What do you say to Haters of the "new" resident evils? btw I am an old school

#1DARQ MXPosted 1/23/2012 6:52:24 AM
RE fan just like you, I started on RE2 on ps1. Now one thing is for certain. Why are there so many "older school fans" other then me are so against and hate the new REs? aka 4, 5 and now 6.
---
Intel i5 2500k+|8GB G.Skill RipJaws|Raptor X, 1TB WD Fals|AsRock z68 Extreme 4, Gen3 |Sapphire 2GB 6950|Corsair 520W PSU|Corsair 500R |Windows 7 Pro 64
#2FreshSushiPosted 1/23/2012 6:56:59 AM
A few of them genuinely find something like REmake more enjoyable to play as it is more true to the survival horror form. Most however are just stupid and have no idea what they're talking about.
---
SSF4 AE 2012: (Dan), LoL: (DEMON KING)
RESIDENT EVIL 6 RESIDENT EVIL 6 RESIDENT EVIL 6
#3DARQ MX(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2012 7:03:27 AM
FreshSushi posted...
A few of them genuinely find something like REmake more enjoyable to play as it is more true to the survival horror form. Most however are just stupid and have no idea what they're talking about.

agree. I loved REmake too. I just have to agree that the Series needs to evolve and change. I can't effing believe my friend John want them to make RE's now a days exactly like the did for RE2 with just nice graphics. I mean yeah. It would be cool to play those games again but I don't mind a change in pace and a good zombie shooter that doesn't suck and has a great backstory and awesome characters as well as sometimes good stories.
---
Intel i5 2500k+|8GB G.Skill RipJaws|Raptor X, 1TB WD Fals|AsRock z68 Extreme 4, Gen3 |Sapphire 2GB 6950|Corsair 520W PSU|Corsair 500R |Windows 7 Pro 64
#4fenaryuuPosted 1/23/2012 7:37:11 AM
I honestly don't see TOO much of a difference between the games (excluding 6) outside of camera angle and scope. Still planted in unfamiliar territories with only your abilities to save you. Still have to pick your fights due to enemy to ammo ratio (unless you play on the easier difficulties). Same core gameplay, but with better controls.

Oh, and I'm finally able to believe that there's actually something special about STARS (RCPD, USS, and UBCS, as well). In the first several games, they were about as competent about combat situations as a random person off the street.
---
Metal Gear Online: Nidi
#5Darth VengerPosted 1/23/2012 8:08:07 AM
I think it is people looking at those old school games with rose tinted glasses. Those games are basically unplayable now. Not to mention that they were very short. I loved them at the time and RE2 was the first game I camped out for, but times have changed.

RE5 was a really good game and I liked the co-op nature of it. There were times when I had to sigh at Sheva in single player, but I never really had any major problems with the AI. I am really looking forward to Operation Racoon City since it will be an all out action game set in the RE universe. RE6 looks like it will hit a middle ground between action horror and all out action. Can't wait.
---
Hard work may pay off in the future, but laziness always pays off immediately.
#6fenaryuuPosted 1/23/2012 8:24:06 AM
Those games are basically unplayable now.

I wouldn't say THAT. They're a little dated, but there's still fun to be had.

The only thing I really miss from the old games was figuring out the "puzzles." Find an item, backtrack a bit, open a new area. The problem is... it doesn't translate too well into the new games. Spencer had his hands in way too many things in Raccoon City (and his other facilities) and it was a reflection of his eccentricity. Not the case with Spain and Africa. So, it's only natural that the locations were easier to navigate.

Not to mention that they were very short.

If you knew where everything was. Which is true for many games.
---
Metal Gear Online: Nidi
#7d1sPosted 1/23/2012 8:36:58 AM
It's not unlike people that get angry when someone compares Kobe Bryant to Michael Jordan. Jordan defenders get bark:

"No one will EVER be equal to MJ!"

Before that, people got angry when Jordan was compared to Magic:

"No one will EVER be equal to Magic Johnson!"

It's as if they fear that acknowledging Kobe's success will some how diminish MJs. I think it's the same with video games. If you like modern warfare, you are obligated to hate battlefield because someone how, liking battlefield means that there's something wrong with modern warfare, I guess.

I liked RE2, didn't care enough to try playing the original. In my mind I thought "I already know where the story goes," but that doesn't mean RE wasn't good. I liked RE3 & 4. The demo of RE5 turned me off. I also watched a retrospective video hoping to get caught up on the RE history prior to playing RE5's demo and thought "this **** is too convoluted."

I'm excited for 6. I loved figuring out how to save ammo in RE4 by shooting guys in the kneecaps and then meleeing, and using it to get the crowds off of you. Looks like 6 is going to be more of the same "figure out how to use your attacks/finesse to control the crowds/conserve ammo. I'm excited to see where they take it.
---
Currently playing: No one gives a ****.
#8DARQ MX(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2012 4:14:47 PM
d1s posted...
It's not unlike people that get angry when someone compares Kobe Bryant to Michael Jordan. Jordan defenders get bark:

"No one will EVER be equal to MJ!"

Before that, people got angry when Jordan was compared to Magic:

"No one will EVER be equal to Magic Johnson!"

It's as if they fear that acknowledging Kobe's success will some how diminish MJs. I think it's the same with video games. If you like modern warfare, you are obligated to hate battlefield because someone how, liking battlefield means that there's something wrong with modern warfare, I guess.

I liked RE2, didn't care enough to try playing the original. In my mind I thought "I already know where the story goes," but that doesn't mean RE wasn't good. I liked RE3 & 4. The demo of RE5 turned me off. I also watched a retrospective video hoping to get caught up on the RE history prior to playing RE5's demo and thought "this **** is too convoluted."

I'm excited for 6. I loved figuring out how to save ammo in RE4 by shooting guys in the kneecaps and then meleeing, and using it to get the crowds off of you. Looks like 6 is going to be more of the same "figure out how to use your attacks/finesse to control the crowds/conserve ammo. I'm excited to see where they take it.

True, but it is hard to please all the older fans. I just think it is bad that my friend who loves RE to death. Old school ones. Wants Capcom to burn to the ground after seeing this and he didn't like RE5... he is a major annoying troll. lol
---
#9Hnter2200Posted 1/23/2012 4:24:36 PM
fenaryuu posted...
I honestly don't see TOO much of a difference between the games (excluding 6) outside of camera angle and scope. Still planted in unfamiliar territories with only your abilities to save you. Still have to pick your fights due to enemy to ammo ratio (unless you play on the easier difficulties). Same core gameplay, but with better controls.

Oh, and I'm finally able to believe that there's actually something special about STARS (RCPD, USS, and UBCS, as well). In the first several games, they were about as competent about combat situations as a random person off the street.

This guy is awesome. He has a point. Only difference now a days is better camera and smoother controls. Plus you can actually see where you're aiming your weapon and granades. People argue those were selling points of the older ones and why they were scary.. It's true, the old games were scary because of touchy controls that could get you killed if you werent careful... That wasnt going to last into this generation of games though.

If you dont like the action esque RE games play through them on the higher difficulty settings, it adds a element of horror I suppose.
---
GT and PSN: Hnter2200
#10Solid_CodecPosted 1/23/2012 4:28:36 PM
I'm pretty pissed that Resident Evil: Revelations is ONLY on 3DS, I mean WTF, why would they release it only on that, they are just giving the old school fans the shaft.