why did re evolve? serious discussion

#1Exile71186Posted 10/12/2012 3:01:02 AM(edited)
I enjoy re6 for what it is, I understand there vision of what resident evil is now is not the same as it was then... But I have to ask why did it have to change? Let me explain...

Let's take a look at dead space, the first one was great survival horror.. that being said the second one had much higher production values and was highly.rated among reviewers... They still kept true to the survival horror aspect... Even if they mainstreamed it a little... But then.. it was still considered a huge success... But now with 3 they added coop, just like the resident evil series.. why? Why the need to change it up? Sales you might say? People right now are craving survival horror...

Example dayz mod, this mod brings survival horror to the max, not only does this mod have over 1.2 million players it increased the sales of arma by 500%... And its just a mod some dude made up..

people are so hooked on zombies and survival horror I can't believe these developers haven't gone back to the old formula or made something new yet... Blows my mind
#2PoopMasterGoetzPosted 10/12/2012 3:10:05 AM
Exile71186 posted...
People right now are craving survival horror...

No they're not. Horror is a dying genre. Resident Evil evolved so it would be lucrative. The gaming industry is a business.

people are so hooked on zombies and survival horror I can't believe these developers haven't gone back to the old formula or made something new yet... Blows my mind

People are hooked on zombies, not survival horror -- like Left 4 Dead, Dead Rising. So what did Capcom do? They brought back zombies, but not survival horror.
---
Gamertag: Triple Escape
http://www.facebook.com/gotacoolname
#3DarkD3stinyPosted 10/12/2012 3:12:17 AM
Fans were complaining that the re style play was getting stale also sales were dropping so Capcom decided to listen to fans and change the play style. It may of stayed survival horror if the fans had supported Capcom enough but they didn't.
---
My favourite re game is re6. Yes it has flaws but its basically a better version of re4 and re5.
#4Vivaldi7Posted 10/12/2012 3:30:21 AM
PoopMasterGoetz posted...
Exile71186 posted...
People right now are craving survival horror...

No they're not. Horror is a dying genre.

horse ****.

Horror is a niche genre I suppose ; but it's fanbase is pretty stable.

But production costs go up if one INSISTS on making the game more elaborate, to put it diplomatically, than it honestly needs to be.

Investment vs revenue.
The contemporary plague of the world atm. not just in videogameland.

-----

TL;DR : yeah, MONEY , and the morons in charge believing in and thus expecting/demanding eternal growth.
---
---
"Saxon = joke account - I might put that in my sig." - MrXbox360_2012
#5blankempathyPosted 10/12/2012 4:08:01 AM
DarkD3stiny posted...
Fans were complaining that the re style play was getting stale also sales were dropping so Capcom decided to listen to fans and change the play style. It may of stayed survival horror if the fans had supported Capcom enough but they didn't.

The last Re game that was available to the majority of the public was code veronica. Re remake and zero while hailed critically as amazing games, especially remake, were only available on a smaller market, the gamecube.
---
SSBB Emp FC - 4983-4589-2680 Southern Californian Brawler
#6DarkD3stinyPosted 10/12/2012 4:55:20 AM
blankempathy posted...
DarkD3stiny posted...

The last Re game that was available to the majority of the public was code veronica. Re remake and zero while hailed critically as amazing games, especially remake, were only available on a smaller market, the gamecube.

Excuses excuses lol got to blame anything instead of taking responsibility for it was because of our lack of supporting Capcom that caused re to change.
---
My favourite re game is re6. Yes it has flaws but its basically a better version of re4 and re5.
#7CrunchyzPosted 10/12/2012 5:32:05 AM
RE evolved because videogames and videogamers were evolving.
You should all be proud of RE. RE4 introduced a revolutionary new way of playing third person games which is still used today.
---
Marksmanship Rule #1: TAKE YOUR FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER, MAGGOT!
#8chaoscontrol325Posted 10/12/2012 5:45:59 AM
Crunchyz posted...
RE evolved because videogames and videogamers were evolving.
You should all be proud of RE. RE4 introduced a revolutionary new way of playing third person games which is still used today.

This is true. RE4 made the Shouldercam view popular and I have to say that it's the best point of view for TPS games. I'm thankful of RE4 for doing that.
---
PSN: Lazuri65
XBL:LazuriXIII
#9aluccardPosted 10/12/2012 5:50:35 AM
The consensus was that Resident Evil had run out of gas by the time RE Zero came along, at least by the critics. I remember reading the reviews on RE0 and nearly every one was saying that the series was out of ideas and the gameplay was outdated.
Go back and read the RE4 reviews, nearly all of them say this as well. They praise Re4 for reinventing the series and making it relevant again.

Personally, I do agree with that only because I don't think Re0 was one of the stronger games in the series, but I still liked the gameplay. Although, after RE4 came out I definitely agreed with them. I think Re4 is the best in the series (and I wanted to hate it after seeing the initial screenshots), but I would definitely be cool with getting another old school RE game....even if it was a live arcade game or something.
---
-Aluccard
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 6
#10JamanjaxPosted 10/12/2012 5:51:02 AM

This, tbh. And for good reason. As we moved into a new generation of gaming, the archaic mechanics of classic RE just wouldn't have worked, no matter how much I love the older games.

Beyond that, I personally feel that horror works better on a more intimate, psychological, and character-driven scale. Hence the reason RE2 is my favorite of the classic games. But the thing is, no matter how well it worked in RE2, Capcom has never went for smaller scale, personal stories. RE1 has been the closest to that, but it was clearly leading up to something bigger.

And you know, that's fine by me. Though the horror aspect may be lost on a story the scale of what RE is today, I never found RE all that scary to begin with, outside of when I was a kid. I enjoy the series for giving me all sorts of far-fetched B.O.W.s to kill, and a cheesy, B movie style plot to back it up. The current style allows Capcom to do that with much more finesse.

When I want horror, I'll go back to Silent Hill or Eternal Darkness for a bit. Lol
---
He who has the blues, has a good thing.