Chris ending discussion (SPOILERS)

#21IlDankoPosted 10/20/2013 12:40:29 PM
siberian142 posted...
IlDanko posted.
Chris can't die in a game were none of the haracters closest to him appear. If he gets to die someday, it will be to give a major character development to either Claire or Jill (or both).

His death couldn't be wasted to give that development to a character that was just introduced in the series and that not everybody liked until they saw the ending in Chris' campaign

True, but they shouldn't have hinted towards Chris passing on the torch if they were just going to sacrifice Piers anyways. It made sense that Chris would want to give the position to the one person who had a clear head the entire time, the person who was not acting on hatred. It was more satisfying compared to Piers sacrificing himself so that Chris would go back to the status quo, especially when Chris acting selfish and ragey the entire game was the reason his squads kept dying on him.

Not really, his first squad in edonia died because the trap carla had set up, Chris' desire for revenge had nothing to do with it.

His second squad in Lianshiang never died (or perhaps they did in Leon's chapter 5) because he left them to treat the injured after the first encounter with a mutated j'avo, after that he continued only with Piers until they got cornered and Marco's team was sent to support them...

That was the squad who died, they were under Marco's orders not Chris' and they didn't died because of Chris' ragey attitude against Carla, they died while trying to rescue the soldier that was taken by the iluzija (or whatever that giant snake is called). It was a standby in Carla's persecution
---
Did I ever told you the definition of insanity?
PSN: Dan21993
#22siberian142Posted 10/20/2013 4:41:39 PM
IlDanko posted...
siberian142 posted...
IlDanko posted.
Chris can't die in a game were none of the haracters closest to him appear. If he gets to die someday, it will be to give a major character development to either Claire or Jill (or both).

His death couldn't be wasted to give that development to a character that was just introduced in the series and that not everybody liked until they saw the ending in Chris' campaign

True, but they shouldn't have hinted towards Chris passing on the torch if they were just going to sacrifice Piers anyways. It made sense that Chris would want to give the position to the one person who had a clear head the entire time, the person who was not acting on hatred. It was more satisfying compared to Piers sacrificing himself so that Chris would go back to the status quo, especially when Chris acting selfish and ragey the entire game was the reason his squads kept dying on him.

Not really, his first squad in edonia died because the trap carla had set up, Chris' desire for revenge had nothing to do with it.

His second squad in Lianshiang never died (or perhaps they did in Leon's chapter 5) because he left them to treat the injured after the first encounter with a mutated j'avo, after that he continued only with Piers until they got cornered and Marco's team was sent to support them...

That was the squad who died, they were under Marco's orders not Chris' and they didn't died because of Chris' ragey attitude against Carla, they died while trying to rescue the soldier that was taken by the iluzija (or whatever that giant snake is called). It was a standby in Carla's persecution

They basically merged with Chris' unit at that point. And Chris was being careless against the snake, which allowed it to sneak up on them and continually eat the squad members. Piers even calls him out for this, saying that some of the deaths could have been prevented if he wasn't blinded by hatred and vengeance.

I can't really blame him for Edonia, though. Everyone should have been keeping an eye on Carla.
#23sbn4Posted 10/20/2013 8:16:16 PM
How is anyone supposed to see an invisible snake?

I do agree his recklessness may have gotten some of his men in trouble. But I think they were screwed in that situation no matter what.
---
"No man should fight any war but his own."
#24IlDankoPosted 10/20/2013 9:02:52 PM
sbn4 posted...

Heat vision... But Chris' rage heated the entire environment making it impossible to spot the snake... Damned Chris screwed everything.

I do agree his recklessness may have gotten some of his men in trouble. But I think they were screwed in that situation no matter what.

He only got Marco in trouble, but well anybody can enter a room and not see the woman in blue sitting in the window... It was an honest mistake
---
Did I ever told you the definition of insanity?
PSN: Dan21993
#25siberian142Posted 10/20/2013 9:08:10 PM(edited)
sbn4 posted...

I just found it silly how they decided to take the fight to the snake. The snake is invisible, it stalks its prey, and its hide is incredibly resistant to gun fire, moving after it in a cramped building is only going to allow it to pick targets off. They went in without a battle plan because Chris was determined to kill the snake for killing the BSAA soldier at the beginning of the chapter, and it doesn't help that Chris was being a total jerk here, yelling at Piers and generally making the air tense.
#26sbn4Posted 10/21/2013 1:03:57 PM
To be fair, Chris did just recall a traumatic event that enraged him. I think most people wouldn't be thinking straight if they were in his shoes. I'm also pretty sure that they didn't know its skin was resistant to gunfire. If I remember right, it was able to take damage in the mouth, but when you get to the final area, that's when it becomes impervious to bullets.

And if you think about it, wouldn't an enclosed space be better? I mean a snake that big shouldn't have such amazing mobility in such confined quarters. I mean both Yawn fights where in open areas.
---
"No man should fight any war but his own."
#27siberian142Posted 10/21/2013 1:36:16 PM(edited)
sbn4 posted...
To be fair, Chris did just recall a traumatic event that enraged him. I think most people wouldn't be thinking straight if they were in his shoes. I'm also pretty sure that they didn't know its skin was resistant to gunfire. If I remember right, it was able to take damage in the mouth, but when you get to the final area, that's when it becomes impervious to bullets.

And if you think about it, wouldn't an enclosed space be better? I mean a snake that big shouldn't have such amazing mobility in such confined quarters. I mean both Yawn fights where in open areas.

Chris is the leader, though. His hatred for Ada was so deep that it started seeping into hating the snake for killing one of his men. He wasn't thinking clearly and it led into his men being slowly slaughtered.

I don't believe they knew its skin was resistant until a little bit into the building, but they were operating under minimal information. They knew it was stalking them, but they were still careless when fighting the snake, allowing it to strike multiple times. For example, the first idiot soldier who got eaten by straying away from the team and when the snake attacked when they were going down the wires.

The first battle against the snake was a good spot to fight it, but the hallways were not. The snake was hiding in the crevices and quickly snapping at the men before going back into the crevices.