Has anyone read the S.D Perry RE books?

#1MasterAdeptAlexPosted 6/4/2012 3:44:26 PM
I'm currently rereading through all of them and so far. I've read Zero Hour, The Umbrella Conspiracy, and Caliban Cove (Finished reading it today) and now I'm on City of the Dead. But the order of the books gets somewhat confusing between CotD, Nemesis, and Underworld. CotD starts with Jill packing up in her house and getting ready to infiltrate Umbrella's HQ in Australia with Chris and Barry. But from what I remember from the games chronological order. RE3 takes place before RE2 until Jill gets infected by Nemey at the Clock Tower, then RE2 takes place. So why did Perry start CotD with Jill leaving the City, when in the games, Jill was in Raccoon City the whole time and never left, but by some means shes in the RC during the RE3 book despite her leaving RC at the beginning of CotD?
---
"Hey someone help bat baby up off the floor." The Joker in Batman Arkham Asylum
#2specialkid8Posted 6/4/2012 4:09:51 PM
It's been years since I've read them but they don't follow exactly along the line of the games so... I wouldn't think about it too much.
#3jawskingPosted 6/4/2012 4:20:05 PM
They arent canon good reads however
---
Resident Evil 6 October 2, 2012
XBL GT: Prototype614
#4MasterAdeptAlex(Topic Creator)Posted 6/4/2012 4:52:59 PM
I agree, they a good reads. I wonder why she didn't bother making RE4 and 5 books.
---
"Hey someone help bat baby up off the floor." The Joker in Batman Arkham Asylum
#5RE2LeonSPosted 6/4/2012 4:57:49 PM
They're better than the new Resident Evil games. I needed some classic Resident Evil fix when Resident Evil started to jump off a cliff and kill itself, and those books were pretty damn good
---
If you're going to buy a Capcom title, buy it USED! GamerTag - RE2LeonS
#6mortal118Posted 6/4/2012 5:24:22 PM
The events of RE2 & RE3 coincide and overlap so that's why City of the Dead and Nemesis books are a little disjointed. Think of it this way: RE 3: Nemesis' story starts first, and RE2 takes place within in it, while Nemesis bookends it again and wrap's it up with the destruction of Raccoon City.
---
Take care, God bless, peace out.
GT: Mortal118
#7Grammaton485Posted 6/4/2012 8:20:02 PM
MasterAdeptAlex posted...
I'm currently rereading through all of them and so far. I've read Zero Hour, The Umbrella Conspiracy, and Caliban Cove (Finished reading it today) and now I'm on City of the Dead. But the order of the books gets somewhat confusing between CotD, Nemesis, and Underworld. CotD starts with Jill packing up in her house and getting ready to infiltrate Umbrella's HQ in Australia with Chris and Barry. But from what I remember from the games chronological order. RE3 takes place before RE2 until Jill gets infected by Nemey at the Clock Tower, then RE2 takes place. So why did Perry start CotD with Jill leaving the City, when in the games, Jill was in Raccoon City the whole time and never left, but by some means shes in the RC during the RE3 book despite her leaving RC at the beginning of CotD?

I think Perry wrote them as the games were released (correct me someone if I'm wrong)? So she wrote Umbrella Conspiracy with RE 1, and City of the Dead with RE2. But I don't think she knew that RE 2 was coming out, which is why she wrote Caliban Cove. It also explains the erratic movement of S.T.A.R.S (like Jill in Nemesis and why she came BACK to Raccoon City.)

Capcom kept taking steps back in their storyline, which was breaking Perry's storylines. This is even more noticeable in Zero Hour, simply for the sake that in Umbrella Conspiracy, Alpha Team left as soon as Bravo lost contact. Nowhere near enough time for Rebecca to go through the events of RE 0 and still make it to the mansion during RE 1.

Eventually, in her later books, she acknowledges these breaks and changes in canon, saying they were out of her control.
#8CTU_007Posted 6/4/2012 9:50:44 PM
All I remember is the author had a massive hard on for Rebecca Chambers and some Gary Stu character named Trent.
#9Grammaton485Posted 6/5/2012 8:49:00 AM
CTU_007 posted...
All I remember is the author had a massive hard on for Rebecca Chambers and some Gary Stu character named Trent.

Guy whose parents invented the T-virus, secret motives to destroy Umbrella because they killed his parents, unlimited resources, ability to vanish into thin air?

Sounds about right.
#10Plant42Posted 6/5/2012 9:28:24 AM
I liked the first book a lot. I can remember getting it. For a while there would be a new book out every year around thanksgiving. I didn't care much for the original stories but Underworld was far better than Cove. Zero Hour, CoTD and Nemesis weren't bad either. I have to actually finish CoTD I started reading through it again a couple months back.