It must be hard catering to its "fans" with this series..

#1KINGR1PPosted 7/8/2014 12:17:05 AM
In this corner we have the fans that have been in RE's corner from the get-go! There are mean, they are insensitive, and their long drawn out rants have been going on for nearly a decade! Give it up! For the classy and sophisticated!!

"Bring back the horror Capcom! Damn it! I'm tired of shooting everything down! We want limited ammo! Even though the older games we praise had an overabundance of ammo and we could finish with a full clip for every gun on fresh playthroughs! Bring back the puzzles! Even though the puzzles were easy and took 10 minutes tops to figure out! Stop BS'n Capcom! Give us back our horror GRRRRR!!! Oh! And....."

*snatches mic*

Okay okay we get it damn! Now in the other corner we have the newer fans! They have just been established in the past few games, but they love the new series for what it is! Give it up! For the freshman class of RE! The hyperactive over action oriented fanboys!

"Do I get a gun? Just give me enemies so I can shoot. I don't care what it is. Oh, and Capcom don't listen to the old guys. They obviously don't know what fun is. Proceed with greed Capcom!"

There you have it! Give it up for the real fans of RE! More split decisions then the voting for Bush against Gore over a decade ago!...

Seriously, they're all good games. I enjoyed 6 more than I enjoyed 5. I enjoyed 4 more than I enjoyed 6. All of the classic games were astounding aside from RE CVX imo but I can understand why some would like it. RE3 is my favorite RE.

One last thing, if you all hate this game so much....why are you here..?
---
Currently Playing: SSF4AE, RE4, Fallout 3
SSF4 main: Vega Sub: Balrog Training: Cody & Sagat
#2GoldsicklePosted 7/8/2014 12:34:53 AM
Actually, Shinji & co. were getting tired of the old school style.

The changes in camera and combat mechanics were due to them wanting to break out of the usual mold.

If the "old fans" are "loyal" as they sometimes claim, shouldn't they respect the wishes of the original staff member for their directional changes?

For the record, I'm what you might consider an "old fan", since I started with the series since 1996.
But against the usual crass assumptions that old fans stick with old school, I am actually accepting the newer ones.
---
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)
#3CPU-ZPosted 7/8/2014 1:41:44 AM(edited)
ITT: TC thinks only fans who like games should occupy their boards

Look at it from a different perspective. This is the most active RE board (sadly), and is open to general discussions about other games in the series just like every other board on GameFAQs. Anyone is allowed to voice their criticisms or compliments about said game(s), and thus others can voice their opinions as well. There is no harm in discussing different variations, topics, etc. until it devolves into some kind of asinine argument/trolling/flame war/whatever text of a negative kind someone takes offense to.

I've played RE/Biohazard as long as Goldsickle has, and I have my own take on RE6 like everyone who's played it. Every RE/Bio game has been good so far, but RE6 is the first one that is horrible in almost every way. The content is less than that of RE5's, and the quality is much worse with the lack of any cohesive story, forced weapon sets, having to mod your game to actually use costumes outside of Mercs, and so many poorly implemented segments in the game that make replaying the campaigns tedious.

This doesn't mean RE6 has any saving graces. The enhanced melee system is incredible, though it would've been better if everything wasn't counter/CDG. The Mercs mode in it is incredibly fun, and brings a new take on my favorite side game in RE. It has it's fair share of flaws, but what Mercs mode doesn't? I'm not fond of Jake in any way, shape, or form (outside of his existence being retconned from the main canon), but it also opens up more of the Wesker children story for possible exploration since Jake "carries on Wesker's legacy". I personally look forward to Alex Wesker as a possible anti-hero character of sorts.

The other thing is that I enjoy almost everyone's company here. I like talking with SkinniMini1, sbn4, Goldsickle, and everyone else in a thoughtful conversation. I agree a lot with the members I've mentioned so far, but IIDanko, DanielSpace, and Unfoolish have takes on the other games and Mercs (mainly DanielSpace and Unfoolish here) that I agree with as well. Goldsickle and Newsbot's information from the developers and staff from RE are also incredibly interesting to take in. It's a good community of people (aside from drama).
#4GoldsicklePosted 7/8/2014 2:11:01 AM
CPU-Z posted...
ITT: TC thinks only fans who like games should occupy their boards

Actually, it kinda leans towards the site's policy.

A mod once said that if you hate a game and yet still hang around a forum of the hated game to make negative comments, that's considered trolling.
---
#5KINGR1P(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2014 2:34:15 AM
All I know is that I like both the old style and the new style. I run through the old ones randomly whenever I feel like it, and the new ones are good games to me.

The only thing I don't understand is how people can say RE5 was incredible yet hate on RE6 which improved on the gameplay in nearly every aspect. I'm a little biased because I was greatly disappointed in RE5 as a whole, but thoroughly enjoyed RE6.

Not to say I haven't beaten RE5 multiple times since it came out, but that doesn't mean that I don't think its the weakest entry of the 3 newer style games.
---
#6GoldsicklePosted 7/8/2014 2:47:43 AM
KINGR1P posted...
The only thing I don't understand is how people can say RE5 was incredible yet hate on RE6 which improved on the gameplay in nearly every aspect.

I like both RE5 & RE6 but I quit RE6 a bit faster.

RE6 did finally embrace modern controls but it's still done better in other games, like Metal Gear Solid 4.
The 360 analog controls of RE6 was too slippery for me, due to how the characters have 'braking animations' that overshoot where I want to stop.
Even though we were still stuck with tank controls in RE4 & RE5 (somewhat), the characters still stopped moving immediately the second I let go of the stick.

Trying to run the opposite direction or doing really sharp turns in RE6 sometimes result in the characters running in a semi-circle pattern, instead of just running directly towards where you tilted the stick.
This can be a problem in a cramped space or trying to maneuver in a place crowded with enemies.

Probably in an attempt to please the 'older fans', the level designs are mostly cramped, narrow spaces that are even more linear than before.
There are exceptions such as the Chinese mansion or the Eastern Europe stage with the giants but the stage designs were generally uninspiring here.

The boss design in RE5 had a lot of emphasis on teamwork and dividing tasks but the bosses in RE6 are mostly bullet sponges.

I enjoyed RE6 for what it offered and loved all the up-to-date mechanics improvement but they aren't implemented as well as in other games.
---
#7KINGR1P(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2014 3:17:58 AM(edited)
Goldsickle I understand where you're coming from but I played this game on PS3 and not the 360. I didn't have the same issues controlling my characters, and while gameplay mechanics were done better in other games you could argue the same thing about RE4 and RE5. Yet, they get praised but RE6 gets blazed?

RE5 boss fights were boring to me aside from the first Uroboros and one of the final fights against 2 people (people who beat the game should know but I don't wanna spoil.) I did enjoy some of the set pieces in RE5, but I happened to enjoy the set pieces in RE6 more.

I remember when I beat RE5 for the first time days after it came out, and I didn't feel the need to play through it again. That was the only time I ever felt that way about a RE game. Hell, I beat RE4 5 times back to back when it first came out on the Cube, and I beat RE6's Leon, Jake, and Chris' campaigns a few times before moving on to another game.

I stopped caring for Mercenaries after RE4. Tried it in 5 and didn't care for it, and tried it again in 6 and still was like meh but I can understand why people would like it. Its just not for me anymore I guess.

The only parts in RE6 I didn't really enjoy were finding the 3 keycard segments for one door, and the driving set pieces. Everything else was dope to me. I enjoyed how they seemed to revive Chris in his own campaign personality wise and how he handled certain situations. I enjoyed how Leon and Helena meshed together even though Leon really isn't all that memorable this time around I could care less because he had enough screen time. I enjoyed the role Ada played, and I was happy to see Sherry return. I have mixed feelings for Jake. I can take him or leave him but I do like his powers.

RE5........when I got past the motorboat part that's when I started to hate the campaign even on my first playthrough. I didn't like how Chris was basically an emotionless zombie the entire time, and how they butchered his character model for whatever reason. Sheva was hot though. They RUINED FREAKIN JILL!!! MY FAVORITE CHARACTER! When I seen what happened to her near the end I wanted to just stop playing. I hated it. I hated how Wesker ended up and how they made him into something else personality wise and aestetically. I hated how the game was in daylight, how the Lickers were bullet sponges, the poor cover system near the end of the game, the environments were beautiful but very dull to me, but I did enjoy some of the cutscenes at least.

I don't know Goldsickle...but RE5 is definitely one of my least favorite RE games of all time. I've given it multiple chances, and I really don't like it that much. I will never sell it, and I'll play through it again when I do my annual RE marathons but I never look forward to it.

At least Sheva is hot....as hell...

Edit: I should also note that I beat Code Veronica twice back to back after my first initial playthrough. I was trying to see if I could get the highest rank (forgot if it was A or S) in that game so I could get the Rocket Launcher. Came close, but failed. I place that game lower than RE5 because RE5 has more fun gameplay in my opinion, but the lackluster story is just...ugh to me.

Granted Code Veronica had my attention because of Alfred Ashford and Steve, but when their charm wore off so did the game. I never was a big fan of Claire, but I do like her as a character and want to see her return along with Jill in the next game.
---
#8Neo_LedahPosted 7/8/2014 5:23:23 AM
Eh for me this new style was pretty good, I'm a 3rd person shooter guy so :P

I think revelations was a right step though, it did give me a few jumps here and there, and early in the game I did end up running out of ammo sometimes lol
#9GoldsicklePosted 7/8/2014 5:51:42 AM
KINGR1P posted...
Goldsickle I understand where you're coming from but I played this game on PS3 and not the 360.

I meant the 360 degrees analog controls, where the characters face the direction you tilt the stick to, not like in Dead Space or RE5 where you need to manually rotate the character to run to a certain direction.

I don't know if the control scheme has an official name but it's called "2D controls" in Silent Hill, in Fatal Frame, it's called "Subjective", while the N64 version of RE2 calls it "1st person control".

It's just that games I played previously carried out this kind of control scheme much better, like in Devil May Cry 4 or Metal Gear Solid 4.

I don't know Goldsickle...but RE5 is definitely one of my least favorite RE games of all time.

It was my least favorite as well, until I reinstalled it to show my brother.

And then something happened.

I tried playing it online more often and came across awesome players to team up with.
Multiplayer was RE5's saving grace for me. I would have considered it "one of the most boring games I played" if it wasn't for the cool players I encountered.
All those awesome melee setups we'd do to kill powerful enemies while saving ammo.
And once in a while, some Japanese players would show shortcuts or alternate methods that I didn't know existed, like how killing certain enemies will prevent an "Alert mode", reducing the amount of battles.

I was hoping to reprise all those in RE6 but thanks to a lot of changes, the experience was toned down.

Like how both players have their own pickups.
It means that you don't need to share but there's also less emphasis on teamwork.

Edit: I should also note that I beat Code Veronica twice back to back after my first initial playthrough. I was trying to see if I could get the highest rank (forgot if it was A or S) in that game so I could get the Rocket Launcher.

It's A rank.
I already got it back when I was playing it on the PS2 and merely needed to repeat the same strategy for the HD version on the PS3.
But there were still muscle memory problems due to how they swapped the "cancel/run" and "confirm/attack" buttons for the PS3 version.
---
#10gantaratPosted 7/8/2014 5:59:33 AM(edited)
people complain Quality in RE 6 Than Game not survivor-horror anymore

When Capcom Release First Trailer Most people admit RE 6 it's action game again