series roots as it can be.

Gameplay-wise, I would largely group the games into 3 large categories:

-Classic RE games (tank controls and fixed cameras: RE0, RE(original and remake), RE2, RE3 and RE: Code Veronica
-Action RE games (CoD oriented, main campaign co-op): RE5 & RE6
-Mid-tier games (somewhere between the previous two categories): RE4 and RE:Revelations

Basically, classic games have better atmosphere and greater focus on survival horror, while action games ditch the horror elements for tension by having you fight hordes of enemies. RE4 and RE: Revelations are more similar to the alter, but still retain strong horror elements, so I do think fo them as a sort of middle-ground.

As for the story itself, I would recommend playing RE: The Umbrella Chronicles and RE: The Darkside Chronicles. they are on-rail shooters which cover most of the events of the classic RE games. They are not as good as the originals, and sometimes take liberties altering some events, but they do provide a quick recap fo the most relevant points of the early RE timeline.

As for the later games, I would suggest playing them in the following order:

RE4 -> RE: Revelations -> RE5 -> RE6

Finally, as a sort of honorific mention, I would really recommend you to play the RE: Outbreak games. They are also classic style games, but you are controlling a generic survivor character in many different situations during a zombie outbreak, such as escaping from a Zoo full of infected animals, including a zombie elephant that is constantly pursuing you.
#7GigerSupremePosted 8/27/2013 3:58:51 AM
ZGMF_600_Guaiz posted...
I definitely wouldn't recommend to start with RE6: it's as far away from the series roots as it can be.

Gameplay-wise, I would largely group the games into 3 large categories:

-Classic RE games (tank controls and fixed cameras: RE0, RE(original and remake), RE2, RE3 and RE: Code Veronica
-Action RE games (CoD oriented, main campaign co-op): RE5 & RE6
-Mid-tier games (somewhere between the previous two categories): RE4 and RE:Revelations

Basically, classic games have better atmosphere and greater focus on survival horror, while action games ditch the horror elements for tension by having you fight hordes of enemies. RE4 and RE: Revelations are more similar to the alter, but still retain strong horror elements, so I do think fo them as a sort of middle-ground.

As for the story itself, I would recommend playing RE: The Umbrella Chronicles and RE: The Darkside Chronicles. they are on-rail shooters which cover most of the events of the classic RE games. They are not as good as the originals, and sometimes take liberties altering some events, but they do provide a quick recap fo the most relevant points of the early RE timeline.

As for the later games, I would suggest playing them in the following order:

RE4 -> RE: Revelations -> RE5 -> RE6

Finally, as a sort of honorific mention, I would really recommend you to play the RE: Outbreak games. They are also classic style games, but you are controlling a generic survivor character in many different situations during a zombie outbreak, such as escaping from a Zoo full of infected animals, including a zombie elephant that is constantly pursuing you.

for semi "gaiden" type classic RE games, you could also add Dino Crisis.
#8MiLO_zzPosted 8/29/2013 2:27:51 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#9ArchiantagonistPosted 8/29/2013 2:34:00 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#10este914Posted 9/4/2013 8:04:46 AM
GigerSupreme posted...
for semi "gaiden" type classic RE games, you could also add Dino Crisis.

Dino Crisis 1 is awesome and very similar to the original RE's 1-3.
Dino Crisis 2 is awesome but not similar at all (for the most part) It is a run-n-gun, upgrade your weapon/ability type game with some keys and exploration needed.
Dino Crisis 3 is ... well we don't speak about it tbh.
---
...::: este914 :::...
The One & Only!