Moral debate: Was William Birkin really a bad guy?

#1GreatJallopiPosted 8/20/2012 11:27:50 AM
As we all know, William Birkin was the main antagonist of Resident Evil 2, who mutated many times due to infecting himself with the G-virus after an attempted assassination from USS Alpha Team. He also completed Marcus's T-virus research and went on to create his own G-virus.

But to what extent was he ACTUALLY bad? Most of the bad things he did were strictly following orders. He and Wesker were assigned by Spencer to handle the assassination of James Marcus due to his attempts to withhold his T-virus research. Okay, so he helped develop two of the most dangerous viral strands the world would ever know, but that was his occupation.

The reason HUNK's team was sent in to retrieve the G-virus was because Birkin wanted to sell it to the U.S. government. He knew Umbrella's evil intentions with the use of it, and if the transaction went through, it's usage would only be as malicious as the United States government. He had a change of heart.

I know a lot of the stuff he did was bad, but I'm convinced that in the end, he wasn't that bad of a guy. Plus without him Sherry wouldn't have been born, and damn does she look fine by 2012.
---
I am the cheese. I am the best character on the show. I am better than both the salami and the bologna combined.
#2RineN1Posted 8/20/2012 11:48:38 AM
I think he was obssesed more than evil
And about he doing bad things because of orders, you have to take in mind it was Umbrella. Do you really think they will let him slip out if he wanted? Im pretty sure they might send his best friend after him!
---
GT: RineN1. State you are from here before adding!
Waiting for: RE 6 (360). Playing: RE 5 (360) Dead Island (360) La Tale (PC)
#3NocturneD85Posted 8/20/2012 4:52:17 PM
Going to have to agree with the above poster.

Birkin was obsessed with his work and wanted it for himself. Treated it practically like his baby like Marcus with the Progenitor/Leaches and does not want anyone to interfere. Refused to hand it over for Umbrella, boom, dead and became his own creation...
---
Itachi Uchiha's Liscense Plate: ULAK H8RED
#4ravenscourgePosted 8/20/2012 5:18:29 PM
"I won't let them take you from me, my precious G-virus."

He was obviously obsessive over it, but for what purpose? It was an unpredictable bioweapon. If he saw Umbrella as not going to give him his cut, what else would he have done with it other than just sell it to someone else? I dont think he intended to become a monster, kill his wife, and rape his daughter with G-AIDS, but I certainly don't think he was a good guy either.

I'd liken him to a Nazi scientist. He may not be out causing the crimes so to speak, but he certainly was involved in creating terrible things with no positive side to them.
---
XBL - k0mRaDe Kr1m5oN PSN - ravenscourge
Sindel, Kitana, and Raiden. <3
#5admiral84Posted 8/20/2012 6:49:22 PM
GreatJallopi posted...
As we all know, William Birkin was the main antagonist of Resident Evil 2, who mutated many times due to infecting himself with the G-virus after an attempted assassination from USS Alpha Team. He also completed Marcus's T-virus research and went on to create his own G-virus.

But to what extent was he ACTUALLY bad? Most of the bad things he did were strictly following orders. He and Wesker were assigned by Spencer to handle the assassination of James Marcus due to his attempts to withhold his T-virus research. Okay, so he helped develop two of the most dangerous viral strands the world would ever know, but that was his occupation.

The reason HUNK's team was sent in to retrieve the G-virus was because Birkin wanted to sell it to the U.S. government. He knew Umbrella's evil intentions with the use of it, and if the transaction went through, it's usage would only be as malicious as the United States government. He had a change of heart.

I know a lot of the stuff he did was bad, but I'm convinced that in the end, he wasn't that bad of a guy. Plus without him Sherry wouldn't have been born, and damn does she look fine by 2012.

I thought he was trading it for safety, it's been a while. Was he inheritly evil? No, but he did ignore his daughter and willingly create a bio weapon for a company he knew would use it. He's not getting out of this unblemished.
---
XBL Tag: StandloneCmplex
That's funny, my kids are called Morrowind, Vivec and Mudcrab Merchant. ~Solusx2
#6DetBeauregardPosted 8/21/2012 12:46:33 AM
NocturneD85 posted...
Birkin was obsessed with his work and wanted it for himself.

This pretty much sums it up. If he couldn't have it himself, no one would. And if they did, he had better have been well compensated for it.

William was easily my favorite villain (and perhaps character) in the series, and we was, although not as some as most, evil.

He could have cared less about the negative effects of the G-virus upon the population; his aim was to create a "super soldier" that was far beyond what could have been made via the much inferior T-virus. Do you really think that he would have stood next to a dying Marcus and, beside Wesker, exclaim that he himself would take over Macrus's unethical research so proudly if he had a strong moral compass?

The man was the definition of a sociopath. Not as bad as Wesker, perhaps, but regardless, he was evil. Brilliant, yet evil. I don't believe Annette was as malicious in the end (after all, she showed remorse by saying that she could have been a better mother), but William without a doubt was.

William injected himself with the G-virus solely as a last-ditch attempt to save his own life, as HE, and HE alone, was the creator of the "miraculous" G-virus. He knew that it probably wouldn't work (since it wasn't completed yet), but it didn't matter. HE, in some form or another, would be saved. His own well-being was all he knew. He was a sociopath.

Such is the tragedy of the entire Raccoon outbreak's story. One man's selfishness and greed turned into an entire town full of victims. It's stories like this that originally drew me to this series.

Wesker's popularity was blown out of proportion because he wore all black and donned sunglasses 24/7, but Birkin was a villain with far more depth to his character, in my opinion.
#7NizzidramaniiytPosted 8/21/2012 8:57:22 AM
None of them are truly 'evil'. As far as society is concerned, they are deviants, or like someone siad, 'obsessed' by some ideal.
#8EleczoroPosted 8/21/2012 2:05:19 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9Lost7thPosted 8/21/2012 2:06:09 PM
Nizzidramaniiyt posted...
None of them are truly 'evil'. .

his work was bioweapon that turns people into horrible abominations. That's evil, he's evil.
---
Dremcast games that still need HD: Power Stone, Shenmue Project Justice, Grandia 2, Skies of Arcadia, PSO
#10EleczoroPosted 8/21/2012 2:06:43 PM
This is a question I ask of the people who thinks Birkin is evil. Would you consider Einstein or the other people who helped create the atomic bomb to be evil? Honest question