if Capcom want win-win everyone in RE 6 why not make new resident evil ip ?

#191DanielSpace79Posted 4/6/2014 1:45:08 PM
CobraSA posted...
Goldsickle posted...
Completely unrelated to the discussion.
That's entirely related on the contrary since I proved by A+B that is used to be a top notch blockbuster, and is now a game which is doing quite poor what used to be a solid franchise.

Also, stop ignoring the fact that the leading members of the Resident Evil development team are already bored of the old school style.
No matter how much you nitpick or b**** about Capcom sales tactics, it won't change the fact that there's nobody left at Capcom who wants to do an "old-school style" RE.
Sure, because these smart developers are going to crap on their bread and tell everyone straight "hey buy this **** we're selling"

How about we look at the only thing that matters : users average ratings taken straight from gfaqs:
Resident Evil (PS) 4.13 / 5, out of 872 total votes
Resident Evil DC (PS) 4.18 / 5, out of 981 total votes
Resident Evil 2 (PS) 4.36 / 5, out of 1476 total votes
Resident Evil Remake (GC) 4.41 / 5, out of 1707 total votes

Resident Evil 6 (PS3) 3.69 / 5, out of 1446 total votes

Now it certainly seems gamers are more bored about the newer style than the older.

===
Final Legion posted...
Hmm, let's see....top 20...
Here's a top 20 list with only one RE title: http://www.gamesradar.com/best-psx-games/
Here's another with only RE title: http://retro-sanctuary.com/Top-100-PS1-Games-Page-5.html
And another with just one: http://caddicarus.wikia.com/wiki/Caddy%27s_Top_20_Favorite_PS1_Games
Oh, and another: http://cabbitwolf.wordpress.com/2012/07/11/top-20-playstation-1-games/

You must tell me more about these top 20 lists that have multiple RE entries.
I was not talking about a few random internet bloggers top 20, I was talking about sales charts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_video_games

Can't say I know. I never played RE6 but that's what I'm hearing. No loss for me.
.... :|

Sorry- you completely destroyed any chance of being taken seriously with this. 1st off, most game publishers use MetaCritic, to track engagement and reception of a game. 2nd- they care more about what critics say then gamers since critics have a higher tendency to influence the purchase power. While the numbers themselves are probably similiar (I don't have the interest or werewithal, but your welcome to check) the fact that you think that matters and pull the data from gfaqs is really just kinda laughable.
---
PSN: TheWorstType for RE6 and TLOU
Props to Hero-Dub for Reading my Novels
#192GoldsicklePosted 4/6/2014 11:24:00 PM
DanielSpace79 posted...
1st off, most game publishers use MetaCritic, to track engagement and reception of a game. 2nd- they care more about what critics say then gamers since critics have a higher tendency to influence the purchase power.

Which do companies put more priorities on?
Reviews or sales?

What if a game "everyone hated" sells 5-6 million copies?
---
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)
#193DanielSpace79Posted 4/7/2014 10:55:40 AM
Goldsickle posted...
DanielSpace79 posted...
1st off, most game publishers use MetaCritic, to track engagement and reception of a game. 2nd- they care more about what critics say then gamers since critics have a higher tendency to influence the purchase power.

Which do companies put more priorities on?
Reviews or sales?

What if a game "everyone hated" sells 5-6 million copies?

It's sort of cyclical and simultaneous- when BF4 and then Titanfall launched the obsession wasn't quite over the initial sales or midnight gatherings (though that was important) but rather what the critics score was on MetaCritic based on the level of influence it has. Once the ratings got somewhat locked in the focus which was maybe 65/35, became more 80/20 and then 90/10. Ratings rarely change substantially after the first few weeks and about 99% of the weight is put on critic reviews over individual reviews or what fans say/think as it's too difficult to take them in aggregate.

In regards to your example- what I'd first look it is the cost of development. If the game cost 20 million to make, but earned the company back 30 million but was universally panned- the game makers would most likely try to identify the biggest trends on why it was hated and look to answer the question of 'if we remake or redo this game, even if it's hated, would it still sell?" and then use that information to help determine and model what future iterations would look like.
---
#194CobraSAPosted 4/9/2014 8:04:32 AM(edited)
Regardless of opinions, fact is RE is no longer the blockbuster it used to be, very far from it. It is now a franchise doing ok sales, but it does not even meet the expectations of capcom anymore.

I am going to post a honest and nuanced analysis of the reasons

RE1
-pro: was a genre defining and mind blowing game for its time, but it was not just about its great aesthetics, it had an incredibly ingenious level design and a very involving gameplay
-con: not much, some criticize the bad voice acting, but all games featuring voice acting were like that at the time and it quite adds to its charm

RE2
-pro: basically took RE1 formula and added more of everything, more zombies, more features, more gameplay tricks, but not just that it innovated a lot with the interaction between the two scenarios and the possibility to do them is one or another order, giving it a great replay value, the hunk bonus scenario was also a great feature
-con: the police station/mansion hybrid was kind of bad taste, the riddles have become way too easy

RE3
-pro: improved commands nicely, they are a lot more flexible
-con: clearly a step backward in the series, most aspects downgraded, no more of the multiple scenarios, that entry did not add any major innovation either, on top of that the game was now way too easy, I consider this weak entry partly responsible for RE decline in popularity
-it didn't help that it came out quite late in the psx lifetime and that it was totally outmatched by the much superior competitor Silent Hill

RE Code Veronica
-pro: RE returning to its source with great level design, nice story, involving gameplay full of ingenious tricks, interacting scenarios etc... now in 3D!
-con: game way too easy, you could end the game with way more ammo and healing items than you could carry or even stockpile in the box, the term "survival" was just not fitting anymore, the term "horror"... well silent hill did much better
-not enough innovations
-the launching on dreamcast did not help this great title hit a large audience unfortunately

RE Remake
pro: successfully improved the legendary first title with not only gorgeous visuals, but also adding A LOT of innovations and depth to the already rich gameplay and level design, and what I appreciate even more the difficulty was further increased (if you don't select easy mode) and we were finally back to a game where the best you could do was just "survive"
con: nothing about the game itself, but the choice of single platform was a mistake from capcom which did not help the old school resident evil style to hit a large audience once again, it's a shame really because a multi platform release of this + CV would have really helped keeping the series very popular in its original formula

RE4
pro: gorgeous, modern and somewhat entertaining
con: nothing of the genre it defined is left, neither survival nor horror, but more importantly, nothing left of the great level design, involving gameplay, ammo management, etc, defining the series, in this title you can easily shoot more ammo than all the previous installments combined, it became just that, a third person shooter, an entertaining one, but hardly related with the former titles

RE5
con: basically RE4 but worse, you felt like "resident evil what? I have played better third person shooters"

RE6
con: even more mainstream, even less interesting, your quite unlimited ammos are of not much use when your chars can beat the crap out of zombies with their bare hands like karate champions, and you know it's just not RE anymore

RE Revelations
pro: appreciate capcom's attempt at marrying old school and modern RE
con: but in the eyes of a true resident evil fan, this attempt was just too weak, still way too easy, still far more efforts in visuals than in gameplay or level design
---
The MUGEN ARCHIVE : http://mugen.the-chronicles.org
#195GoldsicklePosted 4/9/2014 7:50:02 AM
CobraSA posted...
I am going to post a honest and nuanced analysis of the reasons

Completely skewed personal opinions.

And you forgot again:
Shinji and co. dislikes old school RE.
I can say it as many times as you want.
It pretty much cancels out any excuse or reasoning on 'old school' RE coming back.

If you have any arguments, then it should be something so strong that it would actually convince the ones in charge to change what they're doing.
If not, then give it up.

You're not bringing back old school RE by b****ing, whining or taking it out on random people in internet forums.

true resident evil fan

And that's the problem here.
There's no such thing as a "true fan".
Everybody has their own reasons for liking a game or game series.

Considering oneself a "true fan" implies that everyone else is "wrong".
Those who consider themselves "true fans" are just closed-minded, selfish, ignorant f***s who wants to believe that they're more entitled or more important.
---
#196CobraSAPosted 4/9/2014 8:24:13 AM
^you are incredibly naive and you know nothing of what they like or dislike
1. as a developer, you can hardly see your job as a source of entertainment
2. you assume he could crap on his own bread by saying "it's bad, don't buy it"

if you don't like "true fan", fine then just replace it with "fan from the beginning"
---
#197DanielSpace79Posted 4/9/2014 8:44:03 AM
He isn't na´ve- everything he is saying is correct.

I was a 'fan from the beginning'- and I actually liked every installment, including 5 and 6. I found replaying 6 to be annoying and I didn't love it- but I enjoyed it and played it 3x through, then spent months grinding mercs.
---
#198edward18Posted 4/9/2014 9:14:05 AM
4's still the worst main game in the series to me.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#199GoldsicklePosted 4/9/2014 9:53:56 AM
CobraSA posted...
you know nothing of what they like or dislike

Phrases like "the creators were starting to get bored with it", "cookie cutter mold", "shackles holding us down" & "it would have been better if the camera is behind the player" is more than enough to let me know that the notable staff members don't like the old school style anymore.

These things have been mentioned over and over again in various interviews and in "The Making Of RE4" video.

You're the one who doesn't know s***.

if you don't like "true fan", fine then just replace it with "fan from the beginning"

I'm a "fan from the beginning" (played since 1996) and I don't like tank controls, prerendered backgrounds/fixed camera, lock-on shooting and Ink Ribbon saving.
I'm glad these features are discarded like the stinking garbage they are.
---
#200CobraSAPosted 4/9/2014 10:04:51 AM
^You play since 1996? I thought you were 10yo or something with all your cursing and censorship bypassing. I stand corrected.

And it's too bad your opinion did not help the series remain a blockbuster :-(
---