S Rank hunters - PAUSE is your enemy

#1pobattiPosted 10/10/2012 10:42:14 PM
I just found this out the hard way - now I'm not totally sure that this wasn't a glitch or anything (it could just be a one off) but for now I'm going to assume PAUSE has some kinks with it.

As you know, as long as your OFFLINE you can hit the START button to pause the game. This freezes the action, displaying the word "PAUSED", while you go to the toilet or answer the phone. That's what PAUSE does in every game usually.

Now I'm pretty used to this game by now. I'm not amazing, but I can generally clock Leon's Chapter 5 in about 35 minutes and have done so consistently for a while. Today I had another go, trying to get that elusive S. I avoided missing too many shots, kept my pace up and killed as many zombies as I could without getting too bogged down.

Once at the main boss fight, I was suddenly called away, on other business that lasted nearly two hours. I had my game on pause the whole time, so it didn't really bother me much. Eventually I returned to my game, unpaused, beat the boss, skipped the ending and waited in anticipation until the results screen popped up.

I got a B. A stinking B. Apparently I'd manage an 87.9% hit ratio so my accuracy was fine (A Rank), I'd killed plenty of zombies (A Rank) - no, what let me down was the time taken. A whopping 2 HOURS 46 MINUTES!

So unless the game just happened to misbehave on me, it looks as though the game's internal clock (which you're ranked by at the end) continues counting even WHILE the game is PAUSED.

I certainly didn't spend nearly 3 hours sat doing that one mission.
#2AJM_RulerPosted 10/10/2012 11:34:25 PM
Sucks to be you sorry you learned the hard way, lol.
---
Games can be paused, women cannot. Behold this wisdom.
#3pobatti(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2012 11:43:22 PM
AJM_Ruler posted...
Sucks to be you sorry you learned the hard way, lol.

Well I wasn't that particularly bothered, nothing another half-hour on the game didn't almost immediately solve. But it did make this issue apparent, something I'd suspected for a while but was never actually certain of.

Just letting you folks know, because in-game timers don't (usually) run while a game is paused but RE6 decided to be different. Maybe it's because you can't even pause it while online so they kind of punish people who over use it - maybe :)
#4Offworlder1Posted 10/10/2012 11:47:38 PM
Its some old BS they decided to punish the player, if you are suddenly called away to do something pause should pause everything, the game and timer. The fact they allow this game to have a continuous timer even in pause is not right, things happen and pause is there for a reason, if they were going to con players this way why even allow the player to pause.
---
"Always two there are, a master and an apprentice"
#5yoda7797Posted 10/10/2012 11:52:35 PM
If I remember correctly all the past Resident Evil games have been that way. Also cut scenes add time too, so skip them as well.
---
There are only 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand Binary and those who don't.
I'm an engeneer enginere engenere ....... I'm good with math.
#6y000012500Posted 10/10/2012 11:53:58 PM
Hmm, I think I've been paused for a good while and still have gotten an A.
#7pobatti(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2012 11:59:55 PM
y000012500 posted...
Hmm, I think I've been paused for a good while and still have gotten an A.

Yeah, this is why I haven't immediately been sure whether this was happening. For some of the stages, the allowed time for an A Rank is really over-generous. There have been lots of times I wasn't particularly bothered by the S Rank (already got it) and was just looking all over the place for the hidden emblems - still got the A.

In my case in the OP, I had the game paused for literally around 2 hours. Now I can't be absolutely certain this always happens (could be a glitch) but I'm very certain I didn't take over two hours with controller in hand getting to that boss.

Though, as a poster above mentioned (and I didn't realise) RE has always been like this, so I really only confirmed what a lot of people probably already knew :)

I did wonder why my grades and times seemed to improve once I started skipping all the scenes once I'd seen them already.
#8Stray_ZeroPosted 10/11/2012 1:43:14 AM
You know what would have been more simple TC, quit the game after "Saving" comes up, and then come back to it later.

That could have saved you a lot of time, I know something like this would happen, so yeah, a step ahead, lol. :3
---
"The Alternate Truth is yet to be Found" - XBL/PSN/YT/TW: NeoStrayCat (=^_^=)
#9pobatti(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2012 1:47:42 AM
Stray_Zero posted...
You know what would have been more simple TC, quit the game after "Saving" comes up, and then come back to it later.

That could have saved you a lot of time, I know something like this would happen, so yeah, a step ahead, lol. :3

Well, you don't always expect to be dragged away from the game for such extended periods. I figured it would be sorted real quick and I'd be back in my seat in a jiffy. Knowing my luck I would have been back much sooner, but been sent further back in the level than I'd originally expected if I'd done that :)
#10Stray_ZeroPosted 10/11/2012 1:51:29 AM
Well, technically, it'll load up the last "saved" spot in the chapter you were on, not play the chapter from the beginning though. :3
---
"The Alternate Truth is yet to be Found" - XBL/PSN/YT/TW: NeoStrayCat (=^_^=)