Re...resident evil has changed...

#51NewsBotPosted 6/27/2014 2:57:50 AM
Goldsickle posted...
NewsBot posted...
The term "Survival Horror" and its meaning was coined by Shinji Mikami. Being the person who named the genre gives him the benefit of deciding what the term means. It means a horror game with the ability to defend yourself.

Is there any interview or data where he explicitly stated that as the definition of "Survival Horror"?

Yes. I can't recall the exact one, but I'm sure you can find it among here: http://projectumbrella.net/articles/Developer-Interview-Database
#52GoldsicklePosted 6/27/2014 5:46:07 AM
NewsBot posted...
Yes. I can't recall the exact one, but I'm sure you can find it among here: http://projectumbrella.net/articles/Developer-Interview-Database

I guess I'll just have to sift through these.

Reading one of the interviews, I thought it's weird that Shinji changed from first person to third-person with dynamic camera angles to "heighten the suspense".
There are a lot of nice first-person view horror games.

I dunno if you archived it but there was another interview for RE4 where he changed his mind, thinking that the camera is better if it's behind the player.
---
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)
#53NewsBotPosted 6/27/2014 6:24:33 AM
That's right, and he got the idea for the behind-the-back camera from the version of BIO4 that he didn't direct. Originally the behind-the-back camera was optional, exclusive to aiming and not as "free."
#54GoldsicklePosted 6/27/2014 8:28:55 AM
NewsBot posted...
That's right, and he got the idea for the behind-the-back camera from the version of BIO4 that he didn't direct. Originally the behind-the-back camera was optional, exclusive to aiming and not as "free."

I always thought he got it from testing a demo version of Onimusha 3.
---
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)
#55GiftedACIIIPosted 6/27/2014 12:59:48 PM
juzzieb posted...
"Im all for horror and its subgenres being opinions and not to be looked too deeply into. It's the imbeciles since the release of RE5 (since when RE4 was released people for the most part was satisfied with the enjoyable gameplay) that treat their widely varied views on survival horror as fact."

GiftedACIII, you are the only one doing this. You telling people they should like RE6 as much or more than the old ones because of your factual opinion (lol factual opinions) on it being a true survival horror game.

Internet is going to hell because of people like you, just shut up and let people enjoy what they want too FFS.

Where on earth did you get that? People are fine to have whatever opinion they want on games. I myself think RE6 was only mediocre.
I'm not saying they should like RE6 more or think it's scarier. I'm saying they should stop behaving around like the old REs were objectively the epitome of horror, that only "true fans" would understand that, that they're part of some survival horror master race with more refined taste than the masses, and only mindless kids can enjoy the later series. Notice I never said once that my opinion was fact.
---
Only a complete moron would commit the same violation over and over even after being warned for it
#56BlueSalvationPosted 6/27/2014 3:53:44 PM
GiftedACIII posted...

Where on earth did you get that? People are fine to have whatever opinion they want on games. I myself think RE6 was only mediocre.
I'm not saying they should like RE6 more or think it's scarier. I'm saying they should stop behaving around like the old REs were objectively the epitome of horror, that only "true fans" would understand that, that they're part of some survival horror master race with more refined taste than the masses, and only mindless kids can enjoy the later series. Notice I never said once that my opinion was fact.

People are fine to have whatever opinion they want on games but should stop behaving like the old Resident Evil's are the epitome of horror? That's their opinion, is it not? You support people to have "whatever" opinion only if it doesn't conflict with yours? That is contradictory. Even if they treat it as fact it still remains an opinion. They just feel really strongly about it. The same as you.
---
Claire: Thanks. I'll do that.
Steve: Hey. I was just kidding. There's no way he can get here, even if he is your brother.
#57GiftedACIIIPosted 6/27/2014 4:38:17 PM(edited)
BlueSalvation posted...
GiftedACIII posted...

People are fine to have whatever opinion they want on games but should stop behaving like the old Resident Evil's are the epitome of horror? That's their opinion, is it not? You support people to have "whatever" opinion only if it doesn't conflict with yours? That is contradictory. Even if they treat it as fact it still remains an opinion. They just feel really strongly about it. The same as you.

I thought someone would say something like that and so I'll just say, no it's not about an opinion, that's about the attitude. If you want to go that deep into the "feels strongly" territory, you can say literally everything in the world is an opinion. If someone sees that the sky is red then it is their opinion as it is what they perceive. If someone believes that he is a god then that is "his opinion". Even you saying that my opinion is an opinion is just your opinion. Opinion-ception.

So no my point is more about the narcissistic attitude. Also, the point that saying "Resident Evil is the epitome of horror is a fact" is objectively wrong. "I personally find Resident Evil the epitome of horror" is valid. Notice I had objectively before "is the epitome of survival horror". Some "opinions" are factually wrong.
---
Only a complete moron would commit the same violation over and over even after being warned for it
#58BlueSalvationPosted 6/27/2014 5:03:42 PM
And you gave me a return response full of opinion. Is that supposed to solve anything? Honestly you are acting just about as annoying as the ones you call "narcissistic." I can tell you have it out for these guys and are just unknowingly mimicking their attitudes by trying to make it only seem that they are the only ones.

The post I quoted was a direct contradiction and you attempted to cover it up by clearing up what you meant, which you should have done in the post that I quoted to avoid this. Instead of just saying "I thought someone would say something like that."

But you have a response to everything, correct? Just like the ones with the opinion that Resident Evil is the epitome of horror. You have more in common with them than you think.

I'm done here. You can pick apart this post all you want and justify yourself just like when I post to the "narcissistic" people. I won't read it.
---
Claire: Thanks. I'll do that.
Steve: Hey. I was just kidding. There's no way he can get here, even if he is your brother.
#59GiftedACIIIPosted 6/27/2014 6:26:39 PM
BlueSalvation posted...
And you gave me a return response full of opinion. Is that supposed to solve anything? Honestly you are acting just about as annoying as the ones you call "narcissistic." I can tell you have it out for these guys and are just unknowingly mimicking their attitudes by trying to make it only seem that they are the only ones.

The post I quoted was a direct contradiction and you attempted to cover it up by clearing up what you meant, which you should have done in the post that I quoted to avoid this. Instead of just saying "I thought someone would say something like that."

But you have a response to everything, correct? Just like the ones with the opinion that Resident Evil is the epitome of horror. You have more in common with them than you think.

I'm done here. You can pick apart this post all you want and justify yourself just like when I post to the "narcissistic" people. I won't read it.

You don't seem to understand the difference between opinion and fact. Me saying "RE4 and 5 is scarier than the early REs or RE is a crap survival horror is my opinion and not what I consider fact. However, someone saying "RE is the epitome of survival horror isn't my opinion, it's fact" is objectively wrong. Anyone could see that unless you happen to agree with that statement, which makes YOU the biased and illogical one, not me. Yes, I do have it out for morons who are incapable of logic, I will admit that. Are you trying to side with them?
There was no contradiction in my post you quoted. You just either skipped over or lacked the reading comprehension to notice I posted "OBJECTIVELY" before epitome of survival horror. Someone can think RE is the epitome of survival horror. But when they say it's fact, then they're the one that's wrong. Just like how Justin Bieber fans can enjoy Justin Bieber as much as they want but when they say "it's a FACT that he's the best in the world", then that's objectively false, because it isn't a fact, it's an opinion, especially because there are so many different things to judge on.
Honestly, it should be easy to follow this logic. Ironically you personally just seem to have it out on me by nitpicking small details and twisting my words.
---
#60SSJ_JinPosted 6/27/2014 6:34:31 PM
Justin Bieber is the best in the world, that is fact. Wtf is this guy smoking on?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KDXVEOqj8
http://antir.site90.net/