Perfect Resident Evil Game Ideas

#1DapperDan245Posted 5/7/2014 2:25:43 PM
My dream RE game:
Remake of 2 and 3 with 3 separate story lines (Claire, Leon, Jill) with Claire and Leon affecting each other's play through, like in the original. Completely updated graphics and the choice between fixed camera a la RE 2,3 or over the shoulder a la RE 4. (1 Player Only)

Mercenaries mode will make a return with play similar to RE 5 and 6, though not necessarily reflecting the game play of the actual story mode, as it will be more action-y while the story will be full on survival horror. Lots of characters and stages from multiple games not limited to 2 and 3, characters with plenty of costumes, each with their own custom load out. (1-4 Players offline AND online)

Disclaimer: ALL additional content will be unlockable and there will be no DLC. I have nothing against DLC, but I feel as though in recent years people have forgotten what it's like to feel the accomplishment of earning new content, as opposed to simply having to buy it, plus this will ease the minds of those who are against DLC.

What do you think, and what's your idea of a perfect Resident Evil game?
---
3DS FC: 2964-9082-6888
Pokemon X IGN: Chuk
#2Slayer_22Posted 5/7/2014 2:45:41 PM
It's completely possible to have tons of unlockable content AND DLC, you know?
---
You should check out Imagine Dragons http://youtu.be/wO0ohGn-x3E
<o> YES! \o/ <o> YES! \o/ <o> YES! \o/
#3ZeeDoggePosted 5/7/2014 2:52:01 PM
Actual good ideas
-Incorporate setting up barricades into the gameplay. Ever since the village in RE4 that's been so lightly used when it could be a major gameplay component for setting up strategy
-Actual open world. Not metroidvania. Something like Deus Ex where there's multiple points of entry for any situation
-Some advanced new form of QTEs. Imagine some way that you could make cutscenes interactive without affecting the plot. For example, make it possible to be randomly attacked in any cutscene, allowing you to react and transition to gameplay, then back to cutscene.
---
lol assault rifles are machine guns.... d'oh! :P btw so are submgs and anything that has automatic fire.
~squiggy9996999
#4DapperDan245(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2014 3:05:07 PM(edited)
Slayer_22 posted...
It's completely possible to have tons of unlockable content AND DLC, you know?

I guess that's true, I'm just afraid that it could turn into something like a Street Fighter x Tekken incident

ZeeDogge posted...
Actual good ideas
-Incorporate setting up barricades into the gameplay. Ever since the village in RE4 that's been so lightly used when it could be a major gameplay component for setting up strategy
-Actual open world. Not metroidvania. Something like Deus Ex where there's multiple points of entry for any situation
-Some advanced new form of QTEs. Imagine some way that you could make cutscenes interactive without affecting the plot. For example, make it possible to be randomly attacked in any cutscene, allowing you to react and transition to gameplay, then back to cutscene.

Those are good ideas in general, but I don't know if they'd be the best for a Resident Evil game specifically. QTEs haven't worked very well in the past
---
#5Ghaszaszh_NyirhPosted 5/7/2014 3:54:57 PM
i just want a fun extra mode where you play as a T-103 or Nemesis and complete assassination objectives.
---
Ghaszaszh Nyirh. Of the Old Ones, the scrolls say that he loved the debasement of his slaves the best. And they go to him willingly.
#6ZeeDoggePosted 5/7/2014 4:42:45 PM
DapperDan245 posted...
gameplay. Ever since the village in RE4 that's been so lightly used when it could be a major gameplay component for setting up strategy-Actual open world. Not metroidvania. Something like Deus Ex where there's multiple points of entry for any situation-Some advanced new form of QTEs. Imagine some way that you could make cutscenes interactive without affecting the plot. For example, make it possible to be randomly attacked in any cutscene, allowing you to react and transition to gameplay, then back to cutscene.

Barricades are ridiculously good for RE. I'm surprised they still haven't been implemented after the RE4 village hinted it would be a major feature. RE4 *POPULARIZED* QTEs in the first place. And who would even be against open world gameplay over liner or pseudo open metroidvania?
---
lol assault rifles are machine guns.... d'oh! :P btw so are submgs and anything that has automatic fire.
~squiggy9996999
#7DapperDan245(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2014 5:28:29 PM
I would like to point out that by the title of the thread I meant ideas for a perfect resident evil game, not that my ideas were perfect, because upon reflection, that probably could have been seen as pretentious.

ZeeDogge posted...

Barricades are ridiculously good for RE. I'm surprised they still haven't been implemented after the RE4 village hinted it would be a major feature. RE4 *POPULARIZED* QTEs in the first place. And who would even be against open world gameplay over liner or pseudo open metroidvania?

Barricades wouldn't be a bad thing to use at all, but I still feel that the QTEs are unnecessary and feel much more action-oriented than survival horror. RE4 was a really good game, but there's no denying it had a more action-influenced style than any previous RE games, which in itself isn't a bad thing, but explains why QTEs might work better in a more action-heavy setting. If your ideal RE game does have a mix of action and survival horror though, then I guess you would be right and QTEs might not be a bad idea either. As far as open world goes though, it would be very different than anything I'd have seen in RE before, so I guess I would have to see it in an RE game before deciding whether it was a good change or not, though as it stands, I'm a little uneasy about it.
---
#8ZeeDoggePosted 5/7/2014 5:57:25 PM
DapperDan245 posted...
mix of action and survival horror though, then I guess you would be right and QTEs might not be a bad idea either. As far as open world goes though, it would be very different than anything I'd have seen in RE before, so I guess I would have to see it in an RE game before deciding whether it was a good change or not, though as it stands, I'm a little uneasy about it.---

QTE's are literally there so non-regular gameplay isn't just a cinematic. The characters in RE have always done action stuff, RE4 just incorporated that into gameplay, so that you have to be aware even in cutscenes. For example, after killing the big fish in RE4, you think it's over in the cutscene--but wait, the rope caught on you, wiggle the left stick!

And seriously, you Game Theory was absolutely right about gamers never wanting change and that's why we get rehashes. Open world gameplay with multiple options on how you want proceed is just an all around win. It increase replay value,combat depth, exploration, and is way less constricting than metroidvania.
---
~squiggy9996999
#9DapperDan245(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2014 6:37:00 PM
ZeeDogge posted...
QTE's are literally there so non-regular gameplay isn't just a cinematic. The characters in RE have always done action stuff, RE4 just incorporated that into gameplay, so that you have to be aware even in cutscenes. For example, after killing the big fish in RE4, you think it's over in the cutscene--but wait, the rope caught on you, wiggle the left stick!

If you were going for a survival horror experience more akin to the early resident evils, the QTE system wouldn't work as well because in those games part of the experience was the terror of knowing that if you didn't find a typewriter soon you would be screwed because the last 2 hours of play will have gone down the drain. With the QTE system, it supports the idea that dying isn't a big deal (because let's be honest, most people die at least once during QTEs), which is contrary to the feeling of "I can't die here or else" because there were no checkpoints or anything like that. When you can die and then re spawn a few feet away, it loses the feeling of survival in survival horror, but as I mentioned earlier, if those aren't the kind of games you want, then I guess that doesn't matter to your argument, I was just explaining why I don't think they'd work.
---
#10ZeeDoggePosted 5/7/2014 7:04:51 PM
DapperDan245 posted...
ZeeDogge posted...

If you were going for a survival horror experience more akin to the early resident evils, the QTE system wouldn't work as well because in those games part of the experience was the terror of knowing that if you didn't find a typewriter soon you would be screwed because the last 2 hours of play will have gone down the drain. With the QTE system, it supports the idea that dying isn't a big deal (because let's be honest, most people die at least once during QTEs), which is contrary to the feeling of "I can't die here or else" because there were no checkpoints or anything like that. When you can die and then re spawn a few feet away, it loses the feeling of survival in survival horror, but as I mentioned earlier, if those aren't the kind of games you want, then I guess that doesn't matter to your argument, I was just explaining why I don't think they'd work.

This is derpy. You would be more scared if you could die at any time, including cutscenes. The checkpoint system is another thing entirely. If you wanna talk checkpoints, you want to talk about the old school tedium of having to redo long sequences without losing or turning off the game, and I don't think you wanna go there. Not to mention that this type of mechanic is not unique to horror games at all, and generally is a bad idea all around, which is why most games have abandoned it.

Died? Let's inflate the game length by making you repeat long segments. Forget to save? Too bad. Game glitch out and loses you 20 minutes of gameplay? lol

*If* you wanted to create a fear of death, there are much better ways to do it, such as Minecraft style death with checkpoints. And even then, this isn't necessarily conductive to a lot of fun, and may be better just to have a normal checkpoint system.
---
~squiggy9996999