Got back into this game finally (spoilers)

#1Plant42Posted 10/19/2013 11:42:28 PM
I beat Leon's game first, then Sherry's, now I'm playing as Ada. For a RE title I just cannot believe how mediocre this game is. I enjoyed RE5 but I wasn't a huge fan, but 6 makes it look like a masterpiece. There is literally nothing interesting about the storyline. It tries to get too big for its britches. I like when RE stories were simpler and didn't always take themselves seriously. And maybe I just suck but I find the controls and camera awful. I think maybe you move too fast or something. I always feel disoriented. At least in Ada's game anyway. Plus the original characters are terrible. Jake, Helena and Simmons as well as that cheap Nemesis knockoff. I didn't forget Piers I just can't comment on him yet.
#2ArchiantagonistPosted 10/19/2013 11:55:30 PM
I can understand everything, but this...

Plant42 posted...
And maybe I just suck but I find the controls and camera awful.

Really now?
---
--------------------x_0--------------------
#3Plant42(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2013 11:59:31 PM
Yeah. They are the worst in the series.
#4Keroro_2350Posted 10/20/2013 3:39:53 AM
In terms of gameplay, I prefer RE6 as I like to slide around and blast zombies/Javos head with their super cool and powerful melees. Though Resident Evil series has always been a slow pace,moving like tanks to avoid zombies but I actually prefer RE6 controls and gameplay than classic RE.

Of course this is just my opinion and there is no need to bash me up with classic and tank control FTW.

I also prefer classic Resident Evil but I don't much time to explore and find keys or solve puzzles.
#5yusikoPosted 10/20/2013 7:29:46 AM
the camara controls are weird and hard to get used to at first
thats my big complaint, other than that i enjoyed the game
the returning characters like leon and sherry are alright
but i do agree that helena and jake are rather meh, i dont hate either one i just dont really care for them
but i love piers. i liked him better than chris
---
Everybody loves yusiko. To some extent. Eventually that love turns to hate. Back to love and back to murderous intent. ~ yusketeer
#6icantseePosted 10/20/2013 7:57:21 AM
The controls in RE6 are not tight, especially for running and sprinting.

When you immediately try to sprint straight from a standing position, your character tends to veer to the left or right at first and you have to re-adjust the direction as you sprint.

Sprinting into walls or objects gives you a "push off" animation which I find irritating.

When you try to run left or right, you make a wide arc like running around a pillar. I usually have to adjust where I want to run by quickly aiming at my intended direction every now and then.

Also, if you simply want to change direction, tapping the joystick to the left, right, or back will make the character take two steps and swivel a little bit.

As far as shooting ......the re-coil from firing messes things up. Then there's the swaying dot (for those who use the crosshairs).

Plus, there's the cover system ...... which can force you into cover when you don't want to .... like an enemy is in front of you and you're next to a wall.

I do like the sliding and dodging mechanic though.
---
RE5, 3DS, RE6 Mercs fan
#7Syn_VengeancePosted 10/20/2013 11:00:35 AM
icantsee posted...
The controls in RE6 are not tight, especially for running and sprinting.

When you immediately try to sprint straight from a standing position, your character tends to veer to the left or right at first and you have to re-adjust the direction as you sprint.

Sprinting into walls or objects gives you a "push off" animation which I find irritating.

When you try to run left or right, you make a wide arc like running around a pillar. I usually have to adjust where I want to run by quickly aiming at my intended direction every now and then.

Also, if you simply want to change direction, tapping the joystick to the left, right, or back will make the character take two steps and swivel a little bit.

As far as shooting ......the re-coil from firing messes things up. Then there's the swaying dot (for those who use the crosshairs).

Plus, there's the cover system ...... which can force you into cover when you don't want to .... like an enemy is in front of you and you're next to a wall.

I do like the sliding and dodging mechanic though.

For running are you holding down X or pushing in the left stick? My character only does the big arc when trying to run left or right when using X. Running witu X makes you move with just the left stick since you other hand is holding X.

Try running by pushing in on the left stick like most shooter and turning with the right stick. Doing it this ways seems to work better for me.
---
Platinums: Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City, Resident Evil 6, Resident Evil Revelations.
#8sbn4Posted 10/20/2013 11:09:43 AM
The camera and controls take a bit to get used to. To be honest, this is easily the best playing RE game by a long shot. It becomes really noticeable in the DLC modes and Mercenaries. Its just that the campaign is so disjointed and jarring that it doesn't feel right.

I honestly think the only campaigns that were decent at best were Chris and Leon's. Chris' was the best IMO, but it was still really mediocre. I like Leon's because I like playing as Helena and the first two chapters were decent.

I found Jake and Ada's campaigns to be some of the most poorly designed things I've ever played.
---
"No man should fight any war but his own."
#9Plant42(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 11:28:31 AM(edited)
I've yet to use the cover system because I find it far too awkward to be useful. Though I'm guessing from the demo that I'll be needing it if I ever play Chris' scenario. I dread that because I cannot stand Chris at all.

Another thing I noticed. Especially with Ada and Sherry. The campaigns don't feel like stories at all. It almost feels like I'm just going from place to place with a very vague reason at all. So by the end of the day I don't feel like I've really accomplished anything at all. Like in RE4. The story was poor but I felt like I was progressing through it and completing each area gave be satisfaction.
#10sbn4Posted 10/20/2013 2:50:21 PM
So then play as Piers. He has a much easier time especially with his rifle. In terms of story, characters, gameplay (meaning not having nonstop button prompts) and having an actual direction, I find it to be the best. The campaign itself is still mediocre, but it was the least grating in my book.

And you don't have to use the cover system. You can hide behind a wall (manipulate the camera to see what's around the corner) without using the cover mechanic. Slowly poke your head out while aiming down the sights, pop a few shots and roll back into cover.
---
"No man should fight any war but his own."