Go ahead and kill me, but 4 is my least favorite

#1GreatJallopiPosted 4/16/2012 6:41:41 AM
It was the first I played, I'll admit, but I just plain hated the story. The Las Plagas thing was was ridiculous, and one thing I have to give 5 credit for is attempting to tie 4 into the story.

Leon isn't a "badass" like everyone says. He has really lame dialogue and a really annoying cocky attitude, accompanied by the haircut of a teenage boy. I liked him in RE2 when he seemed like a normal person.

I mean, change Leon and Ada to different characters and remove the name "Wesker" and "Raccoon City" from the dialogue, and it's not even Resident Evil anymore. At least 5 tried to go back to the main storyline.

The other thing I hate is how a lot of fans of 4 just can't accept when people don't like it, and they can't see why. I feel like 4 ruined the series, but that's just me.
---
I am the cheese. I am the best character on the show. I am better than both the salami and the bologna combined.
#2Cloud576Posted 4/16/2012 6:58:22 AM
Actually, based on how most people who come to these boards feel the exact same way as you (except that you have something nice to say about 5 at all) I would expect you'll get a lot of positive feedback from your comment.

Not from me however. I loved 4 and believe you are wrong. But to each his own. It is all a matter of opinion, something which is frequently forgotten in video game forums.
---
"I wear a stetson now. Stetson's are cool."
#3biomanPosted 4/16/2012 6:59:14 AM
For me, 4 just has so much more atmosphere and loneliness than 5. I really like how explore and move naturally through each environment. From the village to the castle etc. It feels like you are really traveling far on an epic quest.

5 just feels like you are constantly hopping around to different locations with no connections.
---
Raise The Fist of The Metal Child!
#4Plant42Posted 4/16/2012 7:05:32 AM
I think 4 had a better story and atmosphere than 5. I also like how it is only one player and the inventory and upgrade system is better. RE5 was just horrible. Now I fear every future RE characters will just have a bunch of generic military characters that get killed off one by one. To me 5 felt like the death of good new character designs.
#5Ravenor12345678Posted 4/16/2012 7:12:56 AM
GreatJallopi posted...
It was the first I played, I'll admit, but I just plain hated the story. The Las Plagas thing was was ridiculous, and one thing I have to give 5 credit for is attempting to tie 4 into the story.

Leon isn't a "badass" like everyone says. He has really lame dialogue and a really annoying cocky attitude, accompanied by the haircut of a teenage boy. I liked him in RE2 when he seemed like a normal person.

I mean, change Leon and Ada to different characters and remove the name "Wesker" and "Raccoon City" from the dialogue, and it's not even Resident Evil anymore. At least 5 tried to go back to the main storyline.

The other thing I hate is how a lot of fans of 4 just can't accept when people don't like it, and they can't see why. I feel like 4 ruined the series, but that's just me.

To each their own.

Personally i felt that prior to Resident Evil 4 the series was becoming stale. Without the revamp that Resident Evil 4 provided it's doubtful there would still be a series for us to debate about being ruined.
#6desi_shinobiPosted 4/16/2012 7:18:55 AM
Much as I loved the RE prior to 4. RE4 was an amazing accomplishment and I liked Leon Kennedy in that game portayed as a cokey badass spouting cheesy one-liners like DMC Dante.
---
PSN - desishinobi
XBL - Desi Shinobi
#7atma6Posted 4/16/2012 7:18:55 AM
It seems to me you are very attached to the old RE games, so by definition RE4 would not be your favourite, as it did something very different. I would disagree with you on RE5 though. I would rather a game, which didn't mess with the story, than one which turned Wesker into some stupid supervillain, Chris into a lifeless drone, and Jill into a damsel.
---
Mistranslations for the Modern Gamer
http://mistranslationformg.blogspot.com/
#8GreatJallopi(Topic Creator)Posted 4/16/2012 8:19:10 AM
atma6 posted...
It seems to me you are very attached to the old RE games, so by definition RE4 would not be your favourite, as it did something very different. I would disagree with you on RE5 though. I would rather a game, which didn't mess with the story, than one which turned Wesker into some stupid supervillain, Chris into a lifeless drone, and Jill into a damsel.

Well, as I said, I played 4 first. I only started playing the series my senior year of high school, which was two years ago. The order I played the main series games was 4, 2, 5, REmake, 0, 3, (1 in its original form), CV, Revelations. It's not even like I didn't give the new stuff a chance, since 2 of my first 3 RE games were RE4 or later. Maybe it's because I loved 90s adventure games that required investigation and exploration, like Monkey Island and King's Quest, and early RE was very similar to that in style with the exception of less dialogue and actual combat.

To be fair, Chris never had a personality. Also to be fair, Wesker was becoming a supervillain by the time of CV (although I didn't really know any of this since 4 [in Ada's story] and 5 were the first times I saw Wesker, as I hadn't played 1 or CV by that point). I agree with you on Jill though. They butchered her.

All in all I think I would have enjoyed 5 MUCH more if I had played the entire series up to that point by then. As for 4, you basically don't even need to play the earlier ones, and the only OMG moment from playing past ones is when Ada appears.
---
I am the cheese. I am the best character on the show. I am better than both the salami and the bologna combined.
#9atma6Posted 4/16/2012 1:02:22 PM
GreatJallopi posted...

Well, as I said, I played 4 first. I only started playing the series my senior year of high school, which was two years ago. The order I played the main series games was 4, 2, 5, REmake, 0, 3, (1 in its original form), CV, Revelations. It's not even like I didn't give the new stuff a chance, since 2 of my first 3 RE games were RE4 or later. Maybe it's because I loved 90s adventure games that required investigation and exploration, like Monkey Island and King's Quest, and early RE was very similar to that in style with the exception of less dialogue and actual combat.

To be fair, Chris never had a personality. Also to be fair, Wesker was becoming a supervillain by the time of CV (although I didn't really know any of this since 4 [in Ada's story] and 5 were the first times I saw Wesker, as I hadn't played 1 or CV by that point). I agree with you on Jill though. They butchered her.

All in all I think I would have enjoyed 5 MUCH more if I had played the entire series up to that point by then. As for 4, you basically don't even need to play the earlier ones, and the only OMG moment from playing past ones is when Ada appears.

I didn't mean to imply that you had to start with something to be attached to it, or to say that is a bad thing in anyway, or imply that you can't enjoy the new ones (You clearly liked RE5). I'm attached to the old Fallouts and started with 3. You seem very attached to the main RE storyline, which is why you said you would have enjoyed RE5 more if you had played them first.

We can all agree that RE isn't a masterpiece of storytelling, and I do concede the point that Chris never had a personality (Although give me that he was less Jill-obsessed). Wesker I would still argue with you on. While showing off his power in CVX, he was still a schemer, who was hinted to have some grand plan. Instead we got destroy the world evolution crap. I really think such an integral character deserved better.

4 is completely divorced from the main continuity, as you said, and is really more of a set up to greater events (Plagas, Wesker, Ada). I think it would bother people less if it was simply a side story game and CV got the coveted 4 title. Nevertheless, do recognize that its lack of RE main story elements can be considered to be a plus to many people. You aren't fond of it because you seem to enjoy the main RE continuity, which is perfectly fine. It's not like you are saying RE4 is a bad game, simply that it is your least favourite in a relatively strong series.
---
Mistranslations for the Modern Gamer
http://mistranslationformg.blogspot.com/
#10GreatJallopi(Topic Creator)Posted 4/16/2012 1:19:56 PM
atma6 posted...
GreatJallopi posted...

I didn't mean to imply that you had to start with something to be attached to it, or to say that is a bad thing in anyway, or imply that you can't enjoy the new ones (You clearly liked RE5). I'm attached to the old Fallouts and started with 3. You seem very attached to the main RE storyline, which is why you said you would have enjoyed RE5 more if you had played them first.

We can all agree that RE isn't a masterpiece of storytelling, and I do concede the point that Chris never had a personality (Although give me that he was less Jill-obsessed). Wesker I would still argue with you on. While showing off his power in CVX, he was still a schemer, who was hinted to have some grand plan. Instead we got destroy the world evolution crap. I really think such an integral character deserved better.

4 is completely divorced from the main continuity, as you said, and is really more of a set up to greater events (Plagas, Wesker, Ada). I think it would bother people less if it was simply a side story game and CV got the coveted 4 title. Nevertheless, do recognize that its lack of RE main story elements can be considered to be a plus to many people. You aren't fond of it because you seem to enjoy the main RE continuity, which is perfectly fine. It's not like you are saying RE4 is a bad game, simply that it is your least favourite in a relatively strong series.

Exactly. 4 wasn't bad to me at all. In fact, before playing the rest of the series I loved 4. I was saying it was my favorite game until I played the rest.
---