if Capcom want win-win everyone in RE 6 why not make new resident evil ip ?

#11SSJ_JinPosted 3/25/2014 6:47:55 AM
MGS4 is hated because of the story, not the gameplay.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KDXVEOqj8
http://antir.site90.net/
#12sbn4Posted 3/25/2014 7:15:11 AM
I figured as much, but many people have said the game is restrictive compared to MGS3.
---
"No man should fight any war but his own."
#13GoldsicklePosted 3/25/2014 7:34:14 AM
All franchises has their own "Luddite" community.

There are long-time fans of Metal Gear that wanted the series to go back to "overhead/fixed camera + stop for 1st person view + pressure-sensitive shooting" and would go as far as saying that the shooter-friendly controls ruins the stealth.

I remember discussing about this in the MGS4 board years ago and there are those who said "over-the-shoulder mechanics turns the game into another shooter".

I even made a poll about this out of curiosity:
http://goldsickle.deviantart.com/journal/poll/1380942/
---
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)
#14DanielSpace79Posted 3/25/2014 8:24:05 AM
sbn4 posted...
Metal Gear Solid has been around as long as RE. Heck, longer if you count the original. Do you know why fans aren't "as demanding as RE?" Because MGS is a stealth franchise and has stuck with that, making changes that are appropriate with being a stealth franchise.

To be fair, many fans didn't like MGS4 if I remember correctly even if it adhered to what MGS is. I created a topic a while back and some said MGS4 destroyed what the series had built up.

And hasn't Dead Space been on decline since the first game? In terms of sales and fan reception? I loved DS2 though.

It was a business decision that ended up being received poorly. Similar to the movie industry, the 'horror' genre in video games is just not the big seller or that well received compared to the big summer action blockbusters. Visceral tried to bolster sales by turning the game a bit more into a shooter than a survival horror, but in both cases it failed. They were kind of stuck in a catch-22. Do they make a good survival horror game that won't sell because horror is one of the hardest video game genres to make and market successfully? Or do they introduce those elements from games that sell the highest but compromise the survival horror element.
---
PSN: TheWorstType for RE6 and TLOU
Props to Hero-Dub for Reading my Novels
#15SSJ_JinPosted 3/25/2014 9:15:46 AM
^^^And that's exactly it. Clearly the fact that RE is more Call of Duty like is not a problem since they obviously sell way more. And Capcom obviously wants that money. But you can't hate on fans who want the survival horror back. Again, that's like saying, (for more specifics, let's say Subway is a massive seller) Burger King wants to get the money like Subway so they turn into Subway. BK fans who want BK and not a Subway clone have every right to "be demanding" over it.

But business wise, this is why Capcom has failed. They wanted the Call of Duty numbers, so RE was turned into it. Now it actually worked for them initially. With how RE6 had the be price cut...mmm, hard to say. But then they wanted God of War numbers so they turned DMC into DmC. While I'm not hating on DmC as I actually enjoyed it, look how that turned out.

Capcom had a ridiculous amount of franchises that sell. So much so that they could have afforded to, using RE as example, make it survival horror and let it sell what it sells.

It's not like it's that bad anyway. Revelations did what...a million? And Capcom apparently are super pleased with that. Yet they're not when RE6 doesn't make 7 million or whatever despite it doing like 5. Obviously making a profit comes into play, but it's just a screwed up business sense. REmake sold like 200,000 or so less than RE4 did on Gamecube, yet Capcom said REmake failed and that's why they went with 4. Then they ported 4. They act like REmake wouldn't have sold more had it been not simply on Gamecube. Course I guess that was the deal with Nintendo.

TL;DR
Anyway, I dunno why I'm even ranting over this. I just got RE: DC for free from PSN Home and decided to play it and I guess just playing an old school RE game made me remember how much more fun I have with them over the new stuff. I only play Mercs with the new ones anyway.

Too bad this PSN version is the Dual Shock version. This gotdamn music...

Btw, sbn4, are you able to get your hands on MGS Ground Zeroes? Might be a rip off due to the price and length depending on your view, but I'm sure everyone agrees that game is ****in' fantastic. I'd try and play it if you can.
---
#16edward18Posted 3/25/2014 10:15:44 AM
Really wish I had the money for systems nowadays.

My gripe with the prequel MGSes though is always something about the story. MGS3 is pretty damn good and there ain't really anything all that bad about it.

...well except the stupid "Granin thought up Rex" crap.

For things like Peace Walker though, even though it looks great, again, it's the whole "shoving crap in from later in the series" that irks me. I mean it just so happens that Otacon's dad worked with Snake's dad. And then again, the advanced Metal Gear stuff.

I can excuse RAXAs and Peace Walker I guess since they aren't really the bipedal tank that a true Metal Gear's supposed to be, but ZEKE is clearly foreshadowing Rex and crap even though Rex was supposed to be Otacon's design and everything seems way too advanced with ZEKE's design and all that AI **** that really subverts the impact that Metal Gear 1 and 2 were supposed to have in my eyes.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#17sbn4Posted 3/25/2014 11:43:11 AM(edited)
Btw, sbn4, are you able to get your hands on MGS Ground Zeroes? Might be a rip off due to the price and length depending on your view, but I'm sure everyone agrees that game is ****in' fantastic. I'd try and play it if you can.

Well yes. It came out on 360 so I scooped it up because the last time I bought a new MGS game was almost 10 years ago. To be honest, I am not impressed with the game outside of gameplay. The gameplay is great no doubt, but I feel like this game has no soul or personality from what I've play. The past MGS may have been zany and outlandish, but it gave the games spunk and an identity. GZ feels like a soul-less generic spy game to me. Granted, it looks good and plays well, but the game tries to take itself super seriously and isn't captivating. The art direction is not as good as MGS2-4 either. Also, the story and characters are not captivating. Its kind of silly to expect the players to know who any of these characters are without any real introduction. I have no idea who the hell Paz, Chico, or the radio guy are. And why are they so damn important. I guess that's what I get for not finishing PW.

And I can't be the only one who feels like it is turning into Splinter Cell a little. The detection marker, hiding bodies, shooting out lights, staying in the dark, crouch walking everywhere, and the slow motion head sequence all remind me of Splinter Cell. TPP may turn out different though. Hell they turned Hitman Absolution into Splinter Cell as well. I hate to say it, but GZ hasn't really piqued my interest in TPP. But I'm going to give the game another shot sometime this week.
---
"No man should fight any war but his own."
#18edward18Posted 3/25/2014 11:49:52 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#19SSJ_JinPosted 3/25/2014 12:02:25 PM
sbn4 posted...
Well yes. It came out on 360 so I scooped it up because the last time I bought a new MGS game was almost 10 years ago. To be honest, I am not impressed with the game outside of gameplay. The gameplay is great no doubt, but I feel like this game has no soul or personality from what I've play. The past MGS may have been zany and outlandish, but it gave the games spunk and an identity. GZ feels like a soul-less generic spy game to me. Granted, it looks good and plays well, but the game tries to take itself super seriously and isn't captivating. The art direction is not as good as MGS2-4 either. Also, the story and characters are not captivating. Its kind of silly to expect the players to know who any of these characters are without any real introduction. I have no idea who the hell Paz, Chico, or the radio guy are. And why are they so damn important. I guess that's what I get for not finishing PW.

Ah ok, that's good you played it. Well, I won't comment on the story itself as this was just a small short. I do know the cutscenes won't be as long as MGS4 since people complained about it, at least that's what's been said on this site, (so how reliable that is I dunno, but there might have been a source, I forget). But I'm sure this game will deliver what you're asking.

Liquid Snake is going to be in as a kid, (so his badassness will most likely shown even though he's young) Psycho Mantis is in, you have "Those who don't exist," I'm sure Ocelot will pull out his greatness, you have some girl, (Quiet) who might be interesting unless she's there for fan service...Then there's a fresh new take on Big Boss after that horrendous performance by David Hayter in Peace Walker. Can't blame you for not finishing Peace Walker....game was pretty bad. It was fun playing with friends though.

There is a "Backstory" that really sums up who Paz and Chico are. I'm sure you read it though, or Ed's post.

And I can't be the only one who feels like it is turning into Splinter Cell a little. The detection marker, hiding bodies, shooting out lights, staying in the dark, crouch walking everywhere, and the slow motion head sequence all remind me of Splinter Cell. TPP may turn out different though. Hell they turned Hitman Absolution into Splinter Cell as well. I hate to say it, but GZ hasn't really piqued my interest in TPP. But I'm going to give the game another shot sometime this week.

The Splinter Cell stuff is one of the things that being complained about by fans in the beginning. Haven't seen that lately, (or maybe I'm not looking) but I still find it to be Metal Gear enough even after playing Blacklist a while ago, (great game).

Now Hitman Absolution.....I dunno wtf they were thinking. Another "fans being too demanding" I guess, because people weren't having that. Worst Hitman. Great game, terrible Hitman. But apparently the creators have listened to the fans because reports say the next Hitman game will be like a true Hitman game; not linear, open sandboxes, no more magic pockets, (i.e. putting guns like shotguns and rifles in your pocket). Hopefully the disguise system won't be broken. Blood Money was one of the top 3 best video game experiences I ever had. Absolution disappointed me immensely.
---
#20DanielSpace79Posted 3/25/2014 12:32:25 PM
SSJ_Jin posted...
^^^And that's exactly it. Clearly the fact that RE is more Call of Duty like is not a problem since they obviously sell way more. And Capcom obviously wants that money. But you can't hate on fans who want the survival horror back. Again, that's like saying, (for more specifics, let's say Subway is a massive seller) Burger King wants to get the money like Subway so they turn into Subway. BK fans who want BK and not a Subway clone have every right to "be demanding" over it.

But business wise, this is why Capcom has failed. They wanted the Call of Duty numbers, so RE was turned into it. Now it actually worked for them initially. With how RE6 had the be price cut...mmm, hard to say. But then they wanted God of War numbers so they turned DMC into DmC. While I'm not hating on DmC as I actually enjoyed it, look how that turned out.

Capcom had a ridiculous amount of franchises that sell. So much so that they could have afforded to, using RE as example, make it survival horror and let it sell what it sells.

It's not like it's that bad anyway. Revelations did what...a million? And Capcom apparently are super pleased with that. Yet they're not when RE6 doesn't make 7 million or whatever despite it doing like 5. Obviously making a profit comes into play, but it's just a screwed up business sense. REmake sold like 200,000 or so less than RE4 did on Gamecube, yet Capcom said REmake failed and that's why they went with 4. Then they ported 4. They act like REmake wouldn't have sold more had it been not simply on Gamecube. Course I guess that was the deal with Nintendo.

I agree with a lot of what you said- fans are completely entitled to their opinions, especially when they pay money and feel like they were cheated out of a product, but I do disagree with a few points you made.

1. While I don't hate on (or support hate on) "fans that want the survival horror back" I do want those fans to recognize that Capcom's existence as a public entity is to increase it's value to it's shareholders and board of directors. Fans may or may not like it, but Capcom is a business looking to increase it's profit margin.

2. "Business wise" Capcom has not 'failed' - a 'failed' business indicates one that is bankrupt or in the red- where it's operating costs have exceeded it's profit. I believe we had this discussion on another thread but Capcom's business has not "failed"- it's actually pretty healthy looking over their financial documents.

3. I see your point on just letting RE be an RE. My assumption is that while they do have other franchises, RE is one of, if not their biggest console game, which likely means a team of at least 250-300. With that much investment pouring in, they needed to take a bet on it.

4. How is it a screwed up business sense? I personally think they made the best decision they could- they looked at a whole bunch of buying and spending analytics showing millions of people liking nothing more then shooting things and blowing them up and compared it to the sales of masterful survival horror games that are agreed to be 'amazing' but sell terribly and tried to make a game that catered to each audience type. It wasn't a failure, it underperformed and part of the reason was that it had no identity from trying to please 100 types of fans who all want different things. I'm curious to see where they take the series in the future, but I'd just ask everyone who is so...passionate...about the subject to recognize that Capcom's primary focus is on CAPCOM.
---
PSN: TheWorstType for RE6 and TLOU
Props to Hero-Dub for Reading my Novels