two aspects that make resident evil survival horror

#1Wesker33Posted 1/29/2012 4:29:15 PM
limited ammo
-by not having any bullets any possible situation can be survival horror

get rid of this auto save nonsense
-how is a game suppose to be scary when every time you die you simply reload where you were 15 min ago?

as far as I'm concerned survival horror died with sony playstation. and it's never coming back :(
---
D rose and Toews for MVP
XBL Autistic Skills
#2GoldsicklePosted 1/29/2012 6:55:13 PM

Not everyone has 6-12 hours to spare for trial and error.

Also, auto-save does not automatically remove zombies or fetch items for you.
Combat and exploration is still something you have to do on your own.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#3Frost009Posted 1/30/2012 8:04:42 AM
I agree about the auto save, just have checkpoints for dying, few and far in between. and have save points to reach, so that if you decide to just power off the box, you wont turn it back on and go to the checkpoint, but to your last save game.
---
GamerTag:plasmaX95 PSN:xEternalxBlazex
#4gobuffalo30Posted 1/30/2012 10:22:33 AM
-how is a game suppose to be scary when every time you die you simply reload where you were 15 min ago?

I'm supposed to be more scared because I can't autosave? How is saving a game less scary? Another game that reminds me of autosave lengths: BF3. That was some of the most infuriating moments when I had to constantly restart a long section of a single level.
#5SephirothIsKingPosted 1/30/2012 10:29:59 AM

I still like the new RE games (4 & 5), but old school RE is my favorite.  Since you mentioned the auto save feature, I remember like 13 years ago playing the B scenario of RE2 with Claire and I was trying to go through the game without saving for a good rank and I got killed by William in the first fight with him when he's carrying the steel pipe.  I remember being so ticked haha.

#6pillerofautumnPosted 1/30/2012 11:11:01 AM

I'm supposed to be more scared because I can't autosave? How is saving a game less scary? Another game that reminds me of autosave lengths: BF3. That was some of the most infuriating moments when I had to constantly restart a long section of a single level.

Cause what it means. If you die, that means you have to restart a long section again. That means that you're wary of whatever is around the corner, and more likely to run when things get bad. Makes the scary, scarier.

And the ammo bit is self explanatory. Basically, I agree with this topic. But throw in limited inventory. That way you have to weigh your options and think about what you might need for the road ahead. Like in real life. Instead of having that infinite carrying case known as your pocket, you'd have to carry the essentials. Makes surviving that much harder and harrowing.

Not everyone has 6-12 hours to spare for trial and error.

What is this 6-12 hours business? You shouldn't be dying that much and if you are, probably save more often. In the old RE games where you had to use a typewriter, if you died, the most time you lost was like 30 minutes since there were so many typewriters. And usually typewriters right before bosses.

I mean, most RE games didn't even last 6-12 hours.
#7psyduck151Posted 1/30/2012 11:16:02 AM
I would like to see the return of ink ribbons though it wont happen.
---
go leafs go!!
#8GoldsicklePosted 1/30/2012 6:28:04 PM

What is this 6-12 hours business? You shouldn't be dying that much and if you are, probably save more often. In the old RE games where you had to use a typewriter, if you died, the most time you lost was like 30 minutes since there were so many typewriters. And usually typewriters right before bosses.

You have to consider various types of players.

Not everyone is capable of evading zombies perfectly or able to find Ink Ribbons to save.
Sometimes, there are players who wander around, not knowing what to do and could only progress little by little, then dying before they could save, wasting an hour or two's worth of progress.

Features like saving anytime after a checkpoint or auto-save increases the accessibility so that there are less frustration.

Oh and before you make assumptions that I 'suck' at the older games, I am quite perfectly capable of finishing the classics with the highest rank (A-S) or beat them under certain times (under three hours for the first and it's remake).
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#9adept89Posted 1/31/2012 4:56:26 AM
I'd be fine with bringing back typewriter saving, but save the ink ribbons for a Hardcore/Survival Mode or something.

(Admittedly, most of the problems brought up by the RE purists could be solved in a manner similar to this, and Capcom could make a killing by offering it as DLC.)
---
Heavypress.
Troopers should deal fall damage to the ground. - Voidgolem
#10pillerofautumnPosted 1/31/2012 6:53:11 AM

I'd be fine with bringing back typewriter saving, but save the ink ribbons for a Hardcore/Survival Mode or something.

(Admittedly, most of the problems brought up by the RE purists could be solved in a manner similar to this, and Capcom could make a killing by offering it as DLC.)

I bought that crap DLC that has 1 monster in it that's like 30 minutes long if you take it slows, just cause you can unlock the old camera angle, and it looked like a remake of the REmake.