Saddest character death in the series? *SPOILERS FOR SERIES*

#31elle_sweetiePosted 6/11/2014 7:51:38 AM
sbn4 posted...
Couldn't the same thing be argued for Chris? Bad writing caused his entire team to die so it could develop him? And comparing Chris and Sherry in such a manner doesn't make any sense. Chris is the captain of a team of soldiers who are directly fighting in a war while Sherry is a lone agent (which is dumb to begin with) sent to recover one man. Her being a damsel kind of contradicts the fact that you said she can handle herself.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here. Ultimately I think both Sherry and Chris suffer from bad writing in the game (Sherry as the damsel and Chris turning into the alcoholic just to give him a reason to act like a jerk for most of his scenario).

The thing is despite being the damsel Sherry does make it all the way through the game along with Jake and yes I know that's due mainly to her plot armour. Chris on the other hand not only lost his squad but would have died himself had Piers not made the sacrifice to save him but again Chris has is own form of plot armour. Capcom certainly aren't going to kill him off so other characters get killed instead all to "develop" his character.

sbn4 posted...
You are comparing two characters who have plot armor (Jake/Sherry) to a bunch of NPCs on Chris' team who are likely to die to help develop Chris/Piers relationship. No way is Capcom going to kill a pretty lead female character and the son of Wesker. And I do not find Sherry more competent than Chris. Chris/Piers not only helped Jake and Piers, but Chris and Piers stopped the most imminent threat in the game after Carla died. Also, I feel Chris has experienced more turmoil than Sherry has. So I feel his reactions and behavior make sense.

No I am comparing Jake and Sherry to Chris and Piers. Just those four characters. I mentioned nothing about NPC's and really bringing them into it makes it more unfair to Jake and Sherry since Chris had a whole squad at his disposal. They only had each other.

Experiencing more turmoil than someone else doesn't make them more any more competent. Granted it might make some of his reactions and behaviour to make sense in RE6 but the fact of the matter is he was the Captain and as you said made rash decisions. Having someone with that disposition lead a team is obviously a recipe for disaster which is indeed one did happen. Do I think he was a good Captain in the past? Definitely and I think he would be again at the end of RE6. But during the events of the game no I don't think he was a good Captain hence why I said I think Piers would have made the far better Captain even if it was only temporary until Chris had regained some of his composure.
#32IlDankoPosted 6/11/2014 8:22:03 AM
Stover46 posted...
IlDanko posted...
Do you even read the files in the game? He didn't got amnesia because he became alcoholic, he got his amnesia thanks to Napad Finn hitting his head. he woke up in a hospital without any idea of who he was or what happened, only with a sense of guilt he couldn't explain, and to escape it he turned to the drink.

The poor writing was the fact that Jill and Claire left him alone during this.

And that's what annoyed me the most..

Especially for Claire, I mean in the past she lost communication with him for a pair of weeks and she was already searching for him in Raccoon and then in nothing more than a facility of the corporation that's hunting him.. In Paris.

Now here he suddenly goes missing for 6 months and the only ones to care are Piers and Sheva?
---
Can you feel the poison rising?
PSN: Dan21993
#33sbn4Posted 6/11/2014 8:51:27 AM
The thing is despite being the damsel Sherry does make it all the way through the game along with Jake and yes I know that's due mainly to her plot armour. Chris on the other hand not only lost his squad but would have died himself had Piers not made the sacrifice to save him but again Chris has is own form of plot armour. Capcom certainly aren't going to kill him off so other characters get killed instead all to "develop" his character.

Dunno if that's true. A lot of people have been speculating that Chris may get killed. Including mean people like Danko who say he will die if Jill/Claire are in the same game as Chris.

No I am comparing Jake and Sherry to Chris and Piers. Just those four characters. I mentioned nothing about NPC's and really bringing them into it makes it more unfair to Jake and Sherry since Chris had a whole squad at his disposal. They only had each other.

Well, you mentioned Chris got his squad killed. Which is why I bought the NPCs in the first place. I don't think that's the case honestly. Carla killed Chris' men, not Chris. Chris may have had a whole squad, but he was pretty much in the front lines when he lost his men both times. Sherry and Jake were not. Even in the opening sequences of Jake's campaign, you see BSAA troops fighting and Sherry/Jake avoiding most of it. And when was the last time in Resident Evil (outside CVX) where an army of soldiers are more capable than a duo consisting of plot armored main characters? Remember the RE3 intro? An entire squad of RPD soldiers and mercenaries got slaughtered by standard zombies. But Jill and Carlos survived Nemesis and more.

Experiencing more turmoil than someone else doesn't make them more any more competent. Granted it might make some of his reactions and behaviour to make sense in RE6 but the fact of the matter is he was the Captain and as you said made rash decisions. Having someone with that disposition lead a team is obviously a recipe for disaster which is indeed one did happen. Do I think he was a good Captain in the past? Definitely and I think he would be again at the end of RE6. But during the events of the game no I don't think he was a good Captain hence why I said I think Piers would have made the far better Captain even if it was only temporary until Chris had regained some of his composure.

Well, you have a point that he wasn't at his best when he was angry. Chris has been a pretty emotional character in the series as I mentioned. I'm sure anger and revenge would consume the best of us at that point. I actually felt Piers' reaction was a little underwhelming considering his age. Also, he gets heated over petty insults Jake swings his way, but doesn't show as much anger when people he considers family dies. Chris was the opposite which makes more sense. But I think Piers temporarily demoting him might have been a good idea. But it wouldn't have stopped how Chris felt. Plus, you could tell that Piers maybe even feared Chris a little bit. It reminds me a lot of Helena actually. People hate Helena for what she did when she was just used by Simmons. Similarly, Chris was manipulated and seems to get flak for that.
---
"No man should fight any war but his own."
#34elle_sweetiePosted 6/11/2014 10:30:27 AM
sbn4 posted...
Dunno if that's true. A lot of people have been speculating that Chris may get killed. Including mean people like Danko who say he will die if Jill/Claire are in the same game as Chris.

Well, you mentioned Chris got his squad killed. Which is why I bought the NPCs in the first place. I don't think that's the case honestly. Carla killed Chris' men, not Chris. Chris may have had a whole squad, but he was pretty much in the front lines when he lost his men both times. Sherry and Jake were not. Even in the opening sequences of Jake's campaign, you see BSAA troops fighting and Sherry/Jake avoiding most of it. And when was the last time in Resident Evil (outside CVX) where an army of soldiers are more capable than a duo consisting of plot armored main characters? Remember the RE3 intro? An entire squad of RPD soldiers and mercenaries got slaughtered by standard zombies. But Jill and Carlos survived Nemesis and more.

I just can't see Capcom killing off their Resident Evil poster boy. You do make a good point about Jake and Sherry being out of the thick of the action but that's the problem with horror games though isn't it? The phrase "safety in numbers" gets thrown out of the window.

I do partly agree with you on Chris not being responsible for his squad's death. In the case of his first squad definitely that was all on Carla and there was nothing he really could have done to prevent it since he had no idea who she was at the time. However his second squad is an entirely different matter and Chris does have to take some blame for that. Piers even calls him out on it as well if I remember correctly about how some of the soldier's deaths could have been prevented had he been not so angry and fixated with getting revenge on Carla. Honestly to me that was the point when I finally wanted Piers to just take command there and then.

I do agree about Piers' lack of emotion considering all his squadmates were dying but I think at that point he was more concerned and worried for Chris' well-being, emotionally that is. Actually on that topic I do disagree about Piers being afraid of Chris. If anything I think it was clearly the opposite. He respected Chris a great deal and due to that respect he didn't do what he should have done and that would be to take temporary command which could have led to a far different ending.
#35IlDankoPosted 6/11/2014 11:13:18 AM
sbn4 posted...

elle_sweetie posted...
I just can't see Capcom killing off their Resident Evil poster boy.

It will happen and y'all will remember me every time you watch the scene over and over again.

We won't like it, but it won't stop it from happening.

And I'm not mean D:
---
#36sbn4Posted 6/11/2014 11:27:09 AM
Elle, I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I personally did not like much of Sherry's representation in this game. Outside of looking really good in her EX outfit, I think she was a missed opportunity. And she was not an interesting character to boot. So maybe I'm a tad biased against her. I did like the cabin and locker cutscenes though.

On the other hand, I relate to Chris fairly well. I was in the service and I can understand most of his feeling. I personally feel he's the most developed character in the series. And even though RE6 kind of repeated the same plot arc from RE5, I think RE6 made him a better character. But it was nice talking to someone who can lay out their thoughts well.

And Danko, ever watch that Family Guy episode where Stewie watches a Will Farrell movie and then flies all the way to LA to punch him? Now imagine I'm Stewie and you're Will Farrell. That's what's going to happen if Chris ever dies. >:)
---
#37elle_sweetiePosted 6/11/2014 12:33:19 PM
Yes sbn I think we should probably agree to disagree. But like you said it's great to talk to someone and actually have an intelligent dispute, nay even a conversation without all the baseless name calling that can be so prevalent on these forums.

And okay since you admitted being biased yourself, maybe I myself am a tad biased toward Piers. But really though aside from him looking really nice in his Racing suit I do think he fairs a lot better in the game, character development wise, than a lot of the other characters. I think the one thing we can perhaps agree on is that there is a fair amount of bad writing in this game and all the characters suffer from it to varying degrees.

I should also stress that Chris was my favourite character up until this game. On the one hand from a gameplay perspective he still is my favourite character but in terms of story I do think the writing really let him down here. Hopefully RE7 will redeem this and propel him back to the top spot. It's just such a shame that Piers had to be a casualty of the war as I would have really liked to see the two interact some more now that Chris has regained his composure, and more importantly to see the interactions with better writing, but that's not going to be the case now unfortunately.
#38IlDankoPosted 6/11/2014 12:52:22 PM
elle_sweetie posted...
It's just such a shame that Piers had to be a casualty of the war as I would have really liked to see the two interact some more now that Chris has regained his composure, and more importantly to see the interactions with better writing, but that's not going to be the case now unfortunately.

Well... They can always make a game based on the Marhawa Desire comics... I've heard they're pretty good.

sbn4 posted...
And Danko, ever watch that Family Guy episode where Stewie watches a Will Farrell movie and then flies all the way to LA to punch him? Now imagine I'm Stewie and you're Will Farrell. That's what's going to happen if Chris ever dies. >:)

Well then... I'll be waiting :D
---
#39Balloon-GirlPosted 6/12/2014 7:12:21 AM
Never really get sad from any of the deaths. I was severely disappointed that they killed off Peirs when he could have been the perfect character to take over Chris's spot. Instead we have to endure with more of Mr. Redfield.
---
Cause though the truth may vary this, ship will carry our bodies to shore.
#40sbn4Posted 6/12/2014 7:57:44 AM
Elle, I think Pier's death was bittersweet. Chris had just come back to his former self. He found clarity and was on the right path, but then he lost his last man. I think Chris' campaign was the best because of this. There was an actual arcs and some form of development. And actually a decent boss fight and ending scene. All the other campaigns were terrible from a gameplay AND story stand point. I think killing Chris would have made no sense at this point. Also, Piers biting the bullet was pretty unexpected as the cutscene in the elevator (one of my favorite scenes) made it seem like Chris was in fact stepping down.

And as far as Chris goes, I still like him quiet a bit as I'm sure you've deduced. I apologize if I got jumpy on you. But I do hope that Chris does return and doesn't die. I think if another Chris/Claire game is made, they could do wonders for both characters.
---