Gosh, who needs instruction manuals?

#1VaporFoxPosted 10/4/2012 9:04:39 PM
Apparently nobody does, according to Capcom.

Yeah, let's just throw "four unique gameplay styles" (quoted from the back of the game case) at the player, toss in a totally minimalistic "tutorial", and string everyone along with the very rare helpful hint in loading screens you barely have 3 seconds to read before the game finishes loading. What could go wrong?

Oi, I could go on for an hour about all the poor design choices Capcom made with this game (Seriously, I shouldn't have to buy/use a "skill" to friggen AIM BETTER), but I'll just mention one here besides the obvious topic in the title of this thread: WHY the hell can I not legitimately PAUSE THE GAME if I'm playing offline single player? Yeah, let's make the player totally unable to take any kind of breather or mess with the settings for more than 5 seconds without some infinitely spawning zombie chewing on your ankle while you're (heh) "paused".

Jeezus, for a company that's been making video games for over 20 years, it's mind-boggling how some of the most basic "no-brainer" features consistently seem to elude Capcom games. It's like they're borderline autistic or something. They're so focused on making sure every vein on Chris' boulder-punching biceps looks perfect that they can't see more than a foot in front of themselves. -_-

I digress though. I'm mostly pissed that they continued the increasingly rampant trend of releasing a game with little to no instruction manual. NO, I shouldn't have to go to some ****ing website to see an "online manual". And NO, paper wasn't a preciously rare natural resource last time I checked. So what...gives? I know it can cut down on costs, but it's not like Capcom is a budding company with a limited budget to scrap together.

I can forgive a lack of a physical manual as long as there's an in-depth tutorial, or if the game at least maps the controls out for you in their entirety on a screen somewhere, but they didn't do EITHER of those things in RE6. Instead, they want you to go spend another $20 on the "official" strategy guide, which likely tells you all the things an instruction manual is SUPPOSED TO TELL YOU.

<insert minute of nonstop swearing and ranting concerning how companies like Capcom are fisting their fanbase at every turn HERE> -_-
---
"Only the dead have seen the end of war." -- Plato
Xbox Live Gamertag: Valorik
#2unclesokPosted 10/4/2012 9:08:02 PM
You can pause the game by pressing start as long as you make the setting offline in the menu before you start the
game.
---
How can men who've never seen light be enlightened?
#3sloth_of_doomPosted 10/4/2012 9:08:59 PM
I was pretty unhappy to see there was no manual, I'm always unhappy with manuals these days
#4VincentVegaPosted 10/4/2012 9:16:45 PM(edited)
http://static.capcom.com/manuals/re6/RE6_PS3_DMNL_EN.pdf

/thread.

*edit* whoops. That's the ps3 version. Can't find the 360 but this should help http://game.capcom.com/manual/bio6/en/index.html

Plus you can pause the game. Must have your settings wrong.
---
"I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work."
Old Snake in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
#5JascoDPosted 10/4/2012 9:10:46 PM(edited)
I see the color RED.

Also, you can pause the game, learn how to properly adjust the options before playing!

EDIT: This board is moving so ****ing fast that you are late on everything here!
---
Itchy Tasty!
#6Silent_21_SnakePosted 10/4/2012 9:10:39 PM
It really makes no sense why they don't have a button layout in the options, or on the menu like just about every other game does. Driving me mental too, i still can't figure out how to quick equip a herb into my inventory rather than enter my tablet, or whatever it's called, convoluted mess, then assign from there. Also can't remember how to dodge or jump shoot.

Button layout would drastically improve my enjoyment of this game too, you start out getting destroyed left right and center with zero button help. Most frustrating thing, is because you can't pause, you can't even stop the game to get your bearings regarding the buttons. Makes even normal mode difficult. Shouldn't have to disconnect from invite only settings so you can pause just to go to the bathroom. Really don't know why they can't just show the controller in the menu with arrows indicating what does what, would make things a thousand times easier.
---
"In my restless dreams. I see that town..Silent Hill"
#7Crimsin_GibletPosted 10/4/2012 9:13:35 PM(edited)
I agree with the no manual being bs, as small of an issue as it is. For some reason I guess they felt everyone needed two slips of paper advertising Damnation instead, because just one would definitely not be enough. I did get some cool character stickers though which come will all walmart copies, which by the way, has its own cover(just the normal cover) with a "walmart exclusive" label on it. It's not just a sticker though, it was printed on, which I thought was kind of weird, why go through all that trouble for a store like walmart? Back to my original statement though, I really wish it would have at least come with a move list for each of the characters.
---
Brute Chiefbans are on their way.
#8JascoDPosted 10/4/2012 9:13:33 PM
Silent_21_Snake posted...
It really makes no sense why they don't have a button layout in the options, or on the menu like just about every other game does. Driving me mental too, i still can't figure out how to quick equip a herb into my inventory rather than enter my tablet, or whatever it's called, convoluted mess, then assign from there. Also can't remember how to dodge or jump shoot.

Button layout would drastically improve my enjoyment of this game too, you start out getting destroyed left right and center with zero button help. Most frustrating thing, is because you can't pause, you can't even stop the game to get your bearings regarding the buttons. Makes even normal mode difficult. Shouldn't have to disconnect from invite only settings so you can pause just to go to the bathroom. Really don't know why they can't just show the controller in the menu with arrows indicating what does what, would make things a thousand times easier.

Strange. How exactly does this manual look like in the US? The European one is a 2 page brochure that shows the whole X360 controller and what every buttons does.

It also has pictures that show some melee attacks and cover tactics. Looking at it the first time made me think about Street Fighter 4 manual. :)
---
Itchy Tasty!
#9VincentVegaPosted 10/4/2012 9:14:46 PM
The US version has n manual. Just an ad for Resident Evil Damnation.
---
"I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work."
Old Snake in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
#10Silent_21_SnakePosted 10/4/2012 9:16:21 PM
JascoD posted...
Silent_21_Snake posted...

Strange. How exactly does this manual look like in the US? The European one is a 2 page brochure that shows the whole X360 controller and what every buttons does.

It also has pictures that show some melee attacks and cover tactics. Looking at it the first time made me think about Street Fighter 4 manual. :)

I have an ad for Damnation. Whole lot of good that is when am being swarmed, while you are here though can you help me quickly? In your manual, can you tell what buttons to press for dodge and jump shot? I did it in the demo no end, but, no way of knowing what any of the buttons are.
---
"In my restless dreams. I see that town..Silent Hill"