IMO, Claire's character has been tarnished over the last few years.

#1TheSkinniMini1Posted 10/6/2013 9:23:12 PM
Claire Redfield is one the best female heroines that video games have to offer, or at least she use to be. The girl was a feminist's dream. Tough, reliable, not sexualized, relatable, and feminine at the same time. Back in the RE2 and Code Veronica days, one could say that Claire was the best female character in the series in terms of characterization, being relatable and rootable, and in terms of her capability levels (despite being a little over dramatic for her character IMO).

However over the years, it seems the girl has taken a hit in all of the above. It seems like in every one of her appearances post Code Veronica, she has been sacrificed to in order to make other people look better. My first case, the cgi film, Degeneration.

2008's Degeneration was the first time we had seen Claire ever since Code Veronica back in 2000. That's eight years she was gone and she is a fan favorite. IMO in this movie, she has declined in nearly every way. SO we catch up with Claire and find out what she has been up to since 1998. Is she doing something active in fighting BOWs or acting as an agent like Leon, no, she is now playing the role of a pacifist rescuer. i know Claire is a nice person but this job IMO doesn't fit her character completely (and yet Sherry's-yes Sherry, is an active government agent? What?). Not to mention, she is arguably a side character in the film, not even the main female lead. New girl Angela is treated better and is partnered up with Leon and he is definitely the main male lead of the movie. Then somehow manage to make Claire look incompetent in the film, despite showing that the girl can still fight in the scene with her saving Rani. They even have her put Leon on a pedestal at one point. Remember the line of "I know what Leon would do." Since when is Leon a role model for anyone on how to handle a situation, let alone one for Claire? This is the same girl that outran a helicopter shooting at her, survived the crazy Ashford Twins, and saved Steve's butt on more than one occasion, yet she needs to look up to Leon for what to do. It was like Claire was in the film to be a mother figure to Rani only. She was barely involved in any of the action (they only put that one scene in to shut people up) and was sidelined fro most of the film. This is so different from Claire's role in RE2. Yes she played a motherly role to Sherry, but it didn't stop her from being involved in the action. It's like Capcom wanted to play up Leon's badassness thanks to the extra popularity re4 brought him, and downplayed Claire's to do it. Next case, Darkside Chronicles.
---
---
If I don't agree with you then I'm wrong- that gamer logic (smh). Makes me ashsmed to be connected to such an community at times.
#2TheSkinniMini1(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 9:46:40 PM
2009's Darkside Chronicles was the first game appearance Claire had made since Code Veronica. Okay Claire is playable again, yay, but no, not yay. It's obvious that the game developers cared more about Leon than Claire or any other character in the game. In fact I would dare say that they tried to make Leon seem more important than he actually is. He is the one narrating the game (why, he wasn't even in Code Veronica), gets the new chapter thus appearing the most, and his characterization does not take a hit (at least not in this game). Claire in the re2 chapter however is whiner than ever and Claire has never been whiny. They were obviously doing this so that Leon would stand out more with the post re4 fans. Then Leon's relationship with Sherry is up played, and when it comes time to kill Mr. X, Claire is too busy hanging on to something, looking as Mr. X falls.

Then in the same chapter when Ada appears, Claire is made to look like some jealous insecure ex girlfriend who feels she does not compare to the fabulous Ada. Meanwhile Ada could care less about Claire and is only there for Leon and his character. Not to mention during the Mr. X fight, it is Ada who is helping Leon handle him and gets her badass moment with her laser lipstick. I would say Claire definitely took a hit in the character department for both Leon and Ada in this chapter of the game. She is whinier, more judgmental, very insecure, and with the exception of the opening scene with the knife, she is kind of incompetent compared to her earlier self. Although all of these make her even more human than most of the cast in the game, it just didn't seem like the same old Claire to me.

They there's the problem with her being sexualized. Claire before this game was never seen as a sex object only, yet in the Code Veronica section, they devote an entire scene to having her butt all up in the camera. It's like her face didn't even matter at that time. Then the re-do of her RE2 outfit sealed the deal. In Re2 and Code Veronica arguably, Claire was a cute design, yet in this game her re2 outfit, now has her midriff showing and her body is much curvier and her butt is much bigger than before. It's like they think she has to be a sex symbol now, yet she wasn't before and it worked her for, it's what helped her stand out.

Yes, even her Mercs 3D appearance can sort of count. Due to being female, she is one of the weakest characters in the game. This is despite being one of two female characters in Mercs history to actually throw a punch (ironically Rebecca is the first). But in the game, she is simply a weaker Chris all because she is female and her gender was never a problem for her character before.

Then RE6 comes and she's kind of tarnished there. It's odd that with three of the characters having an immediate connection to her, she doesn't appear in the game or even makes a cameo. Yes she is spoken of in game and in files, but it's like Capcom didn't consider her good enough to actually appear in the game. This was the perfect time to see Claire, yet we don't even get an explanation of where is she at the time or why she wasn't out looking for her missing brother, you know the missing brother that was her reason to be in RE2 and Code Veronica. Claire has always been big on family, yet when her brother is missing for months, she isn't looking for him.

Honestly, I am kind of afraid to see Claire again at this point. It won't be fun to see how they could possibly ruin this character more than they already have. It's like Capcom just doesn't care for her anymore. She is considered part of the "main four", but I don't think she is anymore. Ada, who was originally a side character compared to Claire, has since assumed her role in that group. Ada has made more appearances than Claire and is more important storywise. Where is the respect for a once great female lead Capcom?
---
---
If I don't agree with you then I'm wrong- that gamer logic (smh). Makes me ashsmed to be connected to such an community at times.
#3IlDankoPosted 10/6/2013 11:43:10 PM
Well what did you expected? They have ruined every RE2 character personalities in the new games

I'm actually happy Claire hasn't appeared yet in a canon game, i mean after they turned Leon in Douchey McDouchebag and Ada into an enigmatic spider-woman i was afraid of what would they do to Claire and Sherry... At the end they didn't f***** up Sherry so much, making her kind of likeable (although weird, seeing how she acts and then looking at her age)...

And Claire well i haven't seen degeneration completely to have a say about her in that movie (which someday i will finish to see without falling asleep) and the chronicles i don't really take them seriously since the Recaps aren't canon, and they were only made to explain some plot holes from RE4, like how umbrella was destroyed or how Leon and Krauser knew each other.

So I'm glad I still can see Claire like the badass, likeable, redhead I played with in RE2 and CV
---
Shhhh... Quiet, you might piss somebody off
PSN: Dan21993
#4CPU-ZPosted 10/7/2013 12:46:25 AM
Just wow. You know I've respected your opinion before, but I cannot respect this at all after thoroughly reading this.

Claire was trained by Chris in the most basic military training one can receive. She is literally a civilian with nothing more than a tad more know how in handling weapons or fighting. She did fine in RE2, but her lack of training appeared in CV several times.

There's the Bandersnatch part where it nearly breaks her neck, Alfred nearly lodges a bullet into her brain, Umbrella could have flat out executed her after capturing her, she needed the cargo hatch to eject the Tyrant or die, Steve almost executing her as a creature, etc.

And I can definitely see why she joined TerraSave. She even said she isn't the fighter Leon and Chris are. She can hold her own when needed at times, but is prone to getting overwhelmed by her lack of training.

You know Darkside Chronicles is an extremely awful, non canon retelling of the stories involving previous games, right? There's no need to involve it. The only relevant parts of it are segments like Wesker's revival.

Claire was sexualized in CV. The original outfit looks extremely similar to the slight changes made for the Darkside Chronicles CV outfit. And this is a moot point. I could complain that my homie, Chris, was being sexualized for women with his sailor or samurai outfits in Revs and RE6.

Now you're just complaining to complain. Claire is the worst character because her moveset sucks major ass compared to other characters. Her only good move for time build up is stomp. It isn't about being weak or being female. Her moves just have major flaws that screw her over in 3D. Rebecca and Jill have good melees for time build up, but they're female and weak apparently to your claims. It's because her moves are slow for the damage they put out, lack good hitboxes to multi kill, and have a general lack of ultility.

Claire's story ended after she found Chris. That's why her relevancy is nil to Crapcom. There is no such thing as "the main four". It's a fan made term used to describe the first four characters you control in RE1 and RE2. Somehow it spread and became a common term that is incorrect. And the reason Ada appears is because she actually has more relevancy to the overall story despite how stupid the reasons are.

Do note none of this is meant to be offensive if it seems as such. These posts really reek of extreme bias, misinformation, and irrational complaining that Claire is being mistreated simply because she's female.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/PsychicAuraMaster
Visit my channel for all Mercs 3D related info. I'll be updating constantly.
#5Hewie3Posted 10/7/2013 6:02:50 AM
I'm not going to argue between your posts but the one thing I see so many people mention is that Claire's story is over once she found Chris.

No. Capcom can decide wherever they want her story to go.

Leon's story could have ended just as he escaped Raccoon City. I mean the original endings of 2 where more focused with Claire & Chris & Leon just being all "yep, I survived."

Same with Jill & Chris, after Raccoon city, they could have been done but Capcom decide to flesh the characters out by creating the BSAA, giving them more authority & purpose to stick around.

The EXACT thing can happen with Claire or anyone. All these characters have had stories that have ended, but they got new ones. So why is Claire the one character who is apparently only allowed to have one purpose according to so many fans?
---
PSN ID: LeonHart32
#6SSJ_JinPosted 10/7/2013 7:48:46 AM
TheSkinniMini1 posted...
They even have her put Leon on a pedestal at one point. Remember the line of "I know what Leon would do." Since when is Leon a role model for anyone on how to handle a situation, let alone one for Claire?

Since he saved her life in RE2 and Code Veronica, also becoming a top agent in the government. That's when.

TheSkinniMini1 posted...
Then in the same chapter when Ada appears, Claire is made to look like some jealous insecure ex girlfriend who feels she does not compare to the fabulous Ada.

Wow, not true. Not only did Claire own Leon by addressing his sudden attraction to Ada, that was easily one of the best moments. That's the beauty of Leon and Claire's relationship. There's just sexual tension between them. I especially loved how Degeneration added to it, like Claire winking at Leon and Leon goes deep in thought afterwards, shaking it off. Then the whole "went did you go scuba diving?" part. It needs to be Leon and Claire, not Leon and Ada. I've always felt this way.

Then RE6 comes and she's kind of tarnished there. It's odd that with three of the characters having an immediate connection to her, she doesn't appear in the game or even makes a cameo. Yes she is spoken of in game and in files, but it's like Capcom didn't consider her good enough to actually appear in the game. This was the perfect time to see Claire, yet we don't even get an explanation of where is she at the time or why she wasn't out looking for her missing brother, you know the missing brother that was her reason to be in RE2 and Code Veronica. Claire has always been big on family, yet when her brother is missing for months, she isn't looking for him.

You can just blame RE6 here, really. Notice when Jake and Sherry get captured for 6 months? The game treats it as if they were captured for a day. Literally. Leon sees Sherry and it's just, "oh I heard you became an agent," and not, "Sherry where have you been!?" or Sherry stating she was captured that long. Plus Jake's just like, "WELL...been here for 6 months. Today is the day I'm escaping. Just because."

RE5 is also guilty of something like this. Instead of having Jill fight Wesker, she's replaced with Sheva. Why?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KDXVEOqj8
http://antir.site90.net/
#7CPU-ZPosted 10/7/2013 7:59:20 AM
Hewie3 posted...
I'm not going to argue between your posts but the one thing I see so many people mention is that Claire's story is over once she found Chris.

No. Capcom can decide wherever they want her story to go.

Leon's story could have ended just as he escaped Raccoon City. I mean the original endings of 2 where more focused with Claire & Chris & Leon just being all "yep, I survived."

Same with Jill & Chris, after Raccoon city, they could have been done but Capcom decide to flesh the characters out by creating the BSAA, giving them more authority & purpose to stick around.

The EXACT thing can happen with Claire or anyone. All these characters have had stories that have ended, but they got new ones. So why is Claire the one character who is apparently only allowed to have one purpose according to so many fans?

What you bring up is a big "if". Claire's original intention for her story arc was simply to find Chris after he fell off the radar. She doesn't fight B.O.W.s like Leon or Chris do. She became a human rights activist with TerraSave.

If you recall the canon ending of RE2, Leon says they have to take out Umbrella. Sherry was left in Leon's care while Claire went to find Chris. Leon and Sherry were taken in by the U.S. government, and Leon became an agent to ensure Sherry's safety. That's something to go off to continue his story.

Chris and Jill had more to their story by bringing down Umbrella, then they continue their fight against B.O.W.s with the BSAA. They have plenty to go off of for their story.

Claire just doesn't have any of that. She doesn't have much to go off of, nor does she have any reason to fight B.O.W.s anymore. I said in another one of TC's topics before that I can only see her returning if she has to fight for her/someone else's life in a random BS outbreak. It has been showed Claire actively takes care of other TerraSave members. I wouldn't be surprised if all her work involved TerraSave because of her personality.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/PsychicAuraMaster
Visit my channel for all Mercs 3D related info. I'll be updating constantly.
#8sbn4Posted 10/7/2013 9:20:13 AM(edited)
Pretty much agree with everything CPUZ said word for word.

Wow, not true. Not only did Claire own Leon by addressing his sudden attraction to Ada, that was easily one of the best moments. That's the beauty of Leon and Claire's relationship. There's just sexual tension between them. I especially loved how Degeneration added to it, like Claire winking at Leon and Leon goes deep in thought afterwards, shaking it off. Then the whole "went did you go scuba diving?" part. It needs to be Leon and Claire, not Leon and Ada. I've always felt this way.

I never saw this. I see it more as a girl playfully giving you a hard time for liking another girl. I don't see any tension between them at least. Especially not in Degeneration where Leon made it seem like Robocop had more personality than he did.
---
"No man should fight any war but his own."
#9SSJ_JinPosted 10/7/2013 9:53:09 AM(edited)
sbn4 posted...
Pretty much agree with everything CPUZ said word for word.

I never saw this. I see it more as a girl playfully giving you a hard time for liking another girl. I don't see any tension between them at least. Especially not in Degeneration where Leon made it seem like Robocop had more personality than he did.

I did.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KDXVEOqj8
http://antir.site90.net/
#10Stardustgoldy33Posted 10/7/2013 2:31:54 PM
TheSkinniMini1 posted...
Claire Redfield is one the best female heroines that video games have to offer, or at least she use to be. The girl was a feminist's dream. Tough, reliable, not sexualized, relatable, and feminine at the same time. Back in the RE2 and Code Veronica days, one could say that Claire was the best female character in the series in terms of characterization, being relatable and rootable, and in terms of her capability levels (despite being a little over dramatic for her character IMO).

However over the years, it seems the girl has taken a hit in all of the above. It seems like in every one of her appearances post Code Veronica, she has been sacrificed to in order to make other people look better. My first case, the cgi film, Degeneration.

2008's Degeneration was the first time we had seen Claire ever since Code Veronica back in 2000. That's eight years she was gone and she is a fan favorite. IMO in this movie, she has declined in nearly every way. SO we catch up with Claire and find out what she has been up to since 1998. Is she doing something active in fighting BOWs or acting as an agent like Leon, no, she is now playing the role of a pacifist rescuer. i know Claire is a nice person but this job IMO doesn't fit her character completely (and yet Sherry's-yes Sherry, is an active government agent? What?). Not to mention, she is arguably a side character in the film, not even the main female lead. New girl Angela is treated better and is partnered up with Leon and he is definitely the main male lead of the movie. Then somehow manage to make Claire look incompetent in the film, despite showing that the girl can still fight in the scene with her saving Rani. They even have her put Leon on a pedestal at one point. Remember the line of "I know what Leon would do." Since when is Leon a role model for anyone on how to handle a situation, let alone one for Claire? This is the same girl that outran a helicopter shooting at her, survived the crazy Ashford Twins, and saved Steve's butt on more than one occasion, yet she needs to look up to Leon for what to do. It was like Claire was in the film to be a mother figure to Rani only. She was barely involved in any of the action (they only put that one scene in to shut people up) and was sidelined fro most of the film. This is so different from Claire's role in RE2. Yes she played a motherly role to Sherry, but it didn't stop her from being involved in the action. It's like Capcom wanted to play up Leon's badassness thanks to the extra popularity re4 brought him, and downplayed Claire's to do it. Next case, Darkside Chronicles.
---

On a positive note i remember the creators saying at a live stream how much fans wanted

Claire and Jill back in RE6. Dont worry Claires future looks great shes in RE7 for sure :)