i think Resident Evil start actions in Resident Evil 3

#1gantaratPosted 5/13/2014 10:04:48 PM(edited)
- enemy use gun (nemesis with rocket launcher)
- too much ammo
- red barrels
- dodge move
#2edward18Posted 5/13/2014 10:15:03 PM
It's certainly the worst of the classics to me.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#3TheDawnRiderPosted 5/13/2014 11:10:34 PM
When RE3 came out it was praised, now it seems popular to hate on it apparently. Nemesis stalking you was tense and nerve-wracking at the time. Even if RE3 was more action oriented, it still had the classic vibe of the series and respected it's roots. RE4 is where the mess started, there's no point in trying to shift the blame anywhere else.
#4GoldsicklePosted 5/13/2014 11:26:03 PM
In addition to Nemesis toting a firearm, he also drops items upon defeat.

A hint of things to come.

RE3 is also the first RE to have a human opponent, where you take on Nicholai where he shoots at you while riding a chopper. Probably also the first RE to have a helicopter boss fight.
---
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)
#5Ghaszaszh_NyirhPosted 5/14/2014 12:07:43 AM(edited)
RE3 had more action than the first two games (which isn't a bad thing at all and I don't understand why people think so) but let's not act like it started in RE3.

gantarat posted...
- enemy use gun (nemesis with rocket launcher)
- too much ammo
- red barrels
- dodge move

RE2:

- Enemies were easy as hell to avoid or kill, resulting in too much ammo and healing items
- rocket launcher, grenade launcher, spark shot, gatling gun, flamethrower, submachine gun

Wow Nemesis carries a rocket launcher that only has 5 shots in 3 of his 11 or 12 scripted appearances...clearly overwhelming. Not seeing how Nemesis is supposed to be listed as a detriment to the direction of the series. He was a lot more nerve racking to face than Tyrant who you could go a whole game without being touched by once.

Anyway, RE3 keeps much of the atmosphere of the previous games but adds worthwhile additions to the series. You really want a third game where you collect keys for the first half of the game? Because that's essentially all you do in RE2's first hour and a half.

And lol at listing 'dodge move' as a criticism.

Goldsickle posted...
In addition to Nemesis toting a firearm, he also drops items upon defeat.

A hint of things to come.

RE3 is also the first RE to have a human opponent, where you take on Nicholai where he shoots at you while riding a chopper. Probably also the first RE to have a helicopter boss fight.

The Tryant in RE2 dropped items if you chose to combat him as well. Nothing new with Nemesis. The parts he dropped were just more worthwhile if you decided to waste half your inventory trying to drop him to get it. The helicopter thing is just one Live Selection at the very end and you don't even have to engage it. Can't even be considered a boss fight.

Anway, RE3 is the most solid of the PSX games, imo. It added needed improvements to control without pulling a 180 on the direction of the series.
---
Ghaszaszh Nyirh. Of the Old Ones, the scrolls say that he loved the debasement of his slaves the best. And they go to him willingly.
#6GoldsicklePosted 5/14/2014 3:05:56 AM(edited)
Ghaszaszh_Nyirh posted...
The Tryant in RE2 dropped items if you chose to combat him as well. Nothing new with Nemesis.

Mr. X's drops are more RE4-6 like, because there's nothing indicating that he actually uses the ammo he carries, unless it was written somewhere that Mr. X is capable of operating firearms.

Nemesis was carrying a handgun, a shotgun and an assault rifle (first time playthrough only).
Considering how he can operate a rocket launcher, it's plausible that he uses the weapons he drops when defeated.

The helicopter thing is just one Live Selection at the very end and you don't even have to engage it. Can't even be considered a boss fight.

There are a lot of optional major battles in RE, like how you can just outrun Yawn in your first encounter or most of the Nemesis fights.
Optional or not, they can still be considered boss battles.
---
#7sbn4Posted 5/14/2014 4:54:53 AM
Agreed with this. I think I did a lot more shooting in RE3 than I did in RE1/RE2 combined.

But its actually one of my favorites in the series.
---
"No man should fight any war but his own."
#8Da DoodPosted 5/14/2014 5:07:07 AM
The classic games had progressively more action elements, but that doesn't mean they were action focused. Compared to the recent games, RE3 is still fairly balanced between running around collecting items, exploring, solving puzzles, killing enemies and managing the inventory.

Incidentally, RE3 has the least amount of forced enemy encounters in the whole series. There are only 4 mandatory fights total, and in 3 of them you don't have to use your own ammo 'cause the environment provides an alternate solution. For what seems to be the precursor of Vanquish (judging by the whole action obsession around here), you don't really need to shoot much...
---
And this time!
#9SSJ_JinPosted 5/14/2014 5:19:26 AM
I think this "action in old games" came from clowns who defended the new games being action and now people go on the bandwagon. Nobody said this before RE6 came out.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KDXVEOqj8
http://antir.site90.net/
#10GoldsicklePosted 5/14/2014 5:44:16 AM
SSJ_Jin posted...
Nobody said this before RE6 came out.

Where were you?
This was around since RE5.

The whole "action in old games" had to be pointed out, due to too many dumb Luddites and stupid nostalgia hipsters forgetting that a lot of features they hated in the new games have been long present in the older ones, in some form or another.
---