Thank ReMake Sales and Importantly the Gamecube for the More Action based RE4

#21SSJ_JinPosted 9/27/2013 1:13:42 PM
Btw, here's Resident Evil 4 part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ9YR4mNIK8

I hate ghost horror stuff. Like in movies, I just can't watch them. Too boring. I prefer the serial killer stuff, or zombie stuff. That said, I did enjoy Silent Hill 1. I guess I'll try this one out....maybe.

Also watching this made me realize that one of the reasons horror games give you so much ammo now is because people can't aim worth anything. They'd get mad and say the game is too hard and wouldn't play it.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KDXVEOqj8
http://antir.site90.net/
#22sbn4Posted 9/27/2013 1:40:10 PM
I don't care about the sales aspect of it, but I do agree the series has become more action oriented as early as RE3. Hell, even in RE2 there is plenty of ammo to waste nearly every enemy. If you don't think so, I either think you didn't find the ammo, or you are just bad.

RE3 is definitely more focused to being action oriented. Character running speed was faster. There were dodges, ammo could be found and produced (which exponentially increased the amount of ammo), enemy count was a bit higher, taking down Nemesis (which is not as hard as it seems) yielded more powerful weapons, quick turns were introduced, etc.

RECVX toned it down a little, but typical teenagers being ridiculously resourceful (on top of diving out of two story windows and spouting one liners), dual wielding, automatic weapons, and a knife that would make John Rambo proud all leads me to believe the games were leaning towards action. But that's just me.
---
"No man should fight any war but his own."
#23SSJ_JinPosted 9/27/2013 1:54:08 PM
sbn4 posted...
I don't care about the sales aspect of it, but I do agree the series has become more action oriented as early as RE3. Hell, even in RE2 there is plenty of ammo to waste nearly every enemy. If you don't think so, I either think you didn't find the ammo, or you are just bad.

RE3 is definitely more focused to being action oriented. Character running speed was faster. There were dodges, ammo could be found and produced (which exponentially increased the amount of ammo), enemy count was a bit higher, taking down Nemesis (which is not as hard as it seems) yielded more powerful weapons, quick turns were introduced, etc.

RECVX toned it down a little, but typical teenagers being ridiculously resourceful (on top of diving out of two story windows and spouting one liners), dual wielding, automatic weapons, and a knife that would make John Rambo proud all leads me to believe the games were leaning towards action. But that's just me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j38UBFvgUI

Since you brought it up. I can beat, at least, Leon Scenario A on Normal without using any weapon at all, (except for bosses of course). Still got an A rank too. So I'm pretty darn good at 2 I'd say. I haven't cared to try Claire's scenarios, but I was planning on trying Leon's B eventually. Can't say how I'd do since I never tried to run by Mr. X, thus I don't any tricks.

That said, how does enough ammo = action? In RE1 Directors Cut you could do the double ammo on Advance. So does that mean the game is action now? No. And even with the ammo, you act as if everyone had no trouble beating RE2.

Wow at you noticing character speed in RE3, (don't mean that bad) but I still don't see how that's more action. Giving you a dodge move just gives you something extra to defend yourself against. Still not action. Quick turns, seriously? So when MGS2 gave Snake the ability to roll, did the game become less stealth orientated? Is the 3DS version of MGS3 less stealth and more action because now Big Boss can crouch walk? C'mon. Tekken allows you to customize now. Does that mean Tekken is turning into the Sims now?

This is honestly a ridiculous argument just for the sake of defending the new RE. Why would Code Veronica "tone it down" as you said if they were going in that direction? Why step backwards then? Why didn't Outbreak or RE0 have all this "action" stuff? Why was the original RE4 scrapped and turned into DMC? It was supposed to be action right?

Just stop. RE4 began the action stuff. Trying to say RE2 started it is just laughable.
---
#24Mr_Big_BossPosted 9/27/2013 3:03:19 PM
RE3 was made as a side project, Code: Veronica was designed as the sequel to RE2. If it wasn't for Sony's hissy fits, Veronica would be labeled as RE3. So no, they were not gearing the series toward action until the RE4 REboot.
---
Seriously, Who in the hell is "Draven?" (Sounds like a draggy crow.) - David Hayter
the end of one nightmare, prelude to the another...
#25sbn4Posted 9/27/2013 4:45:21 PM
Wow at you noticing character speed in RE3, (don't mean that bad) but I still don't see how that's more action. Giving you a dodge move just gives you something extra to defend yourself against. Still not action. Quick turns, seriously? So when MGS2 gave Snake the ability to roll, did the game become less stealth orientated? Is the 3DS version of MGS3 less stealth and more action because now Big Boss can crouch walk? C'mon. Tekken allows you to customize now. Does that mean Tekken is turning into the Sims now?

Quit being ridiculous. You completely avoided where I said the game lets you MAKE ammo on top of giving you a ton of it. Also add increased enemy count and more aggressive enemy AI (which I forgot to add). At one point I was able to run around with the shotgun as my primary weapon for most of the game and blast everything that came at me. To me, that is more action oriented. The controls being more tightly focused and giving the character more options in combat made it feel action oriented to me.

This is honestly a ridiculous argument just for the sake of defending the new RE. Why would Code Veronica "tone it down" as you said if they were going in that direction? Why step backwards then? Why didn't Outbreak or RE0 have all this "action" stuff? Why was the original RE4 scrapped and turned into DMC? It was supposed to be action right?

I said CVX toned it down a little. It's still action oriented. CVX was a step back in a few regards. It removed manually climbing stairs and dodging. Its atmosphere was not as convincing either. But the fact that CVX had its characters doing ridiculous stunts, wielding dual machine pistols/automatics, giving you plenty of ammo to shoot everything, etc, made it action oriented for me. It has a lot of the trappings you'd see in an action movie. Hell, Chris climbing a mountain without any gear, going halfway around the world in an F22 to save a family member, and then barely escaping the clutches of his nemesis (in a fist fight mind you) while the base is exploding screams action to me. Wesker ran up a friggin' wall to punch a woman. Some of the other games used these theme, but I found them very outlandish in RECVX.

At the end of the day, I don't care if you don't agree. To me, RE3 was the game that started the trend in a subtle manner. And since I don't care for RE4 anymore, I am not exactly defending it either.
---
#26SSJ_JinPosted 9/27/2013 9:08:14 PM
edward18 says

Dude, if the guy who made the game and says its one of his favorites say it was a commerical failure, it was a commerical failure no matter what it sold.

...how the **** does that logic work? One person can't just decide what is and isn't a commercial failure, no matter if he made it or not.

Clearly its numbers was not enough in his and Capcom's mind.

It never would be in Capcom's and I personally don't give a damn what Shinji has to say after the crap he pulled with 4.

We don't know where this series would be if the ReMake (and Zero by association) was on the Ps2. Maybe it would have died off, maybe it would have thrived again, we don't know and that's the scary thing about it. Would we have gotten games like Re4-Re6 in the series, who knows? Maybe, maybe not?

I'd have preferred it died off myself.
---
#27SSJ_JinPosted 9/27/2013 9:16:47 PM
sbn4 posted...
Quit being ridiculous. You completely avoided where I said the game lets you MAKE ammo on top of giving you a ton of it. Also add increased enemy count and more aggressive enemy AI (which I forgot to add). At one point I was able to run around with the shotgun as my primary weapon for most of the game and blast everything that came at me. To me, that is more action oriented. The controls being more tightly focused and giving the character more options in combat made it feel action oriented to me.

Just because you played on easy mode doesn't mean the game is more action oriented. For that matter you can run around with the shotgun in all the RE games. Except Code Veronica. Zombie comes, aim up, one shot kill cause their head blows up. So much action! Just because you can make ammo doesn't automatically mean action. You can make healing items too. Even in RE1. Does that mean it's action? You're the one who needs to stop being ridiculous.

I said CVX toned it down a little. It's still action oriented. CVX was a step back in a few regards. It removed manually climbing stairs and dodging. Its atmosphere was not as convincing either. But the fact that CVX had its characters doing ridiculous stunts, wielding dual machine pistols/automatics, giving you plenty of ammo to shoot everything, etc, made it action oriented for me. It has a lot of the trappings you'd see in an action movie. Hell, Chris climbing a mountain without any gear, going halfway around the world in an F22 to save a family member, and then barely escaping the clutches of his nemesis (in a fist fight mind you) while the base is exploding screams action to me. Wesker ran up a friggin' wall to punch a woman. Some of the other games used these theme, but I found them very outlandish in RECVX.

>Manually climbing stairs = action game
>Being able to dodge = action game
>Dual wield = action game
>Ammo = action game
>Cutscenes = action game
>http://i.imgur.com/eatwpMN.gif

At the end of the day, I don't care if you don't agree. To me, RE3 was the game that started the trend in a subtle manner. And since I don't care for RE4 anymore, I am not exactly defending it either.

I said you're defending the modern REs. Not just RE4. And you are. GFAQs is notorious for hilarious theories and arguments by users. Ultimecia = Rinoa, Sam Fisher's original voice actor stopped because he didn't like where the series was going....now easily top 3 most hilarious arguments...RE2/3 were action games.

http://i.imgur.com/QrzHR.gif
---
#28sbn4Posted 9/27/2013 9:42:42 PM
Just because you played on easy mode doesn't mean the game is more action oriented. For that matter you can run around with the shotgun in all the RE games. Except Code Veronica. Zombie comes, aim up, one shot kill cause their head blows up. So much action! Just because you can make ammo doesn't automatically mean action. You can make healing items too. Even in RE1. Does that mean it's action? You're the one who needs to stop being ridiculous.

Try again. I've beaten every RE game on the hardest difficult with great success. And being able to make ammo and use it on every enemy in sight makes the game action to me. Tighter controls in combat that give you better precision in fights makes the game action oriented. Having the namesake enemy of the game being a bullet soaking tank that carries around a rocket launcher and charges at you makes it action to me. Whether or not you feel the same way is not my concern. If you don't feel that way, that's fine. Don't know why you are arguing my feelings on the subject like it matters.

>Manually climbing stairs = action game
>Being able to dodge = action game
>Dual wield = action game
>Ammo = action game
>Cutscenes = action game

Yes, I'm glad you understand my point now.

I said you're defending the modern REs. Not just RE4. And you are. GFAQs is notorious for hilarious theories and arguments by users. Ultimecia = Rinoa, Sam Fisher's original voice actor stopped because he didn't like where the series was going....now easily top 3 most hilarious arguments...RE2/3 were action games.

Nowhere did I give my stance on the modern RE games nor did I allude to even liking them. You are assuming. I'm also not theorizing anything. I personally felt that RE3 and CVX was more action oriented than they are given credit for. I've given my reasons why, so I'm no sure why you can't simply agree to disagree instead of posting asinine gifs. And Michael Ironside did stop being the voice of Sam Fisher for that very reason. Or at least that's what he claims in an interview.
---
#29TheSkinniMini1(Topic Creator)Posted 9/28/2013 12:42:09 AM
SSJ_Jin posted...
edward18 says

Dude, if the guy who made the game and says its one of his favorites say it was a commerical failure, it was a commerical failure no matter what it sold.

...how the **** does that logic work? One person can't just decide what is and isn't a commercial failure, no matter if he made it or not.

Clearly its numbers was not enough in his and Capcom's mind.

It never would be in Capcom's and I personally don't give a damn what Shinji has to say after the crap he pulled with 4.

We don't know where this series would be if the ReMake (and Zero by association) was on the Ps2. Maybe it would have died off, maybe it would have thrived again, we don't know and that's the scary thing about it. Would we have gotten games like Re4-Re6 in the series, who knows? Maybe, maybe not?

I'd have preferred it died off myself.

What is going on with this post? The bold is what I wrote. Are the responses SSJ Jin's or Edward18? Anyway I have responses.
1. That logic makes sense bc I said so.
Nah I'm joking, but maybe he should have said it was an internal failure, but it still doesn't change the fact that he saw the game as a failure. Sorry, but im inclined to believe him. Dude knew how much the game cost to make and knows the profit or lack of they made. Maybe the profit they got from the game was next to nothing, proving not to be completely worth it so maybe that's what he meant when he said the game was a commerical failure. He would know.

2. Unfortunately what Capcom thinks does matter a great deal. They didn't like the numbers so they wanted a change and got one.

3. I don't know about it dying, but it would have been nice for Capcom to try to make the Survival Horror aspect better than before. Taking the action route was a cowardice choice in terms of gameplay (not in sales action fans, they hit a goldmine there).
---
---
If I don't agree with you then I'm wrong- that gamer logic (smh). Makes me ashsmed to be connected to such an community at times.
#30Syn_VengeancePosted 9/28/2013 5:59:41 AM
Well I suppose I will join in the fun of this topic by adding my opinion on why I agree RE3 was the start of a more action focus. Especially with people complaining about explosions, tons of ammo, gun weilding enemies and so on in the modern games.

Quick turn and dodging
Nemesis weilding a rocket launcher

explosions everywhere:

Intro cutscene, Jill escaping the apartments, the gas station, the UBCS guy who blows himself up trying to kill nicholai, mikhail trying to kill nemesis. Nemesis blowing up a chopper, you blowing up nicholias chopper. jill basically blowing up the restaurant.

Plenty of guns and ammo:

3 different handguns, 2 different shotguns, assault rifle, magnum, grenade launcher, gatling gun, rocket launcher.

The ability to make ammo on top of the game having enough to beat it twice. Nemesis dropping guns/ammo and a case with 3 first aid sprays..

A villian who tries to kill you with explosives and other firearms, then shoots at you with a helicopter.

Vehicles crashing and getting blown up: trolley and 2 helicopters.

Jill using her bare hands to push nemesis off of how many things during those decision events?

The original Mercenaries mini game which enable you to unlock special weapons and infinite ammo for every gun in the main game.
---
Platinums: Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City, Resident Evil 6, Resident Evil Revelations.