For co-op -- this or Resident Evil 5 Gold?

#1ACAPosted 7/9/2014 10:08:44 AM
I was told RE5 has great co-op, and I'm always looking for more co-op games. I would only play this in co-op mode with the girlfriend, I have 0 time for games by myself.

I've never played any RE, so I only just realized that RE6 exists.

Which game has better co-op? Should I play 5->6? Or just 6? Or 4-5-6? Or..?
---
http://sonicawareness.net
#2IlDankoPosted 7/9/2014 10:30:11 AM
RE5 hands down
---
Crawling back to you.
PSN: Dan21993
#3BlueSalvationPosted 7/9/2014 11:33:51 AM
Why would you play Resident Evil 4 if it doesn't have co-op? 4 is not mandatory to play to enjoy/understand 5 or 6. Resident Evil 5 has the better co-op in making you actually work together and feel like a team. The co-op in Resident Evil 6 feels unnatural somehow. It's still there and still fun to play, but Resident Evil 5 does it better.
---
Claire: Thanks. I'll do that.
Steve: Hey. I was just kidding. There's no way he can get here, even if he is your brother.
#4GoldsicklePosted 7/9/2014 3:03:23 PM
RE5 has great co-op but poor controls.

RE6 has improved controls but shallow co-op.
---
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)
#5ManjiSTPPosted 7/9/2014 3:56:08 PM
Hmm, I only played RE5 for a bit before I couldn't be bothered to carry on. How was the co-op in that better than in RE6? Not only do the levels and enemies seem more interesting in 6, there's a lot of unique moments like when you're in the military jeep with Pier and Chris, or the VTOL. For what it's worth, from a story perspective, the character pairs also seem to have more chemistry than Chris and Sheva, which just didn't really have anything going on at all. (Again, this is just based on the first parts of RE5 since I didn't get into it at all).
#6StrangerSirKaiPosted 7/9/2014 4:22:11 PM(edited)
ManjiSTP posted...
Hmm, I only played RE5 for a bit before I couldn't be bothered to carry on. How was the co-op in that better than in RE6? Not only do the levels and enemies seem more interesting in 6, there's a lot of unique moments like when you're in the military jeep with Pier and Chris, or the VTOL. For what it's worth, from a story perspective, the character pairs also seem to have more chemistry than Chris and Sheva, which just didn't really have anything going on at all. (Again, this is just based on the first parts of RE5 since I didn't get into it at all).

Chris and Sheva made a fantastic duo tbqh, mostly because the writing and dramatic scaling in RE5 was much more balanced than RE6 where there are so many one liners and over the top sequences. The characters more often than not seem like cynical, annoying caricatures than actual people (especially obvious with Ada and Sherry/Jake). RE5 doesn't have great writing by any means, but Chris and Sheva come off as a lot more natural together.

RE5 is also a lot stronger in co-op because players actually have to manage and share supplies when playing online, and the method for healing/covering your teammates is way more intuitive. You can still share items in split-screen but it doesn't work nearly as well. Plus in RE5, players could outfit their respective load outs to compliment each other, whereas in RE6 players have the exact same inventories except for that character's special weapon.

And most importantly, RE5, from a design standpoint, is much more concerned with crafting sequences that are fun and balanced for both players instead of just making one player look cool (like how Sherry is thrown into the bleachers for a significant portion of her final boss fight). Even in sections where one player might have to do something more tedious, RE5 will often times at least give the players the option of who should do the puzzle element and who should fight, etc. Whereas RE6 pretty much never gives the players any choice about who engages in which activity. Plus, a lot of RE6's "co-op" driven gameplay bits are god awful vehicle segments with strict fail states or annoying ass chase sequences where players have to follow prompts to help each other up ledges.
---
Savott loves corporations everyone else hates more than I love dinosaurs. -Helix Snake
#7ManjiSTPPosted 7/9/2014 4:32:53 PM
Well doesn't RE5 have the same thing as 6 in the sense that only character A can be thrown to some place by character B, so it's always character A that has to go off and do that stuff? I can't imagine Sheva throwing Chris across a gap so he can go and pull a switch. I can remember numerous split-up parts in 6 where it varies depending on who presses the button, walks up to something first etc (e.g. the bit when Sherry or Jake fall down to the street in China).

In general though, I just remember RE5 feeling very bland. There's some generic corridor shooting, then a vehicle level, then just a boring swamp that you trudge around doing a compacted version of the Triforce Quest from Windwaker. And talking of bland, I don't remember Sheva having any personality at all. She may as well have been a mobile auto-turret. I know what you mean about how some of the RE6 bits are one-sided, like the Sherry and Jake final boss, but to be fair, that part with Jake lasts less than a minute. I'm getting it on the PS3 in a few weeks (got it on the 360 years ago) so I'll see if I feel differently about it this time around. Maybe before I was still recoiling from the RE4 and 5 "This isn't my RE" effect.
#8Da DoodPosted 7/9/2014 4:38:39 PM(edited)
ManjiSTP posted...

The thing is, those unique moments in RE6 (like the jeep) are very scripted and don't allow a lot of creative thinking. There's only the one way to solve the "puzzle", usually zero variables, and they're not very demanding to begin with. In fact, most of RE6 is like that. It's a very safe experience. It's hard to find a level where strategy pays off, and even harder to find a level where teamwork is rewarded.

RE6 is a collection of mini-scenarios. A narrow corridor, a rooftop, a turret boss, an unorthodox vehicle ride, more rarely a flat arena with no actual design to take advantage of. They're all constantly interrupted by 5-10 second cutscenes, chase/QTE sequences and excessive hand holding.

In RE5, the scenarios are super lazy, they mostly just throw 50 enemies at you and you kill everything. But you're still making a lot of decisions together (or solo), and the areas are full of platforms, obstacles, and other possibilities for tactical advantage. And because your partner is always there with you and not on some rooftop far away sniping enemies (or piloting a jet), it feels much more rewarding to fight alongside them. Both have the same risks and they have to get things done together.

And that's not even counting other aspects of the design, like RE6 forcing the same weapon loadout on everyone, RE5 ammo/supplies being shared by both players, tight inventory space, actual upgrades instead of CoD-style perks.

My RE6 co-op experience was better than solo, but it doesn't even compare to RE5 co-op IMO.
---
And this time!
#9ManjiSTPPosted 7/9/2014 4:43:55 PM(edited)
Well I definitely find the constant interruptions of mini-cutscenes very annoying. There's even one that butts in to show you the door you're meant to go through next... when you're literally about 4' from said door (in the part when Leon/Helena are racing against Chris/Piers). I was repeatedly running through that part recently to farm SPs and the little "IT'S A DOOR!", "IT'S SOMEONE PRESSING A BUTTON!" cutscenes were driving me crazy.

The weapon loadouts thing is pretty weird. In single-player it only gives the weapon to the player character. I ended up in a weird situation where I decided to use Jake on about chapter 3 or 4 and he didn't have the machine gun/grenade launcher weapon when the game told me to use it on the helicopter. That in itself, though, does sort of add some replayability as you go through with the other character to get them all the weapons too (of course, that's nothing at all to do with co-op...)

It's interesting you associate perks with CoD; to me, it's more like Fallout and various RPGs based on DnD like NWN. I think that learning skills and perks is more RPGish, whereas upgrading weapons is way more FPS-like. Not to mention, it kind of makes sense they'd be learning new skills and techniques, I'm not sure how anyone is upgrading their sniper rifle when they're in a cave under a Spanish village, or in a swamp in Africa. Can we all at least agree that the Ogroman fight in Jake 1/Chris 2 is really cool for co-op, though? I thought that was pretty amazing, myself.
#10Da DoodPosted 7/9/2014 4:47:01 PM
Don't get me wrong, there are many cool moments in RE6. And I agree, that Ogroman fight was one of the best levels in the game, especially co-op. Not surprisingly, it's also a very open area where you're just fighting enemies together, enjoying the combat and making decisions with few interruptions.
---
And this time!