Casuals don't like scary games, RE will never be scary again

#81sheridanmovieguPosted 7/16/2012 10:45:32 PM
pillerofautumn posted...
It is though. There have always been casual gamers, but now with the Wii and motion gaming, children are starting at a much younger age and parents are also getting into the mix. Entire families are now gathering around the console to play games. And they certainly aren't gathering around to play Ninja Gaiden. Sure Mario Party was always around, but now there's a million party games and they're selling well. And those sales are bleeding over into everything else.

I started gaming when I was 5, and I know plenty of others who started that early too. And just becomes some soccer moms buy Wii-Fit doesn't mean that all games are going to become like that.

Sure, the Wii moved a lot of units, but its software sales were quite bad. It's only because they could sell each console for a profit that they did so well. The Kinect does alright, but it's not exactly hugely popular, nor are developers lining to make stuff for it. At most they grudgingly might add something like voice commands. And the Move is pretty much a colossal failure at this point. Even the Wii-U is seriously trying to court 3rd parties to bring back the hardcore market.

Believe me, motion gaming is not the enemy here, nor are the various non-gamers it brings in. And the Call of Duty dudebros might seem bad now, but if Activision knows how to do anything, it's run a series into the ground. They did it with skateboarding games, they did it with music games, they'll eventually do it with Call of Duty too.

And you know what? Video game life goes on. There's plenty of people making games that have nothing to do with that. And really, it's a stretch to say RE6 and CoD have much in common. Sure a marketing guy might say that to pick up some new players, but the games play nothing alike. Hell, it doesn't even play like Gears, another one people like to parrot.

So I think it's going to be okay. Some people like to get all doom and gloom about the video game industry, but from what I can see, it's the same peaks and valleys that I've always remembered.
---
If HK-47 and GLaDOS had a child, the awesome character they create would cause the video game world to explode. Join the Revengers! (board#: 587986)
#82pillerofautumnPosted 7/17/2012 8:02:33 AM
I started gaming when I was 5, and I know plenty of others who started that early too. And just becomes some soccer moms buy Wii-Fit doesn't mean that all games are going to become like that.

But they are becoming streamlined. Which can be a positive or negative, depending on what kind of gamer you are. Think about Morrowind. A casual would probably stay as far away from that game as possible. They threw you into a world and told you to go, and that's it. It was a mess of menus and reading, and it was amazing. Oblivion and Skyrim got rid of a lot of the freedom, not just by using waypoints and fast travel, but they actually took out a lot of features. Dragon Age, even Mass Effect. A lot of great series slowly turned to streamline to make it more accessible to more people. Accessible is great for that guy with the sea-doo, but it's not great for me.

And I'm not saying motion gaming is the enemy at all. But it does go to show that casual gaming is a big part of the market. It's no surprise devs are trying to cater to both sides.

But I never said RE6 and CoD have anything in common, nor do I agree with it. Someone who says something like that is just mad and doesn't know how to properly display that anger. Or they're just trolling. But this is definitely much more of a shooter than ever before. Not saying they did this to draw in FPS gamers, but that is what it is doing.

You're absolutely right about one thing though, I think it's going to be okay too. It's not going to be quality gaming like before, but at least there still are great games coming out.

I hope you aren't implying that I, as a casual gamer, cannot handle complex games or games that require time to progress...

You're the one who said you have no time to play games cause you're doing backflips on your sea-doo or whatever.
#83sheridanmovieguPosted 7/17/2012 8:26:51 AM
pillerofautumn posted...
But they are becoming streamlined. Which can be a positive or negative, depending on what kind of gamer you are. Think about Morrowind. A casual would probably stay as far away from that game as possible. They threw you into a world and told you to go, and that's it. It was a mess of menus and reading, and it was amazing. Oblivion and Skyrim got rid of a lot of the freedom, not just by using waypoints and fast travel, but they actually took out a lot of features. Dragon Age, even Mass Effect. A lot of great series slowly turned to streamline to make it more accessible to more people. Accessible is great for that guy with the sea-doo, but it's not great for me.

See, this is where I say a bit of streamlining is okay. Morrowind was a game I could never get in to, not because it was too hard or too confusing. It just felt clunky as hell. Everything being menu-based turned me right the hell off, and I went in thinking I was going to love that game.

When Oblivion came out a few years later, that one did it for me. I felt immersed in that world.

I would not consider myself a casual gamer. I'm not exactly short on free time, but games that feel needlessly complex to me just tend to annoy me.
---
If HK-47 and GLaDOS had a child, the awesome character they create would cause the video game world to explode. Join the Revengers! (board#: 587986)
#84FreshSushiPosted 7/17/2012 9:35:52 AM
The reason RE will never be scary again is because of either or both these things: The horror genre doesn't sell as well as action, games are way more expensive to make then they were before. Casuals? What are you smoking? The emergence of a new market does not suddenly stuff out the old one (aka us "hardcore" gamers).
---
AE 2012: (Yun, Gouken), LoL: (J4),
Guys, I'm the defender of tomorrow (.0.)
#85ElGado(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2012 1:52:44 PM
FreshSushi posted...
The reason RE will never be scary again is because of either or both these things: The horror genre doesn't sell as well as action, games are way more expensive to make then they were before. Casuals? What are you smoking? The emergence of a new market does not suddenly stuff out the old one (aka us "hardcore" gamers).

The $$$ of the casual market has shifted the way video games are made today. They are no longer as difficult, and in RE's case, not even the same genre.

I would love for a really good survival horror game to come back (the quality of the old RE's) but 2 million copies sold isn't good enough for developers these days. They want 5 mil +.
---
GT: Nub Executioner