Maybe this is what's wrong with the new resident evil games

#1Coryo61827Posted 5/11/2014 9:27:52 PM
I was reading an article recently about how they would like to see a resident evil comeback, and they said something mr hat actually makes a lot of sense, and after thinking about it I totally agree cause I feel it's what has been missing from the series for a while now.

They said something like, "I want to be hunted, not be the hunter." After thinking about it, that's so true. In all the new resident evil games, you're pretty much the hunter and I do miss feel like I'm being hunted.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.14
#2GoldsicklePosted 5/11/2014 11:31:40 PM
This applies to every single RE game from the beginning.
No matter how much the game hobbles you, if you're good at it, you will always be the hunter.

With careful planning and ammo hoarding, I can defeat Mr. X or Nemesis every time I encounter them.
---
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)
#3ZeeDoggePosted 5/12/2014 12:15:08 AM
I have a separate theory. Through reviews and media, people are primed into a specific type of playstyle and perceptions what that playstyle is. If you tell people a game is "you are the hunted", they might try a more cowardly playstyle, if you tell them you are a badass, they will try to use their combat skills to win. Thats why some people try to play RE6 like typical shooter, fail terribly or are forced to play on easy difficulties, and then conclude that the game is simply a bad GoW clone, even when just switching playstyles would make everything make sense.

At the same time, gamers could be doing the same exact thing between old and new RE and perceive it as being cowardly or badass. You kill tons and tons of monsters like a death machine in all REs, yet you could have different perceptions on it based on how you're primed by your social environment. At the same time, you could avoid some monsters entirely, yet perceive as being powerless and constantly on the run like RE was Outlast or something based on how other people present it.
---
lol assault rifles are machine guns.... d'oh! :P btw so are submgs and anything that has automatic fire.
~squiggy9996999
#4Ghaszaszh_NyirhPosted 5/12/2014 12:46:54 AM
It would help if the protagonists weren't so confident about getting through the whole thing. If the character expresses fear and vulnerability, you'll feel more vulnerable while playing. That's why I thought the first Dead Space did a good job in making Isaac a silent protagonist. You really felt like you were just some random guy all alone and it made the enemies seem that much more threatening. In the last two RE games it's just target practice.
---
Ghaszaszh Nyirh. Of the Old Ones, the scrolls say that he loved the debasement of his slaves the best. And they go to him willingly.
#5zenandiPosted 5/12/2014 7:40:45 AM
ZeeDogge posted...
Thats why some people try to play RE6 like typical shooter, fail terribly or are forced to play on easy difficulties, and then conclude that the game is simply a bad GoW clone, even when just switching playstyles would make everything make sense.

qft.

I keep saying. Bring the merc mindset and playstyle. That's the basic engine. It ain't your regular shooter.
#6ZeeDoggePosted 5/12/2014 12:49:29 PM
Ghaszaszh_Nyirh posted...
It would help if the protagonists weren't so confident about getting through the whole thing. If the character expresses fear and vulnerability, you'll feel more vulnerable while playing. That's why I thought the first Dead Space did a good job in making Isaac a silent protagonist. You really felt like you were just some random guy all alone and it made the enemies seem that much more threatening. In the last two RE games it's just target practice.

Dead Rising 3 and Outlast do this, but I can't think of an RE game that does(at least in a way that doesnt come up as lovable campy horror)
---
lol assault rifles are machine guns.... d'oh! :P btw so are submgs and anything that has automatic fire.
~squiggy9996999
#7SSJ_JinPosted 5/12/2014 1:07:19 PM
What's wrong with RE is very simple. It's that it is now marketed to the majority, i.e. the shooter crowd. That's exactly it, no more no less. Therefore, in doing so it loses its originality or "flavor" that made it unique in the first place.

I'd rather Capcom make a new shooter IP and bring RE back to it's original flavor rather than having a poor version of the shooter flavor.

But the worst...is Legacy of Kain. I can't believe they turned it into a 3rd person shooter. smh
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KDXVEOqj8
http://antir.site90.net/
#8ZeeDoggePosted 5/12/2014 6:19:23 PM
SSJ_Jin posted...
What's wrong with RE is very simple. It's that it is now marketed to the majority, i.e. the shooter crowd. That's exactly it, no more no less. Therefore, in doing so it loses its originality or "flavor" that made it unique in the first place.

I'd rather Capcom make a new shooter IP and bring RE back to it's original flavor rather than having a poor version of the shooter flavor.

But the worst...is Legacy of Kain. I can't believe they turned it into a 3rd person shooter. smh

The reason it seems like a bad shooter is that its not meant to be a shooter, and the mechanics do not work for that playstyle. Play like the last 2 REs and it will make more sense
---
~squiggy9996999
#9IlDankoPosted 5/12/2014 6:51:54 PM
What's wrong with RE is that, since 4, they have developed a tunnel gameplay, where the only way you need to follow is forward.

RE seriously need an open world gameplay, where the player feels to have control of the game instead of the game controlling the player.
---
Oppose and disagree, destroy demonocracy.... New Muse album in progress, **** YES!
PSN: Dan21993
#10zenandiPosted 5/12/2014 7:07:46 PM
IlDanko posted...
What's wrong with RE is that, since 4, they have developed a tunnel gameplay, where the only way you need to follow is forward.

RE seriously need an open world gameplay, where the player feels to have control of the game instead of the game controlling the player.

The problem with that is MP.

You can have no exploration whatsoever with MP. It simply doesn't jive together well. They even took out in-game books and reads on the correct assumption that nobody was going to stop and read in a co-op experience.