Why did RE4-5(I guess other REs) have no moving and shooting until now

#1macarena69Posted 2/9/2012 9:28:57 AM
It's pretty clear the last two games compensate for this by having enemies that take their time and give you plento of opportunity to escape or attack, and the invincibility frames for the player. You could just add moving and make the enemies not stand around until tehy feel like attacking.
---
Sno's ball and chain
#2DarkSymbiotePosted 2/9/2012 10:02:08 AM
I remember watching a video where Chris keeps aim at a large group of Majini and all of them sidestep at once. Felt like a Thriller spin-off.
---
You can fight like a Krogan, run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.
#3BrockSolidPosted 2/9/2012 11:04:26 AM
Because it's a big tension adder. For every second you stand there, attacking your foes, they get closer and closer. It's basically a risk/reward situation. On one hand, if you run, you might get away easily. On the other, you'll be able to kill them for good, but you risk dying.
#4BrownPackPosted 2/9/2012 11:52:48 AM
BrockSolid posted...
Because it's a big tension adder. For every second you stand there, attacking your foes, they get closer and closer. It's basically a risk/reward situation. On one hand, if you run, you might get away easily. On the other, you'll be able to kill them for good, but you risk dying.

As he said. If you could move and shoot, it would be a lot less scarier. And how are you even sure that you can move and shoot in RE6?
---
Five, one two three four FiF
#5EzraGenesisPosted 2/9/2012 11:56:55 AM
Because they wanted to? Why go with tank controls? Dead Space you can move and shoot and I still found that game scarier than RE4 and 5.
---
Any Tree Can Drop An Apple. I'll Drop The Freaking Moon
PSN: EzraGenesis
#6ateronPosted 2/9/2012 1:41:18 PM

Where has it been confirmed that you can walk and SHOOT?
From what iīve seen on the trailer, and multiple trailer analysis we only see Leon moving while aiming. Iīm guessing that in order to shoot, the character has to remain stationary. I think that should balance action/tension.

Of course,if they manage to make the enemies more intelligent/agressive/organized there shoulnīt be a need to handicap the player by not being allowed to move and shoot. Since were dealing with the not-so-bright average zombie here, it doesnīt seem likely..

As long as they donīt allow run and gun ā la CoD, iīm fine with it. Thatīs what ORC is for, me thinks.

#7shotgunheadshotPosted 2/9/2012 2:15:36 PM(edited)
Their is definintly going be moving and shooting. Thank goodness. Revelations, 3DS mercenaries and ORC all have walking and shooting. What the heck is the point of adding move and shoot in those games but not in re6. So re6 should have moving and shooting. If you look closely in the re6 trailer you can actually see Leon for less than a couple of seconds moving and shooting at the same time. Good chance re6 will have moving and shooting. Forcing to stand to shoot all the time is just annoying and dumb.
#8macarena69(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2012 2:35:59 PM
It doesn't add to the tension if the enemies hold themselves back to allow you to have the clunky control scheme. The whole point is that if you let them attack in a realistic fashion, it compensates for moving. Besides, in traditional RE, you dodged half the zombies out of lack of ammo, and in 4-5 you basically ran circles around ganado even if they ran, because there were so many pauses before they attacked.
---
Sno's ball and chain
#9ateronPosted 2/9/2012 2:46:03 PM

I agree, but that is not the point. I am an old school RE player, and yet i love both the "new" and "old" RE. I donīt particulary *prefer* the idea of standing still to shoot, i just think it is a necessity because the enemies are way too dumb to be a threat without that "feature". IF they make RE6īs enemies smarter and more agressive, iīm all for it, of course!

But if they remain dumb as always, wouldnīt that make the game too easy? You can say "you donīt have to move if you donīt want to" but it wouldnīt be right, seeing how the game might be developed around the concept of moving&shooting this time around..

If theyīre as dumb as the previous enemies, it might end up making things way too easy. RE never allowed the player to move and shoot (until recently) not because of the "fear element" but simply because of lazy design/slow and dumb enemies, adding it would be a game breaker. With the majini and ganados they add no excuse not to add it, yet they didnīt: because they were still dumb. I donīt know how theyīre gonna make *zombies* smarter than majini/ganado.

I think they need to do a complete AI overhaul for this system to work and yet be challenging on the player. But iīm all for it!

#10macarena69(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2012 2:59:56 PM
Dude, this isn't about AI intelligence. They just need to move towards you and attack. I'm saying they are literally holding themselves back so you can do your little tank control thing. In RE4-5, you would be surrounded by ganado and they would just stand around and attack maybe one at a time. And when they ran to you, they had to start walking, then running, then slow down when they get near, then walk to you, THEN attack after they waited their turn. Then you also have invincibility frames like when you do melee attacks or do actions. Half the time you are surrounded by enemies who half ass their attack when they would tear you to peices if they all attacked at once and quickly

All they need to do is make them move towards you in a more natural way, and attack when they get in range, instead of taking turns one by one. You do not need advanced shooter AI for that.
---
Sno's ball and chain