New to the series, playing 4 on the gamecube right now.

#1gerkkidPosted 7/18/2014 9:25:35 AM
Having a lot of fun with 4 right now, I was wondering if 4 makes the older ones feel unplayable? I know that 4 is often regarded as the best in the series. Thinking about getting the other ones available for gamecube. What are your thoughts?
#2edward18Posted 7/18/2014 9:56:26 AM
4 is the absolute worst of the main series to me. Has nothing to do with anything else in the series, turned Leon into an ass, and changed the gameplay. As a game, yeah, it's amazing. But as an RE game it's the one that ruined what the series was.

But no, if you're a real gamer of any sort you should be able to play any of the RE games just fine. It might take some getting used to as the camera is locked in one place in the classics, but it essentially controls the same as 4 in them.

What you should've started on probably is REmake, which is the remake of the first game for the Gamecube and arguably the greatest Resident Evil game of all time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s49FPBRsC7c

Just ignore it saying Wii everywhere. It's for both systems. The best version of 4's on the Wii though.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#3Da DoodPosted 7/18/2014 10:14:00 AM
The older games play very different compared to 4, 5 and 6. There's a bigger emphasis on exploration (big environment, backtracking and collecting items), and the combat doesn't have as many options. Watch some gameplay videos on YouTube to see if they appeal to you.
---
And this time!
#4Neo_LedahPosted 7/18/2014 10:43:29 AM
I see them in different tiers. You've got the "classic" RE games (1,2,3, CVX, etc)

Then the "stop n aim" style where there's RE4 and RE5 (which personally I think were the worst ones, but that's me)

Then there's the "3rd person shooter" tier which are the newest ones: ORC, Revelations and RE6 which is my favorite :P I'm a 3rd person shooter guy.

Nevertheless, some are better than others, but all of them are good. Every single one of them.
#5slapper1Posted 7/19/2014 7:14:55 AM
Resident Evil is divided into two gameplay types: the classic style (RE1/REmake, RE2, RE3, RE0, RE Code Veronica) which use fixed camera angles, have limited supplies and have an emphasis on exploration, item management, and puzzle solving while the action style (RE4, RE5, RE6, RE Revelations) use a third person perspective with little exploration and puzzle solving but have an emphasis on combat, action set-pieces, and weapon upgrading (except for RE6). I prefer the classic RE's myself but all of them contain elements which make them fun. Just don't play RE 4 for it's story lol.
---
"Why the f*** would I kidnap my own son and pay for you f***ing r****** to find him, you psychotic b****?!
Currently OP8 on Borderlands 2.
#6horrorolfPosted 7/19/2014 7:32:35 AM
Love the classics, but 4 is also great in it's own way.
#7sadiq2010Posted 7/19/2014 9:20:00 AM
resident evil 4 is trash and garbage, it is the reason the series went downhill and destroyed.
#8Starwind128Posted 7/19/2014 9:53:49 AM
gerkkid posted...
Having a lot of fun with 4 right now, I was wondering if 4 makes the older ones feel unplayable? I know that 4 is often regarded as the best in the series. Thinking about getting the other ones available for gamecube. What are your thoughts?

I had a lot of fun with 4 when it came out, but I grew tired of it fast. I was highly anticipating the earlier build of the game, & was extremely disappointed when I found out it was being changed. Regardless I fell in love with the game for a short time, but as I said the love didn't last. However I hope you enjoy the game, its not as scary as I would like it to be, but there are a couple of things that might spook you on your first time through. One thing I can say about the GameCube version is that it gives you way more ammo than you need. The only other version of the game that I have played is the first HD release on PS3, & it seemed to give me much less ammo. I actually had to restart the game at one point.

It doesn't make the old games feel "unplayable" although the gameplay is much different. You should start with REmake, then RE2.
---
R.I.P. Resident Evil 1996-2005 You will be dearly missed.
Official Clerith of the FFVII board.
#9ManuMIASPosted 7/19/2014 8:45:56 PM
Neo_Ledah posted...
I see them in different tiers. You've got the "classic" RE games (1,2,3, CVX, etc)

Then the "stop n aim" style where there's RE4 and RE5 (which personally I think were the worst ones, but that's me)

Then there's the "3rd person shooter" tier which are the newest ones: ORC, Revelations and RE6 which is my favorite :P I'm a 3rd person shooter guy.

Nevertheless, some are better than others, but all of them are good. Every single one of them.

I totally agree with the "stop n aim", it really bothers me RE4 and RE5 being called 3rd person shooter since they are a joke... the gameplay mechanics are very stale and old. I'm glad we can walk and shoot and the same time in Revelations and RE6 but at the same time its kinda annoying u can't fire while walking, you always have to aim-shoot-walk instead of shoot-walk... its not a biggie but sometimes its good to fire with blind rate.
#10SiLVeR_420Posted 7/19/2014 9:16:16 PM
Pretty sure there's an auto aim perk in RE6
---
All hail Satsuki-sama!
Yukari Takebas biggest fan