Should I just end the series at RE5?

#1GangrenousKhanPosted 9/18/2013 8:32:09 PM
When I pick games to play from videogame franchises, I try to pick the very best, while neglecting to play other games in the franchise because of a loss of quality that franchises seem to suffer after awhile. There have been exceptions to this of course (MGS).

I am fairly new to the Resident evil franchise. I downloaded and watched/played all of the Resident evil movies and the first 2 video games (RE1 and RE2) over the past week. My plan is to round the series off with RE 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. I am most likely not going to play 6, since, according to the general consensus, it is a complete mess, which contrasts with the other games because they got very good reviews. Not only that, but I heard that the primary story line started with RE1 ended in 5. So 6 sounds like it is some kind of addendum.

Without giving away any spoilers, can anyone tell me if I will be able to get a full quality story with RE 5 and call it a day?
---
"He raged at the world, at his family, at his life. But mostly he just raged." - Raging Goblin flavor text, Magic the Gathering Card
#2Syn_VengeancePosted 9/18/2013 9:09:45 PM
play 6 and judge for yourself is all im gonna say
---
This is war, Survival is your responsibility.
#3CPU-ZPosted 9/18/2013 11:13:55 PM
Pretty much. The main story was wrapped up in RE5. If you're in it for the story, then I recommend doing RE5 and completely skip RE6.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/PsychicAuraMaster
Visit my channel for all Mercs 3D related info. I'll be updating constantly.
#4ArchiantagonistPosted 9/19/2013 4:13:37 AM
Syn_Vengeance posted...
play 6 and judge for yourself is all im gonna say

---
--------------------x_0--------------------
#5mike212022Posted 9/19/2013 6:46:23 AM
You should play Remake on GC or Wii if you can, it's great!

Play in this order:

1.Remake
2.RE 2
3.RE 3
4. RE: Code Veronica
5. RE 4
6. RE 5
7. RE 6

Don't forget Code veronica its awesome.
#6siberian142Posted 9/19/2013 7:17:23 AM
I wouldn't listen to reviews that rate it really low, it is a decent game that deserves an average score around the 6.5-7 range. The usual annoyances of the newer Resident Evil games, like vehicle sections, are unfortunately made more apparent due to the length of the game, but the campaigns were entertaining enough for me.

5 basically concludes Chris, Jill's and Wesker's story. 4 continues the story of Leon and Ada from Resident Evil 2 and this continues into 6. Chris has minimal attachment to what's going on in 6 compared to Leon and Jake (Leon has Ada, Jake has story importance).
#7Keroro_2350Posted 9/19/2013 8:27:43 AM
If you want to enjoy a better way,you should play in this order :

RE0
Remake( both Jill and Chris)
RE3 until Jill got unconscious
RE2(Claire first then Leon)
RE3 to continue Jill story
RECode Veronica
RE4
RER
RE5(Lost in Nightmare)
RE5
RE5(Desperate Escape)
RE6

This way you get to experience how the timeline flows in Resident Evil series and probably better understanding.

Also I agree with the post above me, it wasn't a really bad game so I don't think skipping it is a good idea.
#8siberian142Posted 9/19/2013 8:53:37 AM
Include Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles in there, too. While these games are inaccurate about covering the events from 0, 1, 2, and 3, there are a few canon parts in there, like Wesker's actions during the first game, Ada's escape from Raccoon City, Chris and Jill taking down Umbrella's last stronghold and Leon and Krauser working together on a mission.

Don't worry about Operation Raccoon City, it is not canon.

Resident Evil 0
Beginnings (Umbrella Chronicles)
Resident Evil 1
Rebirth (Umbrella Chronicles)
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Death's Door (Umbrella Chronicles)
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Operation Javier plus the bonus chapters told from Krauser's point of view
Umbrella's End (Umbrella Chronicles)
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil: Revelations
Resident Evil 5 Lost in Nightmares
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil 5 Desperate Escape
Resident Evil 6
#9Dark__ThronePosted 9/19/2013 9:24:42 AM
RE6 is pretty bad. There is no real reason to play RE6 unless you just want to be informed.

I've gone into detail countless times as to why I think this game sucks but I really don't want to explain again.

I recommend playing RE1, RE2 and RE3 on the PS1. Then RE0, REmake and Code Veronica on the gamecube. Try playing RE4 on the Wii or the HD port on the PS3 isn't too bad. The Umbrella Chronicles games on the Wii are very fun and and have some brand new scenarios that are relevant to the RE story. Don't forgot to play Revelations as well.

Also make sure to play RE5 with a friend because the AI is a total moron.

Haven't actually played the Survivor or Outbreak games.
#10ZGMF_600_GuaizPosted 9/19/2013 10:40:12 AM
I should point out a couple of important facts:

-Despite carrying a number, Resident Evil 3: Last Escape/Nemesis is just sidestory and not the actual sequel to Resident Evil 2. Capcom confirmed in an interview that Code Veronica is the proper sequel to Resident Evil 2:

http://www.ign.com/articles/1998/10/06/three-words-resident-evil-official

Supposedly, the reason Last Escape got the number 3 was because Sony wanted a RE trilogy on the PSOne. Supposedly, Capcom also simply wanted to keep the number scheme for current generation games (PSOne) and use something different for next gen RE games (Dreamcast).

Either way, the point is that Code Veronica is the proper sequel to RE2 and RE3 is just a side story with little relevance to the overall plot other than explaining how Jill got outside of the city. Don't get me wrong, it is a good game, but story wise, it doesn't add much to the overall story (the most relevant part is Jill getting infected and cured) and many of its elements are completely abandoned afterwards in the main plot (Nemesis and the U.B.C.S.).

At this point I would usually say to consider RE3 to be like Revelations, but it just so happens that Revelations might be in a similar situation:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-24-resident-evil-revelations-should-have-number-in-title-producer

Basically, the producer of Revelations wanted for the game to be Resident Evil 6, but the higher ups decided otherwise. Some of the causes were of course the fact that it was a game for a portable console and the fact that the story would take place before the previous main game RE5. And it's undeniable that Capcom wanted the next main RE title to be more similar to RE5.

Ultimately this led to the game being treated more as a sidestory instead of a main title, but the original intention was for Revelations to become RE6.

Taking those into consideration, from my personal POV the main series should be considered:

RE0
REmake
RE2
RE: Code Veronica
RE4
RE: Revelations
RE5

For me at least, RE3 and RE6 are optional and not an indispensable part of the series, and comments from Capcom's own staff do gives credit to this.