What makes Jill the top heroine of this series?

#11TheSkinniMini1(Topic Creator)Posted 4/6/2014 8:27:57 PM
parkourboybryan posted...
Because she's one of the first two playable characters and has more starring appearances than any other female at 3, while Claire has 2, and every other female has 1.

Also because she's overcome just as much as any other protagonist, if not more.

siberian142 posted...
I would imagine it's because she is one of the more iconic. She's been with the series from the very beginning and along with Chris, she's been in a lot of games. She's also a fairly safe/likeable character; she's a loyal, cut-and-dry badass devoted to fighting bio-terrorism.

The series has plenty of great female characters, it's just that none of them can really match up in popularity to a character who always gets playable roles. Some of them fill a certain character trope too, IE: seductive spy, etc, or have been around and playable for a much shorter amount of time.

sbn4 posted...
Because she was the first character in the first game. Most people probably chose Jill on their first run. Its also worth noting that she was the first character in the series to appear in a non Resident Evil games as well. I always felt her MVC2 appearance didn't make sense. Chris is the better fighter and would fit better in this type of universe. But I guess since she was more recognizable to people she got in. In MVC3 Chris was one of the marquee characters and Jill was a DLC character that few cared about. Which sucks because Jill is so fun to watch.

Even though she's my favorite female, I'd have to say she is the least interesting personality wise. I do like her because of what she's overcome. In fact, I relate very well to Jill based on my own personal life.

But I think her popularity has been hurt lately. Both her appearances in RE5 and Revelations are not enough to some, and I feel Capcom has hurt her in some ways. I love RE5 Jill (both aesthetically and story wise), but I cannot stand what has happened to her in Revelations and REORC. I actually see characters like Ada gaining more fans lately.

---
---
Why so serious mates?
#12TheSkinniMini1(Topic Creator)Posted 4/6/2014 8:39:35 PM
VioletSystems posted...
1. She's overrated
2. She's the first gurl protag
3. She's the gurl protagonist who has the most appearances
4. Because she's a female Chris.

5. Fanboyz

slapper1 posted...
Because she was the first playable female protagonist in the series and because she is essentially an action hero like Chris. Had Claire, Sheva, or possibly even Rebecca appeared in as many playable leading roles as Jill has, then I'm guessing they would achieve equal popularity to Jill or possibly even surpass her due to their more interesting character traits/personalities. That's not to say that I dislike Jill as she is a fairly likeable character, it's just that her static action heroine personality makes her come off as less interesting compared to other females in the series (Sheva has arguably more personality then Jill and she was only in ONE game).

That being said, Claire and Rebecca are my favorite female RE protagonists in the Resident Evil series and I want to see them star in upcoming main title games (although I doubt my wishes will be fulfilled).

So being 1st (as well as making more appearances) automatically makes her the best heroine in RE? I can see how it may make her the most popular (nostalgia is a hell of a drug), but being the most popular doesn't necessarily mean being the absolute best. I just don't see how being 1st or her popularity instantly puts her above all the other women in terms of being the best RE heroine.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is besides popularity, making the most appearances (although I believe Ada has the same # but she isn't a straight up heroine), and being first, what in game qualities does Jill have over Claire, Rebecca, Sheva, Helena, and Sherry that makes her better than all of them (according to many in the fanbase)?
---
---
Why so serious mates?
#13slapper1Posted 4/6/2014 8:52:14 PM(edited)
^ Other then dat bod, not a whole lot to be honest. Her personality sucks compared to just about every other female protagonist in the RE series and she comes off as a bit static in her action hero persona. I'm thinking that outside of her bod and her many appearances in the series, her popularity stems from her confidence and her combat experience. Let's face it, strong women are always interesting in video games even if they lack personality. Jill is arguably the strongest female character in the RE series and we pretty much never see her break down or get emotional when the going gets tough or when things look grim, she just keeps on fighting. She has overcome many of the greatest threats presented in the RE universe and that has won her a lot of respect from RE players over the years to the point that her meh personality is often overlooked. It's understandable to see why she is so popular, but I will always favor the female protags with more developed personalities over Jill.
---
Christmas sucks, end of story.
Currently OP8 on Borderlands 2.
#14VioletSystemsPosted 4/6/2014 9:30:08 PM
TheSkinniMini1 posted...

VioletSystems posted...
1. She's overrated

5. Fanboyz

So being 1st (as well as making more appearances) automatically makes her the best heroine in RE?

If you read again, number 2 is among the list of reasons that makes her the *~best~* heroine of the series. I don't even consider her as the best. In fact, I quite dislike the character.
---
KASG: kawaii anime school girl
http://goo.gl/h33Um4
#15sbn4Posted 4/6/2014 9:49:16 PM(edited)
The "because she's hot" doesn't always work. A lot of her fans are straight female gamers. Well from my experience anyway.

And being "best" is totally subjective. Its not something you can really reason with. To some people she's the best, but I'm sure there are many who are probably sick of this character.
---
"No man should fight any war but his own."
#16siberian142Posted 4/6/2014 10:06:33 PM
Pretty much, yeah. She's an easy character to like, but she has other factors helping her popularity; she's an iconic character that frequently appears in new games. Asides from maybe Ada and Claire, the others just can't compete because they're just not being used and they don't have they legacy of being used in the older games. Plenty of people will go with the easily likable character that they've played as over the years over newly introduced characters like Sheva, Helena, or adult Sherry. This doesn't necessarily make her the best, but best is also subjective, some might just prefer Jill.
#17weskercommanderPosted 4/7/2014 2:51:37 AM
I think her RE3 portrayal had a lot to do with her popularity too. She had a much stronger and more pro-active role compared to RE1, almost in an Ellen Ripley kind of way. She wasn't sharing the lead spot with a male character. She was the sole hero with Carlos playing the supporting role. Her personality was no longer dumb and clueless like the original. Instead she was smart, sassy, badass and strong willed. Her RE3 appearance is also VERY iconic. Not just in Resident Evil but gaming in general. She shared a lot of traits with Lara Croft and what made her a popular character, which I think helped her stand out from almost every other gaming heroine at the time.

I think her popularity has taken a hit the past decade though. A large part has to do with her character being sucked dry of personality. In RE3 she was full of life, but in REmake and Revelations she's become so lifeless and monotone. Its boring. RE5 wasn't too bad but we didn't really see enough of her to really get to know her.

The other reason is that since REmake she's pretty much taken a backseat to Chris Redfield. RE3 showed she can stand on her own as a lead character, but the past decade she's become too much of a supporting player and is often portrayed as Chris Redfield's glorified sidekick constantly living in his shadow. When she got her own game with Revelations she was still sharing the spotlight with 5 other characters and the game was never given the attention that RE4-6 had.
#18ArchiantagonistPosted 4/7/2014 5:34:11 AM
Q: What makes Jill the top heroine of this series?
A: Nothing...
---
--------------------x_0--------------------
#19TheSkinniMini1(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2014 6:21:58 AM
VioletSystems posted...
TheSkinniMini1 posted...

VioletSystems posted...
1. She's overrated

5. Fanboyz

So being 1st (as well as making more appearances) automatically makes her the best heroine in RE?

If you read again, number 2 is among the list of reasons that makes her the *~best~* heroine of the series. I don't even consider her as the best. In fact, I quite dislike the character.

sbn4 posted...
The "because she's hot" doesn't always work. A lot of her fans are straight female gamers. Well from my experience anyway.

And being "best" is totally subjective. Its not something you can really reason with. To some people she's the best, but I'm sure there are many who are probably sick of this character.

I'm not saying everyone thinks she is the best but I sure do see a lot of people on many message boards saying "Jill is the greatest female protag", "Jill is the best RE female in the series" without as much as a explanation as to why they feel that way. That's why I'm asking. Just wanted to hear the thoughts of the people who do feel she is the best heroine.
---
---
Why so serious mates?
#20TheSkinniMini1(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2014 6:34:40 AM
siberian142 posted...
Pretty much, yeah. She's an easy character to like, but she has other factors helping her popularity; she's an iconic character that frequently appears in new games. Asides from maybe Ada and Claire, the others just can't compete because they're just not being used and they don't have they legacy of being used in the older games. Plenty of people will go with the easily likable character that they've played as over the years over newly introduced characters like Sheva, Helena, or adult Sherry. This doesn't necessarily make her the best, but best is also subjective, some might just prefer Jill.

I don't know. I think a girl who is used just once can be a better heroine than someone that keeps appearing.

The fact that most keep bringing up her popularity (even though I like wesker's Re3 assessment for her) makes me wonder if that's the only thing Jill truly has over the other girls.

Okay new question. Who is the best heroine (not who is your favorite or who is the most popular/"iconic") in this series to you and why? No her popularity levels do not count.

For me it's Claire. Compared to the rest of the heroines she absolutely is top notch. I mean she's more capable and independent than Rebecca and Sherry, more personable and likeable than Helena and Jill, has more importance in her in game/storylines than Sheva and is more 3-dimensional (at least for this series) than all of them honestly. In all of her appearances, she's funny, independent, headstrong, determined, capable, personable, loyal, kind, caring, protective, open with her feelings. She's strong yet visionably vulnerable at the same time. Very human like and rootable. I just don't see any of the women outdoing her as a protagonist. Not that the other women are bad (RE has some of the strongest and diverse women in gaming) but each lacks in one area where Claire does not.

Why I understand everyone has opinions and is not wrong for feeling whatever way they do, I myself don't see how anyone could put Jill as #1. Claire is on par in terms of capability, but outdoes her in nearly every other area. That's just my opinion though.
---
---
Why so serious mates?