Does anyone think we will actually see a GOOD resident evil game again?

#281icantseePosted 1/8/2014 10:15:25 PM
Goldsickle posted...
When "game consoles can be used as a medium for art" goes wrong:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECVdnmjrfyc

That vid's about Robert Mapplethorp. He's the poster child for people who argue about the very nature of art itself, i.e. what can be considered art and what's considered trash. He did stuff like putting a cross in urine and calling it art .... mainly shock value stuff..... art vs obscenity etc etc

So I guess what I'm saying is he's probably not a good example of whether to consider video game as art because there's no established consensus as to whether he's an artist or just a hack.
---
RE5, 3DS, RE6 Mercs fan
#282LeftiesRulePosted 1/8/2014 11:50:19 PM
DarkD3stiny posted...
So someone having different views and tastes to you is that person joking? oh how very mature of you. No one can like re6 in your world huh? lol.

So.... Goldy how many alternate accounts do you really have?

Just like you've trashed our views.
#283GoldsicklePosted 1/9/2014 1:27:41 AM
icantsee posted...
That vid's about Robert Mapplethorp. He's the poster child for people who argue about the very nature of art itself, i.e. what can be considered art and what's considered trash. He did stuff like putting a cross in urine and calling it art .... mainly shock value stuff..... art vs obscenity etc etc

I wasn't counting on this to be a "valid" example anyway.
Just pointing it out.

There are better examples in my earlier posts.

So.... Goldy how many alternate accounts do you really have?

No matter how crazy it sounds (to you), there are such things as different people sharing the same views as me.

I guess Shinji Mikami himself is my alt because all this while I keep saying how modern RE is a "natural evolution" and one day, he says the same thing in a recent interview.
---
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)
#284SerperiorThanUPosted 1/9/2014 4:24:23 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#285ZGMF_600_GuaizPosted 1/10/2014 11:23:05 PM
DarkD3stiny posted...
LeftiesRule posted...
DarkD3stiny posted...
Well considering we just had a good re game with re6 then yes I think we will.

That's a good joke, I didn't know you told jokes.

So someone having different views and tastes to you is that person joking? oh how very mature of you. No one can like re6 in your world huh? lol.

Personally I liked RE:ORC quite a lot, and definitely enjoyed it and played it more time than RE6.

From a commercial point of view, RE:ORC was a success, while RE6 was a failure: the first managed to meet its projected sales in the given time, while the second didn't. From a cost-performance point of view, it would be a better decision to make a RE:ORC 2 than making a RE7 that followed RE6 footsteps.

Still, neither is a survival horror game, with RE:ORC being a dark FPS set in the RE universe and RE6 being a TPS/action game set in the RE universe, which Capcom itself classified as a "dramatic horror" game rather than survival horror.

And while everyone will have their own definition of what's scary and not, overall RE6 had fewer scare (or at least scare attempts). Like RE:ORC, RE6 they bet more on making the game look dark.

"Dramatic action" would be a more fitting classification for RE6, which is not a bad thing on its own, and also has a niche group as exemplified by DarkD3stiny and Goldsickle. But people end up pissed up when the expect a survival horror game and get a dramatic action game (with a few horror segments) instead. Capcom promised a game where there would be something for both old and modern RE fans and failed to deliver.

To put things in context, Capcom hoped RE6 to achieve CoD like sales:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Action-Oriented-Resident-Evil-Can-Sell-Like-Call-Duty-Says-Capcom-Producer-40794.html

Capcom hoped RE6 to have the kind of success that MH4 is currently having in Japan, for which they forecasted 2.8 million copies by March 2014, and yet by December they had already reached 4 million shipped copies. They wanted RE6 to smash the original 7 million goal and achieve CoD like sales, selling tens of millions of copies.

After hearing that Square-Enix considered that 2-3 million selling games like Tomb Raider and Hitman were failures, since their breakeven point was around 5 million, I couldn't help but thinking that RE6 was in the same or even worse position, labeled a failure by Capcom after it ended up selling just below 5 million copies, it's forecasted sales goal by March 2013 after tow revisions already.

Even RE: Revelations HD is said to have achieved its sales target of 1.2 million copies. Given the scope of the projects, RE: Revelations HD was more successful than RE6.

If Capcom truly meant that RE: Revelations HD would serve to gauge the current interest on the different RE styles, we could expect RE7 to take a step away from RE6 and take one closer to Revelations.

So far Revelations and RE:ORC have provided good results, while RE6 didn't. Capcom could even simply try to look back at RE5 for RE7, after all, RE: Mercenaries and RE: Revelations were developed after Capcom managed to run RE5 on the 3DS.

Regardless of which of these routes Capcom takes, even the often fan-requested REmake 2 and/or Outbreak 3, the one certain thing is that currently the odds are against a new RE game that will follow RE6's "dramatic horror" formula.