Shinji Mikami discusses about RE's action focus due to RE REmake's poor sales.

#1UltimatesTruthPosted 9/28/2013 5:09:50 AM
Shinji Mikami, whose upcoming game The Evil Within returns the survival-horror genre to its roots, explained why his Resident Evil series gravitated toward action.

"Because of the reaction to the Resident Evil remake, I decided to work more action into Resident Evil 4," he told IGN. "Resident Evil 4 would have been a more scary, horror-focused game if the remake had sold well.”

That remake came out for Nintendo GameCube in 2002 and was followed by Resident Evil: Zero, Dead Aim, and two Outbreak titles. Then came RE 4 in 2005, which did incredibly well.

Mikami also admitted that the series' evolution — and the overall trend of survival-horror games now, like the Dead Space series — was a natural progression.

"I’ve been looking at the survival-horror genre for a long time," he said. "I don’t think it’s specifically because developers want to appeal to a wider audience. I think they just want to make their games more fun, and if they’re reaching more and more in that direction, they’re naturally going to go toward more action."

The Evil Within releases for current and next-gen consoles and PC in 2014.

http://www.gamezone.com/news/2013/09/26/shinji-mikami-attributes-resident-evil-s-action-focus-to-poor-sales

I've seen a couple of people claiming that Capcom "forced" Shinji Mikami into changing RE3.5 to RE4 and make it more of an action-packed game, well it looks like the changes were by his own well due to RE REmake's poor sales.
#2Mr_Big_BossPosted 9/28/2013 6:24:22 AM
So let me get this straight, he gets pissed by Sony asking for Nemesis to be labeled as RE3, so he pushes for Resident Evil to be an exclusive on the weakest console (Gamecube), then he makes RE4 action oriented because of poor sales from REmake.

Did I miss anything?
---
Seriously, Who in the hell is "Draven?" (Sounds like a draggy crow.) - David Hayter
the end of one nightmare, prelude to the another...
#3skermacPosted 9/28/2013 7:34:04 AM
Mr_Big_Boss posted...
So let me get this straight, he gets pissed by Sony asking for Nemesis to be labeled as RE3, so he pushes for Resident Evil to be an exclusive on the weakest console (Gamecube), then he makes RE4 action oriented because of poor sales from REmake.

Did I miss anything?

Makes total sense...... NOT!
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#4zenandiPosted 9/28/2013 11:15:41 PM
UltimatesTruth posted...
"I’ve been looking at the survival-horror genre for a long time," he said. "I don’t think it’s specifically because developers want to appeal to a wider audience. I think they just want to make their games more fun, and if they’re reaching more and more in that direction, they’re naturally going to go toward more action."

That is utter trash....

FYI, Dead Space 3 is a lot of c***. Fun? Is waves after waves of enemies that rush way too hard and you're pretty much forced to dispatch in exactly the same way fun? Jeezes...

Fatal Frame -- where the protagonists can barely run properly, somehow still tops it with far less all-out action.

So Mr what's-his-name can take that theory and stuff it.
#5StartersPosted 9/29/2013 5:42:08 AM
This is one of the reasons I don't have faith in shinji mikami.
---
Living is the moment worth dying for...
#6randyc80Posted 9/30/2013 1:39:19 AM
Mr_Big_Boss posted...

Did I miss anything?

Yes, you actually missed quite a lot. Mikami didn't push for Nintendo exclusivity because Sony wanted Nemesis to be called Resident Evil 3...he pushed for it because developing on the GameCube was so much better and more seamless than developing on PS2. The technology was better and it was a superior system (development wise, not looking at sales or popularity).

The fact that tons of people missed out on great games because they were so in love with one system is their own fault....unless they simply couldn't afford a second system. I had all three...PS2, GameCube, and Xbox so that I could play all the great console exclusives....and when games were multiplatform, I always got them for Xbox or GameCube because the quality was just plain better.
#7tombrady3to1Posted 9/30/2013 5:05:32 PM
Of course a gamecube exclusive would have poor sales. So lets just ditch what the series stands for and move in a different direction. What a dumb***.
#8GoldsicklePosted 9/30/2013 5:40:35 PM
UltimatesTruth posted...
I've seen a couple of people claiming that Capcom "forced" Shinji Mikami into changing RE3.5 to RE4 and make it more of an action-packed game, well it looks like the changes were by his own well due to RE REmake's poor sales.

This is common knowledge to anyone who's up-to-date with the latest info.

Even way before this article, it's already made clear that Shinji and the rest of the gang are tired of zombies and the old-school style.
This was pointed out in numerous interviews and even in The Making Of RE4.
---
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)
#9sadiq2010Posted 10/9/2013 5:12:35 PM
shinji mikami is the reason why dino crisis franchise, had died from 10 years ago, from 2003 until now 2013.

and no any news for dino crisis 4, what the hell was shinji mikami thinking.

SCREW SHINJI MIKAMI, AND HIS STUPID LAZY IDEAS.