Just got it this today....I'm not seeing what's bad about it (possible spoilers)

#1kickthegnomePosted 8/31/2013 11:22:45 PM
So i just picked this up today (actually grabbed the pc version but their board is dead). and I'm up to chapter 3 in Leon's campaign and in all honesty....I don't see why this game has a lot of hate.

I mean yes it has a few things that are annoying such as:
Tripping (it just just gets old tripping over dead bodies)

If you suspect a body to be a zombie sometimes you can't shoot/kill it until the game triggers it targetable (this is honestly my biggest issue. I'll suspect zombie and shoot it to see nothing happens. Then when I get a key item the body comes to life)

QTE (but even these aren't that bad once you learn to counterattack. Especially once you learn that double tapping the A (or X if ps3) button makes him throw the door open instead of opening it slowly. Allowing you to either fire quicker or counter if an enemy lunges immediately.

In all honesty though....I feel it's a major step up from RE5. I mean yes, I think RE5 was pretty bad and I had considered it the worst until "That game that shall not be mentioned" *shudder* came out (you guys know what I'm talking about). But I feel RE6, while not perfect, is definitely an improvement.

From what I've noticed so far the QTEs aren't as bad as RE5 (Hell so far they're doable. Anyone remember the korean like button pressing you needed to pass shiva's QTE during the final chapter. I believe it was 2 minutes straight of pressing A or some ridiculous thing like that).

Though I hate A.I. partners in games like this...I feel it's definitely an improvement over RE5's. They went and added comments for "move", "follow" and "wait" which was my biggest issue (besides the partner itself) with RE5. I was a guy that soloed the campaign of RE5 and found the final boss to be a huge pain in the ass when his weak point is on his back and there's no way to get the a.i. to stop following me so that I could easily get behind the boss/get the boss' back to her. At least if there's a boss like that in this game (like i said only chapter 3 with leon) the wait command should help with that.

And really they did something that resident evil hasn't done in a long time (heck i don't even think 4 went for scares. 4 was when it really started to make the action turn).....they actually made it kinda creepy. I mean yeah the scares are cliche and kinda corny...but heck when opening the door in the house outside the cathedral and having the dog just jump out.....I admit i jumped it started me. Then following that in the lab in chapter 2 it just gave this vibe. This "....I know this is a resident evil game....but I'm expecting some dead space like scary s***" Yeah the scare never came but it gave the atmosphere of it. I mean this game isn't dead space 1/2 scary but at least it's been kinda creepy (or so I've felt)....it's just a nice turn from going pure action like 5 did.

I mean yeah I'm not too far into this game but I'm just not seeing why this game got as much hate as it did at launch. Like I said, it's not perfect and it has it's flaws...but it's not horrible.

Just my 2 cents on it.

TLDR: I think this game is better than 5 and doesn't deserve all the hate it got at launch.

/blogfaqs
/sweet mother of text batman!
inb4tldr
#2rito1995Posted 9/1/2013 4:25:40 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3rito1995Posted 9/1/2013 4:26:16 AM
Yes, it's better than 5 and i actually enjoy the game too . But there are lots of plotholes , it's lack of horror ( i played the whole game and nothing scared me at all ) .
#4ZGMF_600_GuaizPosted 9/1/2013 8:10:25 AM
I'm afraid just just haven't seen enough of the game yet...

Just taking Leon's campaign as an example, while chapter 3 becomes ridiculous (seriously? Huge catacombs built in underground caves in North America? Ancient zombies in said abandoned caves using magically lit dynamite sticks and lanterns, not to mention the ones wearing dynamite vests?).

Also, you are reaching the point where horror is completely ditched in favor fo repetitive boss fights.

The other campaigns basically ditch the horror, focusing on their corresponding trait, such as Chris' which is the one that works best with the action-focused controllers. Personally, for an action focused RE game I much prefer Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City controls than RE6's. RE:ORC's multiplayer is also much better than RE6's, in my personal opinion.

Furthermore, Capcom has officially admitted that the game was a failure. Fan opinions are all around, with many people saying that game felt bloated, and polar opposite opinions split about which is the best campaign:

-A group of fans say that Leon's campaign was the best and Chris' the worst.
-Another group of fans say that Chris' campaign was the best and Leon's the worst.

Fanbases of the different RE subtypes are more split than ever thanks to RE6, despite Capcom's intention of making RE6 a game for everyone that would instead reconcile the overall RE fanbase. Personally I felt very annoyed after playing the game, with its glaring lack of horror despite Capcom claiming that horror would still be a relevant element.

Ultimately, Capcom itself has admitted that RE6 isn't a survival horror game, instead labeling it as dramatic horror. But the overall lack of horror and excessive action makes me want to give it a label such as dramatic action/action drama instead, which is precisely what you get from Capcom's attempt at turning RE into a Hollywood-like action-focused game.
#5kickthegnome(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2013 8:28:10 AM
ZGMF_600_Guaiz posted...

Just taking Leon's campaign as an example, while chapter 3 becomes ridiculous (seriously? Huge catacombs built in underground caves in North America? Ancient zombies in said abandoned caves using magically lit dynamite sticks and lanterns, not to mention the ones wearing dynamite vests?).

Also, you are reaching the point where horror is completely ditched in favor fo repetitive boss fights.

The other campaigns basically ditch the horror, focusing on their corresponding trait, such as Chris' which is the one that works best with the action-focused controllers. Personally, for an action focused RE game I much prefer Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City controls than RE6's. RE:ORC's multiplayer is also much better than RE6's, in my personal opinion.

Furthermore, Capcom has officially admitted that the game was a failure. Fan opinions are all around, with many people saying that game felt bloated, and polar opposite opinions split about which is the best campaign:

-Another group of fans say that Chris' campaign was the best and Leon's the worst.

Fanbases of the different RE subtypes are more split than ever thanks to RE6, despite Capcom's intention of making RE6 a game for everyone that would instead reconcile the overall RE fanbase. Personally I felt very annoyed after playing the game, with its glaring lack of horror despite Capcom claiming that horror would still be a relevant element.

Ultimately, Capcom itself has admitted that RE6 isn't a survival horror game, instead labeling it as dramatic horror. But the overall lack of horror and excessive action makes me want to give it a label such as dramatic action/action drama instead, which is precisely what you get from Capcom's attempt at turning RE into a Hollywood-like action-focused game.

Well I finished leon's campaign and honestly I didn't find it that bad. Like I said this game isn't perfect. But with all the ill speaking of it and the campaigns people make it seem like it's the E.T. of this generation. It's not, yeah it's not a 9/10 or 10/10 game but at the moment I'd say for me at least it's sitting on a 7/10 or 8/10 score. And honestly 7/10 isn't that bad. It's just nowadays so many thats that are truly bad are rated 6 and 7 while everything else is rated 8s 9s and 10s that people feel it's an abomination if it's lower than an 8.

Also, are we really questioning the caves and dynamite? I mean while it's a bit of a stretch it's not completely jumping the shark. We know this isn't the t-virus and we know other forms of the virus are able to keep the host/infected intelligent enough to light a fuse (see resident evil 4).
I mean it's a bit of a stretch but not enough to completely ruin the campaign.

And besides, at this this game tries to do a bit of horror/creepy at the start of leon's campaign. There hasn't been an inch of horror attempted in a resident evil game since resident evil 0. 4 was the start of the series going action horror and I can't remember a single scare in 4.

Again, with the last resident evil game to attempt horror being 0, you can't really expect resident evil to actually be horror so why fault it for not having much/any.

Note: This isn't counting REmake as it's technically resident evil 1.

Again this is personal opinion. But this game definitely isn't the ****storm everyone makes it seem.

Side Note: .....people actually liked stuff in operation raccoon city. That game was absolutely horrible *shudder*......actually I guess I need to make a correction. The last time horror was done in a resident evil game was operation raccoon city.....but it was unintentional. The horror in that game was that it was actually made.
#6Coryo61827Posted 9/1/2013 2:40:14 PM
Quote:ZGMF_600_Guaiz posted...

Well I finished leon's campaign and honestly I didn't find it that bad. Like I said this game isn't perfect. But with all the ill speaking of it and the campaigns people make it seem like it's the E.T. of this generation. It's not, yeah it's not a 9/10 or 10/10 game but at the moment I'd say for me at least it's sitting on a 7/10 or 8/10 score. And honestly 7/10 isn't that bad. It's just nowadays so many thats that are truly bad are rated 6 and 7 while everything else is rated 8s 9s and 10s that people feel it's an abomination if it's lower than an 8.

Also, are we really questioning the caves and dynamite? I mean while it's a bit of a stretch it's not completely jumping the shark. We know this isn't the t-virus and we know other forms of the virus are able to keep the host/infected intelligent enough to light a fuse (see resident evil 4).
I mean it's a bit of a stretch but not enough to completely ruin the campaign.

And besides, at this this game tries to do a bit of horror/creepy at the start of leon's campaign. There hasn't been an inch of horror attempted in a resident evil game since resident evil 0. 4 was the start of the series going action horror and I can't remember a single scare in 4.

Side Note: .....people actually liked stuff in operation raccoon city. That game was absolutely horrible *shudder*......actually I guess I need to make a correction. The last time horror was done in a resident evil game was operation raccoon city.....but it was unintentional. The horror in that game was that it was actually made.

@kickthegnome

Lol, your comments at the end about operation raccoon city is exactly how I felt about resident evil 6. Granted, operation raccoon city was even worse than 6 but that's not saying much. Both were absolutely horrible. It was just a bad year for resident evil. I doubt capon can save the series at this point, though I do hope I'm wrong.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11
#7kalibre16Posted 9/1/2013 6:33:13 PM
Don't stress it too much TC those who hated the game will hate it regardless of what redeeming qualities it has and while all of us know its not perfect (As almost no game is, especially this gen) the game did enough things right to keep I and many others hooked on it and not just abandon it within a week (RE5)

Campaign Wise I'd Say Chris's is best suited for the controls but NOT necessarily the best or the most accessible for first timers, Although that Final boss JUST WOW easily my favorite and most hated at the same time lol

Leon's is good the first time through but because a lot of it is scripted it can get tough to swallow on subsequent playthroughs (To put things mildly I actually completed CH1 in its entirety on all difficulties before they added the choose your section patch) ALL THAT WALKING lol

Jake's is my personal favorite just because it mixes things up at every turn resulting in a nice balance that never gets too repetitive plus Sherry and Jake make for the best duo

Ada's is short but sweet (no complaints here other than the lack of more puzzles, of course given the situations I really don't see where they'd have her fetching a Red gem)

Mercs of course as many will tell you is the meat of the game and believe me that mode alone can easily eat hundreds of hours
---
---
"A good essay is like a mini skirt its long enough to cover all the important stuff but still short enough to keep you interested"---
#8UncleWeskerPosted 9/2/2013 7:18:09 AM(edited)
This game was HORRIBLE the week it was released, which was when I originally played it. I started going through it again recently and some patches have come out since then that have made it a lot better. It's not a great game still by any means, but I can definitely see how someone could play it in its current state and enjoy it. It still has pretty bad level design and an overabundance of vehicle segments, along with many other issues.
---
"I hate you, UncleWesker. No, really. You are the biggest douche on this board. You should go hang yourself in your basement." ~ RT102
#9GME40Posted 9/2/2013 5:37:22 PM
I never thought Resident Evil was scary. It had a certain atmosphere at times but I don't understand all the hate for the "lack" of horror. People over-analyze too much. It's got an established story with good charas moving onto the world stage. You can't be stuck in a house or village all the time. Most importantly, it's entertaining so I'm glad you like it TC.
#10ArchiantagonistPosted 9/2/2013 11:54:23 PM
GME40 posted...
I never thought Resident Evil was scary. It had a certain atmosphere at times but I don't understand all the hate for the "lack" of horror. People over-analyze too much. It's got an established story with good charas moving onto the world stage. You can't be stuck in a house or village all the time. Most importantly, it's entertaining so I'm glad you like it TC.

+1
---
--------------------x_0--------------------